Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have a deal in place to purchase a Tommy at a decent price. I'll be going to check it out in person this weekend. I've played one before and enjoyed it. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions or watchouts for it?

Thanks,
    Steve

#2 11 years ago

The major watch out is the blinders. Make sure everything is there.

#3 11 years ago

blinders are not a issue common rc servo motor and a replacement pcb has been made. I installed a chime unit and shaker motor in mine years ago. Look on pinballnews for the article.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinb0t:

The major watch out is the blinders. Make sure everything is there.

Bingo!

Make sure you go into test mode to make sure that they are working properly. Also look for tears etc.

#5 11 years ago

I picked one up just a couple days ago from a reputable Pin community member (at the Michigan Expo). I wanted one months ago for nostalgic reasons...I am old fashioned here. Could never find one that I could grab before, someone always arrived before me before I had a chance Anyway...fast forward...I am happy. I just took a break 1 minute ago to come here after playing it a bit. I worked all day and as typical for me could not wait to get home and care for the new pin (family member) lol. Another coat of McGuires NXT...lil novus 1-2 in a few spots..then time to play. I like the game. Realize though I am an easy going person...I just adapt and am content with most situations or purchases I enter into. I do not nit-pick. Having said that. I enjoy the game and am happy with adding it to my collection I like the music. I am not like some others that wish it was the original Who music. It is what it is. I enjoy listening to it...so far anyway? The Blinders are unreal...I do not think this will/can ever be repeated in the pinball manufacturing community. Maybe...I do not see how though. Data East really nailed it with that feature! My Machine plays strong. Like others on the internet mention...that right upper ramp is tough though. Positioning the silver ball, to that upper left flipper, in order to hit into the lane or the mirror takes practice...challenging...fun...I wish I were better...lol...takes time I guess (poor grammar I know lol). Anyway, I am still discovering this pin and it's fun [or lack of fun, depending who you talk to]. So far though I think I am going to be enjoying this pin with my wife for many years to come!!!

Hope my lil post means something other than babble lol...like I said, I just got the pin a couple days ago and am still learning it!

Peace!
    PBD

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

pinb0t said:The major watch out is the blinders. Make sure everything is there.
    Bingo!
    Make sure you go into test mode to make sure that they are working properly. Also look for tears etc.

or just hold eb button on start up. Game will start in blind mode.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

RobT said:pinb0t said:The major watch out is the blinders. Make sure everything is there.
    Bingo!

Cool, I didn't even know that!

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

blinders are not a issue common rc servo motor and a replacement pcb has been made.

Blinders are an issue because they are commonly missing from these games for whatever reason. Sure you can get the motor and PCB but not the actual blinders, not that I'm aware of at least.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

I know I'm going to regret asking but, "eb button"?

#10 11 years ago

Steve-in-CT...regret you will indeed You ignorant, no good, rotten, misinformed son of a ....[bleep]. Lol..just kidding my friend.

EB=Extra ball. Pushing that button in, while you depress the start button, will trigger the Tommy blinders to extend out...for the entire game. You will be challenged with playing without the option of observing the silver ball contact the flippers. You will feel(see, or lack of sight) like, "Tommy"!!!!!!

#11 11 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. If I end up taking it, I'll post pix.

Steve

#12 11 years ago

I've got one. The video mode on it is *so bad* it sort of ruins the game for me. I've heard that it isn't complete, and that it scores you totally randomly, which seems to be about right from what I've seen. I *hate* most video modes, and this one is so spectacularly bad it brings the rest of the game down for me.

Having said that, it's more or less stuck in my basement, and every time I mention that I might sell it, I have a bunch off offers for it. Haven't done it yet though.

#13 11 years ago

If it didn't have a bad video mode then it wouldn't be true to Tommy the movie.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Raikus:

LOL

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Raikus:

I guess there is something to the fact that if you play it with your eyes closed, you have just as much of a shot of scoring well on it than if you play it with your eyes open...

#16 11 years ago

Love the music and playing this pin. I did also think the video mode was lame.

#17 11 years ago

My biggest issue is the scoring seems out of whack. You could be having a horrible game but get a few jackpots and your score shoots through the roof. Just doesn't seem very balanced there.

#18 11 years ago

The video mode is pretty lame. Consider it a "drink beer mode" and it's more fun. It is a free 13,000,000M though. That's 5% of a replay.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from aberdeentp:

My biggest issue is the scoring seems out of whack. You could be having a horrible game but get a few jackpots and your score shoots through the roof. Just doesn't seem very balanced there.

I used to feel this way about JP, and I was talking with a *really* good player about it. I said that the one thing that I didn't like about JP was that you could play for 6 or 7 minutes, have an outstanding game, get through the Wizard mode and only end up with 400 mill, or you could have a 3 minute game, hit the right Jackpot sequence and score way better.

He said that since I know ahead of time that the Jackpot is worth so much more, that should be my main goal, and if it is, which game did I actually do better on? Well, the one I hit the jackpots on.

It's never bothered me since then on JP or any other game. Tommy is no different -- yeah, the Jackpots are huge, but the sequence to get them is extremely, extremely tough to do. I'd definitely say that if I could get through the sequence properly, I had a great game. I understand if people feel otherwise, and I'm glad that not all of my games are unbalanced like that.

Quoted from Natetheviking:

The video mode is pretty lame. Consider it a "drink beer mode" and it's more fun. It is a free 13,000,000M though. That's 5% of a replay.

I have jokingly told my friends that the video mode is the 'run to the fridge' mode. If you don't get there and back before it's over, you lose your ball.

#20 11 years ago

You guys are looking at the video mode all wrong. It's a great opportunity to stretch those legs and grab another cold one.

Edit: LOL! It looks like Dan and I had the exact same thought at the exact same time.

#21 11 years ago

Lyman did this game.... thats all i will say. I still to this day believe Tommy is the best DE trumping pop bumper and roses.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-tommy-thoughts-opinions-watchouts-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.