Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pejizzzy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Have an odd problem with my Data East Star Wars machine that I'm hoping someone may shed some light on. When a ball goes into the "Force" scoop (called the left scoop in the manual), it immediately triggers the left VUK to fire 6 times (quickly -- it's empty) and then the machine comes back and fires the ball up out of the scoop. The switches all appear to be fine (it scores normally and I've run the diagnostics on every switch/coil on the machine...all test good). I've checked all of the fuses and they all test good. The game is playable as-is...but it's very odd. Also...possibly unrelated, but at the same time the Force scoop started behaving weird, I noticed that the left "Taun Taun" light stays lit all the time during game play.

The game used to work fine, btw, until I upgraded the power board (to xPin) and the sound board (Pinsound). At the same time I also swapped out a ball trough switch that was acting flaky. So somewhere in the midst of monkeying with it I appear to have messed with something that I can't figure out.

Any thoughts on what to check out would be appreciated.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

also swapped out a ball trough switch

Did the problem start then ? If so check your work. White wire in the right spot, green wire in the right spot, diode facing the right direction ? Nothing shorting to metal ?

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

I will double check this evening when I'm back at the machine -- I try to be pretty careful about taking a picture before I do any work and then restoring it to the same state, but it's quite possible I missed something. Does anyone have a picture of that area of their machine so I know what "right" looks like?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

so I know what "right" looks like?

Look at every other micro mini switch in your game. All wired the same. White wire and black end of diode there, green wire there, silver banded end of diode there.

The white and green are base colors, stripes might be different. But the base color wires are the same on every switch.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion — you nailed it. Had the white/green wire into the wrong tab on the switch — re-soldered to the correct spot and all is well again. My limited electronic understanding doesn’t quite get how that causes the odd behavior I was seeing, but I’m very grateful for the advice fix. Thank you!

4 months later
#6 5 years ago

So that noise and thrusting isn’t normal? I thought it was part of the game. Mine does it also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-left-scoop-switch-triggers-left-vuk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.