(Topic ID: 166394)

GI Relay turns off when coin door closed??

By Bos98

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Bos98
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8854_(resized).jpg
IMG_8859_(resized).jpg
IMG_8862_(resized).jpg
IMG_8855_(resized).jpg
IMG_8853_(resized).jpg
IMG_8852_(resized).jpg
IMG_8845_(resized).JPG
IMG_8829_(resized).PNG
IMG_20160815_022339_(resized).jpg
IMG_8799_(resized).JPG
IMG_8777_(resized).JPG
IMG_8787_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bos98.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Skip to my latest post for a summary of what has been done already

I just picked up a Royal Rumble. It had some alkaline corrosion and was rebooting or telling me the coindoor was opened when it wasn't.

I replaced the socket and M6802. Game boots up and does play but if the coin door is closed the middle and upper GI turns off. If I open the coin door it turns back on.

While I am sure I can eventually track this down a pointer in the right direction would be appreciated. I am hoping it isn't from the replacement socket and CPU chip.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Board prior to repair.

The 7402 doesn't look that great and I have a socket and a spare I could put in but I don't think that is related to the GI unless it controls a transistor that controls the GI Relay??

IMG_8787_(resized).JPGIMG_8787_(resized).JPG

IMG_8777_(resized).JPGIMG_8777_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

I am not brave!!!

Nothing seems shorted by the coin door. Is it possible an bad transistor could be causing this?

#8 7 years ago

In a coil test I get some crazy stuff happening.

Video coming up

#9 7 years ago

#10 7 years ago

So CN12 connector was also corroded. When I repinned it and put it back in I noticed some arcing and sizzle coming from Q23 above it. Time to replace some transistors.

#12 7 years ago

I did all of that. Replaced the 6802 and the socket, replaced the 7402 with a socket and new chip. I replaced a 4401 that was not good for the GI and replaced the connector for CN12.

Checked for shorts anywhere I could with a visible inspection. Fired the game back up... literally

I believe the one transistor closest to the left is not wired to anything and the other is the Ramp diverter.

I pulled the wires out of the harness for the diverter and the fire is gone. GI is still not coming on unless the coin door is opened still.

#13 7 years ago

I am guessing coil diode is shot on the ramp diverter under the mini playfield so I will rip that all apart tomorrow and check it. I will then repair the board again replacing the 4401 and TIP102 for each coil.

Also if I pull that harness at CN12 the GI lights up with the coin door open. I guess something wired to that harness is shorted somewhere

#14 7 years ago

So I think I figured out what may be killing at least one set of transistors.

IMG_8799_(resized).JPGIMG_8799_(resized).JPG

This should be 50.2 Ohms resistance and mine measures 0.0

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5031-00

$30 + Shipping ouch.

Still no idea why the GI wont work unless the coin door is opened unless this being on the same harness and being faulty is the cause.

#17 7 years ago

I removed the diode and disconnected the coil before testing but I did not notice if it was shorted to the bracket. I will check it later today.

#18 7 years ago

So I tested some other stuff with my meter and got bizarre results. I went and bought a new meter and retested that first coil. It is fine at 52.2 ohms. I replaced the diode on it because I had it out of the game, and no it was not shorting to the bracket.

Since I intended on ripping the game apart and rebuilding everything I am going to re-diode every coil.

Did anyone notice that some flashers fired when I was in coil test in the first video? I am guessing a short exists there too.

#19 7 years ago

Just adding this to help keep my thoughts organized. I am going to replace the diodes on the coils after testing each one that is connected to those transistors and replace the a/b relay on the PPB and check and replace the tip36c's associated and pull the 7408 that is controlling CN12.

I can't think of anything else it could be. I tore down the entire playfield while I wait for parts and pulled every bulb and flasher. I checked for anything shorted, loose or pinched and found nothing.

IMG_8829_(resized).PNGIMG_8829_(resized).PNG

#20 7 years ago

Ok so I replaced every coil diode and tested every coil.

I replaced the transistors and predrive transistors. I replaced the 7408. I repinned the GI connector. I reflowed all the pins on the PPB and replaced the A/B relay.

The GI relay turns off when coin door switch shown in the photo here on the left is pushed in or pulled out all the way.

Additionally if I remove the GI harness from the power board I can still hear the relay click on and off as I open and close the coin door. I would think this would indicate it is not a wiring issue with the GI but something else possibly on the power supply board.

IMG_8845_(resized).JPGIMG_8845_(resized).JPG

#22 7 years ago

So I just got crazy and replaced every transistor and pre-drive transistor, the other 7408 chips and the TIP36c transistors on the PPB.

All good now and put back together.

IMG_8852_(resized).jpgIMG_8852_(resized).jpg

IMG_8853_(resized).jpgIMG_8853_(resized).jpg

IMG_8855_(resized).jpgIMG_8855_(resized).jpg

IMG_8862_(resized).jpgIMG_8862_(resized).jpg

IMG_8859_(resized).jpgIMG_8859_(resized).jpg

IMG_8854_(resized).jpgIMG_8854_(resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

For sale on Cleveland Craigslist: cleveland.craigslist.org link

#25 7 years ago

I almost just started replacing things to use my new Hakko

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bos98.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-wwfrr-gi-turns-off-when-coindoor-is-closed?tu=bos98 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.