Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Greygoose
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey everyone. First post and first pin. I picked up Time Machine last weekend and solved some power supply issues (low 5v) just today. It boots up and, all-in-all, it's in great shape; all of the switches work, only a few bulbs need replacing, slingshots and bumper caps are good... however, and there's always a however, I have a short list of problems I've come across.

1. Flippers don't fire.
2. Kickback doesn't fire.
3. Vertical up-kicker doesn't fire.
4. Player 2 display doesn't display.
5. 'Voice' sounds are garbled and nerve-shattering 85% of the time.

With machine off:
-Flipper resistance: 90 Ohm on both (really high, right?)
-VUK resistance: 4 Ohm (normal)
-Kickback resistance: 0.5 Ohm (too low?)

With machine on:
-Flipper voltage: 0V
-VUK voltage: 49V (normal enough, so why won't it work?)
-Kickback voltage: Forgot to check. Can check later if needed

Things I've checked:
-EOS spacing and contacts are good.
-EOS switch works in diagnostic mode.
-The transistor behind the flipper power relay tested fine.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

#2 9 years ago

Start with the fuses. Check them with a meter, not visually.

#3 9 years ago

Flippers sound like possible fuse issue. VUK -- did you test the trigger switch to fire it? Sounds like it might not be making contact, wire is disconnected, or it's bad. Kickback -- check transistor. I've had major issues with that kickback on mine.. ended up having to jury rig some 5w resistors to keep the current just below the threshhold to pop the fuse and blow the transistor. Good luck on that one.. hopefully it's just a blown transistor.

#4 9 years ago

For the non-working display, try swapping the ribbon cables and then the displays around. (Swap player 1 with 2, cables then displays)
Easy to replace either a dead display or a bad ribbon cable.
The displays are compatible with Williams displays of the same type if you need to replace one.

See you later Alligator!

#5 9 years ago

First thing I did was replace every single fuse I could find (using the manual), but I will doublecheck to make sure nothing has blown between then and now. The switch for the VUK does register, so it looks like I'm dealing with the transistors for all three?

Thanks for the display tips. They'll come in handy when I get to them!

#6 9 years ago

Update: Fuse F5 on the PPB blows immediately when turned on. Gonna start checking coil diodes.

#7 9 years ago

Bingo.

#8 9 years ago

The center of the kickback coil was bulged, and kept the rod from pushing through. I'm not sure if this contributed to the shorting of the transistors on the ppb, but it needs to be replaced either way. Placed an order for new TIP36c's, new kickback coil, flipper rebuild kit, and plenty of fuses for F5.

#9 9 years ago

Double check all the EOS switches for those coils too. A stuck EOS switch can blow a tip or a fuse pretty quick.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Double check all the EOS switches for those coils too. A stuck EOS switch can blow a tip or a fuse pretty quick.

Yup,I found that out just recently!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-time-machine-no-voltage-to-flippers-misc-solenoid-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.