• Latest reply 10 years ago by jdpilot
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to help my friend and don't know much about this machine. What's going on is the Death Star target isn't coming up. I go to test the bar motor and on the screen shows:

BAR MOTOR UP OFF
BAR MOTOR DOWN ON

I hold the start button to test it and nothing happens. Would the motor be bad and need replacing, or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

---UPDATE---NEW ISSUE---

The motor was bad, so I replaced that and it actually moves now (thank you for that help). However, the new motor is incredibly...choppy. It doesn't operate smoothly. And when in place, it'll bring the target down, but won't raise it back up. It seems to get stuck...the motor 'runs' but won't move the target. Any one else run into this? Does it mean the new motor is bad as well?

#2 10 years ago

Friend of me have same problem with his game, so i will follow this.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

I'm trying to help my friend and don't know much about this machine. What's going on is the Death Star target isn't coming up. I go to test the bar motor and on the screen shows:
BAR MOTOR UP OFF
BAR MOTOR DOWN ON
I hold the start button to test it and nothing happens. Would the motor be bad and need replacing, or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

When I first brought my DE SW this was a problem with mine. Not saying it couldn't be something else with yours but the problem with mine was a burnt out motor. Replaced it and all good.

#4 10 years ago

I'll give that a shot then. Was it this motor?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/14-7941

#6 10 years ago

Double check the existing motor first and make sure there isn't a loose connection.

#7 10 years ago

Yes that's the one. Though the one Chad has listed is cheaper and good advice to check for loose connections first.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks all. Yup, checked the wires before posting...everything seemed secure. He ordered the motor, so when it comes in and I get it installed, I'll post an update. Thank y'all again for all the help

2 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

The motor was bad, so I replaced that and it actually moves now (thank you for that help). However, the new motor is incredibly...choppy. It doesn't operate smoothly. And when in place, it'll bring the target down, but won't raise it back up. It seems to get stuck...the motor 'runs' but won't move the target. Any one else run into this? Does it mean the new motor is bad as well?

#10 10 years ago

The original motor had a little capacitor connected to it. I reinstalled that just how it was originally...did that need to be there? That would be causing that issue, would it?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#11 10 years ago

That capacitor is normal.

Is there anything mechanical about the mechanism that is binding and preventing smooth operation? Make sure all is clean and smooth. I usually take apart these mechanisms and clean them up and put them back together. There should be no grease or oil on these.

It is also possible that the new motor is bad.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

That capacitor is normal.
Is there anything mechanical about the mechanism that is binding and preventing smooth operation? Make sure all is clean and smooth. I usually take apart these mechanisms and clean them up and put them back together. There should be no grease or oil on these.
It is also possible that the new motor is bad.

Nothing binding or touching the motor arm, other than the round piece and the set screw holding it on the arm. The round piece isn't touching the plate.

#13 10 years ago

That motor has gears inside of it to get the RPM correct. It looks very much like they're slipping for some reason. If you bought the motor as new, I'd send the video and ask for a replacement.

If for some reason you can't get a replacement, I vaguely remember there being bent tabs holding the cover on. You might be able to get it open to see what the offending part is.

#14 10 years ago

It was a new motor. Ok, I'll get it traded out. Hopefully it's just my bad luck of the draw again

#15 10 years ago

From the video it does look like the gears are slipping. The only other thing I I can think to check if you haven't done so already. Have you raised and lowered the target with the death star top removed so that you can see for sure that there is nothing physically stopping the target coming through?

#16 10 years ago

Sorry for highjacking the post, but a friend of me also got problem with his Star wars. The motor works in testmode, but not when you play the game. Motor is always "down" and not going up... not sure where to start checking for him.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit:

Sorry for highjacking the post, but a friend of me also got problem with his Star Wars. The motor works in testmode, but not when you play the game. Motor is always "down" and not going up... not sure where to start checking for him.

Probably a bad motor as the OP had.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from gambit:

Sorry for highjacking the post, but a friend of me also got problem with his Star Wars. The motor works in testmode, but not when you play the game. Motor is always "down" and not going up... not sure where to start checking for him.

Do the upper and lower limit switches register?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

From the video it does look like the gears are slipping. The only other thing I I can think to check if you haven't done so already. Have you raised and lowered the target with the death star top removed so that you can see for sure that there is nothing physically stopping the target coming through?

Nope, it moves up and down by hand. I'll put the replacement new motor in and see if that's the issue. Any one have any leads on the yellow target itself? My friends has a round one in it, and after finding out it isn't correct, he wants the original one. Those little buggers are extremely hard to find...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jdpilot:

Nope, it moves up and down by hand. I'll put the replacement new motor in and see if that's the issue. Any one have any leads on the yellow target itself? My friends has a round one in it, and after finding out it isn't correct, he wants the original one. Those little buggers are extremely hard to find...

You don't see them all the time but the targets are about. The real catch is the price, very expensive. Keep an eye on eBay and you'll find NOS ones do come up. To my knowledge no one has repo'ed them yet but there was a recent thread here on Pinside with someone looking to do these.

#21 10 years ago

He's the thread, http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-death-star-target
Doesn't look like this went anywhere though. No word from the OP in 12months.

#22 10 years ago

Anyone have measurements? Length, width, height, thickness? I might be able to do it actually...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-death-star-target-not-rising and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.