• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIMG0319(2) (resized).JPG

#1 3 months ago

Hey all,
I'm working on this DE Star Wars for a friend. The problem is when you start a game, the right flipper engages and locks in the up position. Its running the Rotten Dog flipper board. And I've tried another Rotten Dog flipper board and it does the same. I've rebuilt both flippers, thinking it might be a shorted diode, or coil. But it still locks on when the game starts... at least until the F1 burns out on the flipper board. I've looked the schematics over trying to figure out what controls the flipper board. But I'm not the best at reading schematics. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I should be looking. I don't think its a problem with the right button switch. Assuming I've set both flipper boards dip switches correctly, I think I assume the flipper board is not at fault. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 3 months ago

The coil isn't energising by itself - it's being TOLD to energise and that comes from the flipper driver board.

You are going to have to get serious about diagnosing the PCB or send it our for repair.

I seem to remember something about the DIP switch settings on these RD replacements being incorrect? Perhaps investigate that as well?

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from pins4u:

I seem to remember something about the DIP switch settings on these RD replacements being incorrect?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Special_solenoid_problems_with_RottenDog_MPU_board

#4 3 months ago
Quoted from Chico:

Assuming I've set both flipper boards dip switches correctly,

Post a picture of both Rottendog flipper boards so that we can verify that. Incorrect dip switch settings can be what is causing the issue.

Quoted from Chico:

thinking it might be a shorted diode, or coil

You can verify that. With power off, measure the resistance of both flipper coils. They should be the same if the coil and diode are ok. If the right flipper coil measure less than the other flipper by more than one ohm, then you may have a shorted diode or coil.

#5 3 months ago

I did a complete rebuild of the flippers. So new everything including coils and diodes. So that shouldn't be the issue. Here is a pick of the new flipper board. I don't have the old one with me. Its still in the game at the place I'm fixing it. BUT this should be identical to how the switches are set. Plus this flipper board appears to be a later revision but its brand new and behaved in the exact same manner as the old one. This is the best pic I could muster with my cell phone. But I was very suspicious of the switch settings since the bank is installed upside down(i.e. switch 1 is on the far right, switch 8 is on the far left next to the 0 and 1 printed on the board. But I assumed whoever laid out the board meant for you to adjust the switch over the column to make them match. I think I tried it that way and got the same issue. Right now, I'm leaning to a transistor on the mpu being shorted on, or some wiring issue coming out of the flipper board. When I press the flipper buttons, I can see the LEDs inside the the cabinet on the flipper board light up.

KIMG0319(2) (resized).JPG
#6 3 months ago

The switch is physically mounted upside down but its operation is correct - notice it says "OPEN" on the top side - that corresponds to "0".

So a switch selected with the top pushed would be a "0" as marked on the PCB.

This is the board I was mentioning - I read somewhere that the legend for some games wasn't correct which resulted in people setting the switches incorrectly for certain games. Don't know more than that though, you will need to investigate.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lakeville, MN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
PinSound

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!