Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Alan_L
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 19 days ago

I just picked up a Data East Time Machine and the upper left hand corner ramp assembly is warped. The bottom of the dual ramps where the ball travels is badly bowed up in the middle instead of being flat. The center portion of this assembly is warped too. The seller indicated that the machine has been indoors for years and not exposed to high heat. What could have caused his? Do you think that there is any chance of flattening this assembly with a heat gun perhaps pressing down with a few blocks of wood?

I've looked for a replacement without success.

Thanks ,Alan

2 weeks later
#2 3 days ago

I have a Data East Monday Night Football and got a replacement ramp with the same bowed trough problem you have. The story I got was the ramp sat in an operator's pickup bed metal tool box in the heat in Phoenix for years. When he left the business, he sold off his extra parts. I bought the ramp anyway because it seems to be unobtainable.

He told me to put it in the oven on the "warm" setting and clamp blocks of wood above and below the warped section. Over time slowly tighten the clamps to press out the bowed section. Don't make it too hot or the rest of the ramp will get soft and deform. If it's too cold, old plastic will crack. This approach makes me very nervous.

My existing ramp is still serviceable so I have been too scared to try this approach on my spare. I would be very interested to hear what other pinsiders advise.

#3 2 days ago

Tacos, thanks for the reply. I agree that excessive heat must have caused this condition, like sitting in the sun every day. But neither the playfield, cab or head are faded. I guess that I should be happy for small favors. Both the upper left and right had ramp assemblies as well as the lower right pass through have this condition from end to end. The guy at Starship Fantasy says that although he has flame polished thousands of ramps, he wouldn't try to straighten these.

What do you think of this? What if I went to a metal shop and asked them to see if they could duplicate these pieces in stainless steel, or with metal habitrails? I mean, the machine is a boat anchor right now and I'm not parting it out! Yeah, it could cost hundreds, but I would have spent hundreds for new ramps anyhow.

Alan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 49.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside