Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by stangbat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

DE SW gets beat up for its gameplay and rule set. Understandable, it isn't the deepest pin. I like it, mainly the art and overall look. It is a cool machine to have in your collection. However, I'm finding myself getting bored with it. I've read the rules guides, and I have a good understanding of the rules. But I find myself basically just shooting the ramp and shooting the Death Star.

Now before you tell me to turn off saving ramps shots, let me go into a little more detail. I'm a pretty average player. I've played in a few local tournaments of about 30 people and I generally make it several rounds in. Last time I finished something like 5th or 6th (probably lucky). So there certainly are better and worse players than me. That being said, the max number of ramp shots I've pulled off in a game is 34. So far I'm not capable of hitting the ramp 50-100 times in a game.

I also find the outlanes of my game to be pretty brutal, even with the right outlane entrance closed down. If a ball hits the top of a sling, it bounces right over into the outlane. Because of this, I'm hesitant to shoot shots that generate a lot of back and forth ball movement and sling hits. This is probably the main reason I end up predominantly shooting the ramp and Death Star.

I also don't find the Force hole and Sarlac Pit to be easy shots and missing them can quickly lead to outlane drains. So once again, shoot the ramp and Death Star. Shooting for the X-Wing targets can be punishing because the hard hits off them get the ball going crazy and it is likely to drain out the outlanes. So, shoot the ramp and shoot the Death Star. I'm kind of hesitant to turn off saving ramp shots. Maybe if I hit it 50+ times every game I'd be more inclined, but without it saving the shots, my games would be even shorter and more frustrating.

Finally, I like JP although it can also be punishing if you miss shots into the Control Room. I think it rewards you better for the shots, so maybe I find it more balanced. So, is my problem due to me being a chicken and not being willing to attempt the shots needed? Or is it my skills? Do I need to take a fresh approach to it? Or do you think the game is just not a fit for me? If you have any strategy tips, please pass them along.

#2 13 years ago

I get bored of pins too, even great games I've owned like TAF, HSII, WCS94, etc. So I trade/sell and get new ones...that's my suggestion

#3 13 years ago

The best thing you could do at this point is to sell the game to me. All kidding aside, trade it if your bored with it. As soon as one of my machines stops getting playtime, out the door it goes. Room is limited so as soon as I get bored with it, time to talk trades!

#4 13 years ago

I got rid of my JP because i forever losing the ball in the most frustrating ways. You'd have 2 great balls, then get a evil drain on the third, and have to start all over again. Every game would be like that, either great, or completely robbed. Doesn't help that I'm not the best player either!

I too like the art and toys of my SW but it can, like every other pin, get rather repetitive. I don't go for big scores , but instead prefer to go for completing the modes from the force scoop. There's enough modes to work through. True the Xwing targets are a pig for draining in Xwing millions mode, but i always try to hit at least one target before the modes over. Then there's Hyperspace, R2D2 runaway, speeder mode (ok, that's rubbish), and the relit kickback "relaunch" through the pops shot. I also like nailing the slarlacc pit...even if it just to hear jabba say "pinball muh ha ha"

You've probably done this already, but definitely turn off the moon spotting so you have to work for your multiballs. I find that makes the game far more challenging.

#5 13 years ago

A great Playing Data East is Last Action Hero. It's packed with features, 6 ball multi,Magnets under the playfield, 3 scoops, a crane that deverts the ball.....I'm gonna miss it....Someone is comming to buy it tonight. If it wasn't so dam ugly I think I would cry.

Kinda like breaking up with an ugly chick thats good in bed.

#6 13 years ago

I was never too enamoured with Star Wars. It looks nice but meh. If it weren't for the license it wouldn't rate as high or fetch the price it does IMO.

#7 13 years ago

I think SW is a great game but that you can get bored with any game.
I found when I only had one game I soon got bored with it no matter what it was. I must have had about 150 titles over the years. I normally have 3-6 on the go and any less than 3 and they get old too fast.
I went through a phase of getting ever more challenging and deeper DM games. JD, Frankenstein, TZ, JM come to mind as games that kept me occupied for a long while. I then also got into older games as I started to find that many DM game times were too long. I found that some early 70-80s target based games like Paragon and Strikes and Spares were more of challenge. I then started to get into some of the Alphanumeric and shorter/sharper DM games such as FT and BSD.
I now like a good mix and only have 6 games set up. Current favourites are Stern's Lightning, CSI, RBION, Torpedo Alley, Strikes and Spares. Variety is the spice of life and sometimes simple is good fun. I'd happily have another SW sometime in the future.

#8 13 years ago

all the DE games i've owned have gotten stale pretty quickly.

#9 13 years ago

I've been thinking about selling / swapping the SW and getting a RBION for a while now. In no hurry, but one day I'll probably get round to it.

I'd luurve a torpedo alley though. love the sub theme, and the back glass is so bad, its good! shame there's not too many of those around.

#10 13 years ago

I guess its not just me. Maybe it is time to move on when I need the space. It is pretty cool but I'm fairly sure it will be the first machine out the door when the time comes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-getting-boring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.