(Topic ID: 59472)

DE Time Machine L/R coil bank select is acting up and I am stumped!

By mbt

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

I have been restoring a DE Time Machine for the last couple of weeks, and have run into a strange issue with he Left / Right select relay. For lack of a better description, it seems that the relay is slow. In regular game play, if the game is trying to fire the up kicker, I hear one of the chimes sound at the same time the up kicker fires. (Both the chime and the up kicker share the same transistor, and the proper selection is supposed to be controlled by the L/R relay. The same thing happens when the game tries to fire the lock release solenoid. In that case, a different chime sounds every time the lock release is activated. Again, the lock release and the 2nd chime share the same drive transistor. This issue does not happen in test mode though (all coils and flash lamps fire correctly). The one difference I can think of is that in test mode, the game waits longer after it sets the L/R relay before actually firing the coil. I already tried replacing the L/R relay , because the old relay contacts were severely pitted and burned, but the new relay did not help. In fact, I imagine the L/R relay is not designed to switch when current is present on its contacts. If things are working correctly, the L/R relay should be set before and of the coil drive transistors are turned on. I should also mention that I do hear the L/R relay activate in regular game play appropriately, as I said before it just seems like it is doing a little late...

Has anyone ever run into his before? I am at a loss as to what to try since things work as expected in test mode.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
2,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clinton Twp, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-time-machine-lr-coil-bank-select-is-acting-up-and-i-am-stumped?tu=mbt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.