1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Clnilsen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

292192721_764862254954785_8218472959867506693_n (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Oh my!

Pic included on a FB post from the Super Awesome Pinball show, reported are from a unproduced Data East machine.

"BONUS! Here's a rare look at the proposed backglass artwork for a Data East pin based on Universal Studios Park. DE got tangled in an impossible web of licensing and in the end Gary Stern was not feeling the strength of the IP, so it was scraped. Thanks to Joe Kaminkow for sharing this image from his personal collection."

I had no idea this was a thing - does anyone have any more detail? Playfield layout? Art?

As a long time Universal Parks Team Member that is involved with licensing, I can imagine this would have a been a quagmire to get through approvals.

I need to know more about this!

292192721_764862254954785_8218472959867506693_n (resized).jpg292192721_764862254954785_8218472959867506693_n (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

This could have been really cool!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This could have been really cool!

Hook originally was going to be a theme park pin if I recall and it was reworked.

This might have been what the backglass was going to look like.

#4 1 year ago

Neat! I wonder if Joe has any pictures of the total recall pin

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Hook originally was going to be a theme park pin if I recall and it was reworked.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1233

Designer Tim Seckel states that 'Hook' started out as 'Universal Studios Theme Park', "a game that was only in drawing/concept/ideation stage. It never made it very far. Hook opportunity came up and it quickly took on that name and game development."

#6 1 year ago

Wow... Never knew about this or the prototype backglass with the hologram. There is a link at the bottom of the page with a YouTube video of it.

#7 1 year ago

this would have been great !

#8 1 year ago

This is so cool! I'm a huge Universal fan and have wondered for a long time whether there could ever be a theme park-themed game (actual park, not Roller Coaster Tycoon). In a way, I'm a little relieved this game wasn't made, because I find this era of DE games pretty disappointing. But I'm sure it still would have been a cool game.

In terms of a theme park based game, I think the challenge is that there are so many iconic elements to the parks and it would be nearly impossible to narrow them down. For example: if you did a Disneyland game, you may think "I want there to be a big, eerily lit 'Haunted Mansion' toy that you can hit the ball into...and then a cool 'Space Mountain' ramp...", but by then you've used a majority of the real estate of the game, which means you're left with a "Jungle Cruise drop target" and a "Peter Pan orbit", which is pretty underwhelming (to say nothing of the big Castle).

The more I've thought about it though, this seems like something that could really play to the P3's strength: The basic layout could be the various pathways of the park, and then when you start a ride mode, the screen and shots transform to that ride. So now you've got ~7 different "hallways" in the Haunted Mansion, or various "rivers" on the Jungle Cruise, complete with video effects etc. [This is basically what they've done with the Weird Al game, and is part of the reason why I think it's going to be a great step up for music-themed pins].

Thanks for posting this! I'm a little starstruck to know you're a long-time Universal team member.

#9 1 year ago

Wish there was a way to get a hold of the Hook designer to see if there was anything else. Wow… I finally land my grail and another comes in my path. Ugh!

I’m going to ask some of the legal people around if these ever heard of this. Given the timing of the hook game…. UO would have just opened. Hmm…

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-universal-studios-unproduced-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.