(Topic ID: 240787)

DE Star Wars Trough Eject Coil continuously fires

By toberlindacher

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I'm looking at a friends DE Star wars and the trough eject coil continuously fires when powered on. He found that the coil leads had melted/broken off and so he ordered a replacement coil and powered it on. Same problem. A fuse blew and was replaced and then he swapped the coil wires and turned it back on (yikes).

So, when I checked, i found Q45 was bad which is consistent with the manual. I replaced Q45 and then fired the game up but the trough eject coil still continuously fires. I re-tested Q45 and it needed to be replaced again.

So, my question is what other components on the pcb's should I be testing/replacing. Looking at the schematic, I see the other components that are on the PPB related to this are D2, D10 and R2. Isn't there another transistor on the PPB I should be looking at. Is there a pre-driver transistor? Any other components to check on the CPU pcb?

I've been looking at the following manual on page 33 of the pdf (Page 29 of the actual manual)

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Manual.pdf

I measured the coil and it tests fine and also replaced the diode on the coil.

I am not that familiar with DE games and so any help is much appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Bump for the 15th

#3 5 years ago

I wish I could help, I'm following because I have a DE JP that I had a similar issue during game play (it ended up being the shooter lane eject switch). I also would have suspected Q45 (which I think I also replaced on mine). Good luck, here's a post hoping someone else sees it.

#4 5 years ago

Did you verify the new coil is wired correctly? Brown wire should be on the banded side of the diode according to the schematic.

I think you may have missed the other pdf for the schematics over at ipdb.org. I guess they made a separate document for higher res photos or whatever. Here's the link to the pdf:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2358/Data_East_1992_Star_Wars_Schematic_Diagrams_English_Manual_pages_46_69.pdf

Go to page 55, "CPU schematic page 3 of 4" and you'll find the rest of the solenoid circuit on the cpu board. Note there's a resistor pack between the driver and predriver that may be faulty as well.

These problems can be hard to tackle on DE games for whatever reason. I'd do all transistors and diodes in that circuit and the resistor pack for good measure if i were to try to shotgun the repair. It sucks because if you don't replace all the bad parts at the same time, the remaining bad ones can sometimes knock out the new ones you just installed.

That's probably about all i can do, but hopefully this will get one of the more seasoned techs' attention so they can properly help troubleshoot this. Good luck!

#5 5 years ago

Thank you very much for your help. I had not seen those schematics yet and those are just somewhat critical I will first check the wiring to the coil as I think he had the two purple wires going to the banded side of the diode and not the brown wire.

I will then test the other parts of the circuit. I appreciate it!

1 week later
#6 5 years ago

Just wanted to post back on this. I tested all components in the circuit for the trough eject coil and couldn't find anything other than Q45 blown. Coil wired correctly and coil diode tests good.

However, I just found capacitor C1 on the PPB board is completely dead dry.

I will be replacing this cap and hopefully this will fix it. I will report back but any thoughts on if this will fix it?

2 weeks later
#7 4 years ago

Just to circle back to this. This ended up being a dead C1 on the PPB that was causing Q45 to go bad. Replaced it and Q45 and it works now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-trough-eject-coil-continuously-fires?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.