DE Time Machine; Bumpers and Slingshots not working

By pinball-mike

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help with this issue and sorry for any obvious newb questions or terminology and especially if this has been covered before (I searched the forum, but didn't find anything).

I have a Data East Time Machine that has been working problem free for over two years. A couple months ago the machine stopped working with an accompanying electrical burning smell. I discovered the source was the right pop bumper coil. I pulled the plug until I had time to deal with it and here I am.

So far, I diagnosed and replaced the TIP36C that shorted out causing the coil stick and burn (many blown fuses to determine the problem).

I've got it all back together and this is the current state of the machine:
-All pop bumpers and both slingshots are not working.
-No fuses are blowing (that's good)
-The sound seems to be working but I don't think 100%. I seem to remember there was some intro music.
-There is a ground hum that I have to find the source of.
-Some lamps are working and some are not, namely the top bank on the backglass and the three 5k trough lights as the top of the board (closest to the backglass)

So when I run the diagnostic tests, I notice the following:
-The Gen ILL Relay doesn't sound like it's clicking
-Flash 7, 8 & 9 don't seem to work (maybe symptomatic of the lamps issue above)
-When the test get to the LS Kick, the lights flash/dim and the test stops. The game resets.

I have checked the wiring to all the coils in the circuit, looked for pinched wires, etc. I've removed and reseated all the connectors on every PCB. I tested a suspect diode on the left slingshot (seemed ok).

I'm stumped. Hoping some kind soul out there with any idea of what to look for, can shed some light on this for me.

Mike B

#2 10 years ago

UPDATE: Ok, so I checked further and found that the TIP122 transistor was shorted. I replaced that. Still same issues. No pop bumpers or slingshots. I didn't replace the smaller transistor, would that be the problem? (I don't have one on hand. Is it a 2N6427? my eyes a bad and I can't make it out - I will look into the schematics or research online, but I figured I'd ask).

Boy I could use some insight on this one. Hopefully someone "in the know" reads this and can offer up some assistance.

Thanks,

Mike B

#3 10 years ago

I'd check out your power supply, rectifiers and connectors. If the coil got stuck on, killed diodes, and blew a bunch of fuses, then you probably got +50v shot back up into the power supply that killed your G.I. and probably some other components as well. And the smaller transistor, the pre-driver, should be replaced as well. Looks like a darlington transistor, MPSA13 or A14 might work in place, just make sure the pinout is the same as the 2N6427. You can even find those at radioshack.

#4 10 years ago

Thank you so much! I will check this when I get back at it tomorrow.

I blew another two days yesterday and today messing around with this. I noticed that both the 12 pin connector at CN1 and the 9 pin connector at CN8 had obvious signs of overheating. I will try to source new connectors, but in the meanwhile, I have raped the round female pin connectors from the P2 drive connectors on an old PC power supply and hand wired them in to CN1 to continue my diagnostics. I will do the same with CN8. Wiggling the CN8 causes the back lights to go on and off. the bottom wire/pin (brown in this case) is very warm. Before MacGyvering the CN1, wiggling that connection caused loud noises and excessive ground hums.

So now, to update - before looking into your suggestions (from "thedefog" above) - after the CN1 (interim) repair and the CN8 in a wiggled-position where all the light seem to work, this is what I have got... The machine fires up, still no music after the machine says "Time Machine" (which I still can't remember if there was any - maybe I'll search around to see if anyone posted a video of it booting up), during game play, the music and sounds seem to be working ok, the right pop bumper now works but not the center or left bumpers, nor the two slingshots. I also noticed that the two rollover switches are not scoring points and the three lights at the gates near the top of the board are still not illuminating.

Game play continues until the ball goes down the gutter, the lights flash and the end of ball music plays - That's when the F5 fuse blows on the driver board.

By the way, I have checked the diodes on the two slingshots and the left bumper and they were ok.

Is this inline with the +50V spike you were referring to the defog?

Thanks again,

Mike

#5 10 years ago

regarding pop bumpers and slingshots coils,first check if the coils receive the aprox 50 V dc ( coils are actuated by drive them to ground via TIP122) if the 50 v dc is present and the TIP122 are OK you might have one 7402 IC blown out after a major burn of TIP and 2 N transistors
if the 7402 Ic s are ok next step is PIA 6821

#6 10 years ago

Thank you! I will run down and check now. Will update my findings.

Many thanks for the help so far.

#7 10 years ago

Good luck! Make sure all your connectors and pins are clean. You may need to resolder pins on PCBs as well if you haven't already.

#8 10 years ago

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all.

I haven't had a chance with all the holiday stuff to get back at it. Looks like no pinball for the holidays

Will post my findings when I return.

Mike B.

11 months later
#9 9 years ago

Hi all. I'm just getting back to look at this machine. As you can see by the last post, this machine has been dead for a year now. I was hoping to get it back up and running for the holidays, but it looks like it won't be a possibility.

I did some more digging and found that the 15k switch on the left outlane was blowing the F5 fuse. Lo and behold, the Laser Kick coil is shorted and burnt up. So I ordered one and unfortunately, not being a stock item, I will have to wait a couple weeks to get it.

My next question to you all is can I somehow bypass the coil, say with a fuse across the two wires or something, so I can continue my diagnostics? I find when I remove one wire from the coil, I now get the outhole coil repeatedly firing and other anomalies throughout the machine. I'd like to be able to figure out the other issues so I can order all the necessary items at the same time.

Also, expanding on thedefog and doctor_pinball's helpful replies above (thanks for that), I did have to solder some loose pins on the C1 connector on the power supply board. But I am still getting this issue with ground hum and half the lights on the backboard not working and the left and centre pop bumpers not working (the right one works oddly enough) and the two slingshots aren't working. It was mentioned that the 7402 IC may be blown or there may be an issue with PIA 6821, Forgive my lack of knowledge, but can I get a quick n dirty on how to find and test these two components? Are these items available and can they just be replaced or do they need to be programmed?

As always, I would be forever grateful for any help.

Thank you!

Mike B

#10 9 years ago

Update: I believe the ground hum to be coming from the filter capacitor on the power board. When I wiggle it, the hum changes in volume. And the issue with the outhole coil repeatedly firing was because I had the panel off that covers the Laser Kick and outhole. The stopper wire for the outhole was spinning right around and stopped the ball from going up the ramp. So never mind those issues.

I'm still struggling with the pop bumpers and slingshots, however.

Also, I just removed the one wire from the Laser Kick coil and the game seems to be operating correctly with the exception of the pop bumpers and sling shots.

#11 9 years ago

Why don't you just sell it to me. I am looking for a Time Machine and don't live too far away!

#12 9 years ago

Haha @ Blackbeard, I'm sure it isn't worth half of what I paid for it in the condition it's in. But thanks for the thought. I would like to revive it. It's a great machine.

#13 9 years ago

Well if you wanna sell, I'd love to see some pics. Been lookin' for one.

I've bought pins in Canada before going up across the border too. No problems. I'm like 1.5 hours from you!

Sell and buy something new!

#14 9 years ago

Ok, I'll think about it. I have a Laser Kick coil on order. Also, gotta fix a couple molex connectors that I bastardized to get the machine working. I'll let you know. Thanks for the interest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-time-machine-bumbers-and-slingshots-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.