Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pudealee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

In the process of fixing a display issue, I have broken my sound. I get no game sounds whatsoever. Not even a boot-up beep. I still hear a slight hum out of the speakers, so I don't think I blew them. I've checked all my connections, and everything seems good in that regard. In doing that, I did notice that on CN21 on the MPU board, the left upper-most pin was missing. This may be normal, as the schematic for that pin shows an "E"." Other than that, connections look fine.

Display and gameplay are fine. Anybody got any tips that could help me diagnose the problem before I go down the path of securing a new board?

Thanks!!

#2 9 years ago

Make sure your ribbon cable connectors are not upside down. I make that mistake when I fixed my display.

#3 9 years ago

Yep - ribbon cable is good. Had continuity all the way through.

#4 9 years ago

I meant how they are plugged into board. I don't think they are keyed?

3 weeks later
#5 9 years ago

Just a follow-up on this topic. I finally gave up on my own ability to diagnose and fix, after nothing worked. Sent the sound board out to Clive at Coin-op Cauldron. It came back in no time flat, and is working like a charm. Clive's work:

Removed all three ROMs and verified internal data (Vc +/- 0.25v). ROMs checked for latest revision of software. BSMT2000 and Microprocessor removed and tested. New 6116 Static RAM IC and 28-pin IC socket. 2x 22uf/50v/`105 capacitors (C17, C59). 2x 470uf/25v/105c capacitors (C31, C52). 1000uf/25v/105c (C30). Upgraded CN2 power input header to high temperature version. Reflow solder for all header pins. Board cleaned up.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

Just a follow-up on this topic. I finally gave up on my own ability to diagnose and fix, after nothing worked. Sent the sound board out to Clive at Coin-op Cauldron. It came back in no time flat, and is working like a charm. Clive's work:
Removed all three ROMs and verified internal data (Vc +/- 0.25v). ROMs checked for latest revision of software. BSMT2000 and Microprocessor removed and tested. New 6116 Static RAM IC and 28-pin IC socket. 2x 22uf/50v/`105 capacitors (C17, C59). 2x 470uf/25v/105c capacitors (C31, C52). 1000uf/25v/105c (C30). Upgraded CN2 power input header to high temperature version. Reflow solder for all header pins. Board cleaned up.

Just curious how much for board work?

#7 9 years ago

$78 for the sound board work, plus $12 return shipping. Very satisfied with his work. His website pretty much tells you what he'll charge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.