4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190513_122729_resized (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Good Morning everyone; I have a sound issue with a Time Machine as well and I'm trying to pickup working on solid state pins. I have some experience with electronics but it is pretty shallow. I have fluke meter, can desolder and socket chips, check resistors, diodes and transistors but that is about it. I can burn 27C64, 27C128, 27C256 and 27C512 EPROMS using an older burner and know my way around a hex editor a bit.

Logic probe is on order.

Time Machine was obtained dead with a missing 5V power board. I replaced the board, did some repairs to the PPB, replaced the cooked GI connectors and after reseating the MPU Eproms it came to life. (To keep from confusing the issue further there we should ignore the scrambled displays) worth mentioning as I can't get into or have feedback via displays from the onboard diagnostics.

I have no sound during gameplay at all, voices, music nor effects. Chimes and knocker work if you "get to the 50's"

When the machine boots up it does state "Time Machine" nice and clear which would make me think at least the sound board is functioning yes?

Sounds like a silly question, but how do you isolate a sound board not responding to the MPU vs a possible MPU not putting out the correct signals to the sound board? I'm ASSUMING the MPU Eproms are working proper as the machine works and the PIA light is out.

The sound board has 12+/12- and 5+ voltages verified. I have pulled all the socketed chips off the board, made sure the legs were clean and reinstalled which did nothing. Tried flipping the data cable, no change.

It states "Time Machine" on start and that is all you get. Before I head over to Mouser to order a handful of new capacitors on general principle is there anything else I can check with the tools I have on hand? Thank you for your time! I'd really like to save this one, it was sitting in the back of a van in a cornfield as odd as it sounds.

20190513_122729_resized (resized).jpg20190513_122729_resized (resized).jpg
4 months later
#2 4 years ago

Did you get it working?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you get it working?

Yes but unsure of the cause. Found the display cable was flipped (red stripe was NOT on number one pin) and shortly after sound came back.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes but unsure of the cause. Found the display cable was flipped (red stripe was NOT on number one pin) and shortly after sound came back.

Maybe you mean the sound ribbon cable?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Maybe you mean the sound ribbon cable?

Nope, display cable.

I picked up the pin dead and the cable was already in place. Got it up and running but had no display nor sound aside from the start "time machine" I had the mainboard out for some reason and noted the red stripe and pin one and realized as I picked up the pin the cable had been installed wrong by previous owner or tech maybe. Rotating the cable got rid of the garbled trash on display and sound started working. I'm assuming it was messing with one of the PIA on the main board.

#6 4 years ago

Never seen that type of issue before. I'll do a test one day to see I can make that happen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-time-machine-no-voices-nor-music and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.