Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DESW_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

So yesterday I stopped too look at a Data East Star Wars pinball machine. The playfield was in really good shape, R2D2 and the Death Star where in perfect working order, only 2 pieces of plastic where broken and the playfield needed to be wax. The cabinet was solid with only very little wear. Owner has had it for 12 yrs with very little play and I know the tech who serviced his machine and does a great job because he services mine.

What is the dollar amount I should be paying for this machine based on what I've told you? Any advice is much appreciated?

#2 8 years ago

I just sold mine for $3200 fully LED'd with Cliffys and updated ROM. I thought that was a fair price, the buyer thought it was a bargain.

#3 8 years ago

$2500. I still struggle to see this as a $3k game . New movie hype does not inflate the value for me. Maybe that's just me.

#4 8 years ago

Yeah this one here didn't have the leds or the update, one thing I did forget to mention is it does have the topper. Too me that doesn't add a whole lot of value it's only plastic and doesn't do anything.

#5 8 years ago

I've been hoping to find one (project or otherwise) under $2k, but no luck yet.

#6 8 years ago

With or without autographed translite?

#7 8 years ago

No autographed translite

#8 8 years ago

I just recently paid $2.3k and that was priced correctly. Don't pay more than $2.5k it is not a $3k machine.

#9 8 years ago

$2,500 max

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

With or without autographed translite?

Veteran pinsiders will know what you just did.....

#11 8 years ago

Based on ads I've seen in the past six months, it looks like $2250-$3500.

Have seen a handful of nice ones near the low end of that range, though.

#12 8 years ago

I have a soft spot for DESW - it was the first multiball pin I every played as a kid and I love Star Wars.

I had one for about 3 years. Bought it - unworking, for $1600, sold it for $2600, which sounds like a profit but was actually a little less than what I had in it with LEDs, repairs and other tweaks. Mine was victim to a poor mylar removal from a previous owner or service company but was otherwise in pretty good condition minus a few scuffs on the back box.

Getting one with the original death star plastic can be hard - so look for that. And modest yellowing on R2. If it has the original death star plastic, you might want to give the seller a little credit for his asking price. A pinsider wanted $450 for a NOS Death Star plastic and the repros don't look very good unless you can get someone artistic to gussy-it-up.

Also, I wouldn't let the price police influence your purchase so long as you aren't looking at it as something to flip for a profit. In fact, I wouldn't let $500 sway me one way or another on a pin if every other aspect of the transaction is acceptable. Good luck with your hunt!

#13 8 years ago

I'm not looking to flip it, for what I could see it looked like an original Deathstar. The guy is being really cool about me taking my time on the decision, just want to make sure I'm buying it at the right price. I've seen them sell for anywhere between $2400.-$3500. On ebay. So another question for anyone....should a person only pay $2500. For this machine in general just because they made 10,000 units? And if this machine was fully restored and had leds what's someone willing to pay for it?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

I'm not looking to flip it, for what I could see it looked like an original Deathstar. The guy is being really cool about me taking my time on the decision, just want to make sure I'm buying it at the right price. I've seen them sell for anywhere between $2400.-$3500. On ebay. So another question for anyone....should a person only pay $2500. For this machine in general just because they made 10,000 units? And if this machine was fully restored and had leds what's someone willing to pay for it?

Also, for eBay consider that the fees the seller will typically pay.. A couple hundred dollars at least usually. Sometimes that artificially inflates an eBay price. Sometimes sellers will reference the eBay going rate as those that are listed and not sold. Always good to login with your account and search the sold listings, as some DESW have sat on eBay for years because they were priced too high.

In keeping with that, it looks like some have sold for high-to-mid $3k on eBay. If you list one right now on eBay, it lists the suggested range from $2375, to $3850. If you sold it for $3800 in a fixed-price eBay auction, the seller would pay $380 in final-value fees, so would only take home $3420 of that, not including Paypal or credit card processing fees.

I mention all this to say, basically account for a 10-12% price hike on eBay when comparing prices for what a private-party-transaction might look like.

If I were buying another DESW and there was one that was convenient for me to get, I'd offer them $2600 to get the conversation started for a player's quality cabinet, probably $2900 for something super-clean and already LED'd out and negotiate up or down from there.

DESW_(resized).jpgDESW_(resized).jpg

PS, values might be inflated a little right now, following Christmas and the Star Wars movie. Next year, when a new Star Wars pin hits, DESW will probably be considered a $2400-$2600 pin again. Right now, IMO it's the best SW pin available since the Sega is a little boring and the Ep1 is all Jar-jar'd up. But, DESW by itself doesn't have alot of staying power in a home collection, aside from nostalgia - for most anyway.

Once the new pin hits, that will probably change and everyone will be all excited about the new pin (regardless of it it's good or terrible, honestly). $2400 is probably the floor for DESW - regardless of what gets released in 2017.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

The range you've observed is pretty much spot on. The differences come down to condition/location/a little bit of randomness.

Quantity produced isn't strongly correlated with price. In this instance, the insistence that you should pay "no more than $2,500" is likely grounded in the belief, held by most here, that the game itself is pretty average.

It has a huge theme. If I was looking for one, I'd be looking for average condition at $2500 or a really nice one around $3000.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from beepbeep:

Production count has no bearing here. Look at The Addams Family. 20k+ production count. $5k+ pin. Pin value is more strongly linked to desirability and condition.

Production count only seems to affect the value when a pin is very rare and also desirable.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Production count only seems to affect the value when a pin is very rare and also desirable.

Agree with this. And often the price varies based on how much the seller paid for it and, therefore, how much he wants to get for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-price-check and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.