21.jpg
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1136.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Traded an email or two with Vid on a DE SW Cabinet Restore. Posting here, so that he can comment; and others may benefit.

The situation/background:
DE SW -Game was sold to me as a players game, so I knew it was rough. I've fixed cleaned up all the playfield issues, but the cabinet is still in pretty bad shape. My wife would like me to keep it, so i can't trade this headache away.

I just received a set of scanned decals from Europe, so it's time to start bitting the bullet and work the cabinet.

Problems:
The cabinet looks like it sat without legs in storage, and the underside was exposed to water. On each side, wood is delaminating or chipping off. The bottom of the cabinet was so wet, that the particle board is now "fuzzy" and droops a bit.

I've got a plan for most of the fixes:
- Fix the delimitation with wood glue or epoxy. Bondo any chips/gaps (i've done some other cab repairs with excellent results, so not as worried here; but i will always take suggestions)
- Take the decals and have the paint match the color of the decals.
- Cut out the bottom and replace with a new plywood board.

A few questions:
- I have not found a lot of detail about pulling and replacing the bottom wood panel. When i am done i want it to be close to factory. Anyone have any examples and steps they used to do it? Getting the panel out is not a problem. Putting one back in that can hold the weight and looks correct is my concern. Thickness used for the new board?

- Paint. I'm going to be doing this in my garage. Last cabinet work i did was all black, and Satin Black spray paint worked great for spot repairs. That's not going to work here. The decals don't reach the edges, so i need to have a good color match for paint. I've read that some have used a roller for application, but I don't think it will have the finish I'm after. Since I am not doing this all the time, I don't want to spend a fortune on a paint gun. Any suggestions on other options or a model (that is reasonably priced)?

Vid has excellent postings for playfield restoration, so I am hoping this might spark the next discussion.

IMG_1135.JPGIMG_1135.JPG
IMG_1136.jpgIMG_1136.jpg
IMG_1138.JPGIMG_1138.JPG
IMG_1142.jpgIMG_1142.jpg
IMG_1144.jpgIMG_1144.jpg
IMG_1146.JPGIMG_1146.JPG
21.jpg21.jpg
22.jpg22.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Those are great looking decals, and they are going to need a super smooth substrate to be applied to.

If it were my machine, I'd just get a brand new cab for $250.

A new cab will be plywood with a thin veneer of MDF on the face side (called MDO plywood). The face is super smooth with no wood grain, patches or plugs - and it's already primed.

There are just SO many hours of patching and sanding on that old cab. It is always a worry when part of the Bondo loses it's grip under the decal and leaves a lump.

Under the lockdown bar or the coin door, you can chip out an unfaded section of paint for the paint store to match - they need a dime sized sample. Or take the decals themselves to the store and show them where to match (it has to be an area near the edge to fit under the machine).

If you are absolutely set on spending 25 hours on that cab, remember to sand outdoors because the paint will contain lead and will poison your garage forever. You need a bunny suit ($11) and a respirator rated for lead ($26).

To get the old bottom out:

1. use a trim router with an edge guide.

2. rout out the inside lip on the two long opposing sides of the cab bottom. Don't try to do it all in a single pass unless you have a 3hp router.

3. chisel out any triangular cleats from the inside of the cab (if there are any). Don't hit staples with your chisel.

4. the bottom will flex out.

5. Use the old bottom as your template for the new one.

6. Use plywood, not fibercrap™

7. If you use a pilot bearing router bit, you can use the old bottom as your guide to cut the speaker hole in the new one.

#3 10 years ago

holy shit, if there was a game that would have to suffer the fate of decals, it would be this game. Sucks to have to settle for decals, but in this case, it's going to be a vast improvement.

#4 10 years ago

Just imagine how much faster, easier and better it would turn out with just buying the new cab. Buy the cab, spray the paint apply the decals and BAM your done in 2 days, looks perfect and you didn't even break a sweat. That's the way I'd go. Best of all....you get that new game smell.

#5 10 years ago

2nd game i bought (my first non-EM), I jumped off the deep-end. Long damn story, but wife loves it and won't let it go.

$250 for a cab...Who, what, and where? I would like to at least explore that option a bit more.
Point me a direction ->

I'll have a few more questions tomorrow. Thanks

#7 10 years ago

Thx. Site is down for maintenance, so I will check back.

#8 10 years ago

Vid,

So I know virtual pin sells a flat pack. Here's the deal... does anyone make a cab kit for Data East?

I know for certain the head is different than Williams/Bally. Is the main body the same or different?

I don't see anyone making a kit for just DE machines. I am wondering if I can buy a new lower cab (if they are the same), and then just refinish/re-use my Head.

Thoughts? Or did I just now get it?

#9 10 years ago

Actually I'm curious as well. CP could use a refurb of the cab and a new cab would be easy. Just need the decals.... But the DE cab is a slightly different size...

#10 10 years ago

I didn't know about the new cabinets either. I'm intrigued. I don't think it's a reasonable solution to use a cabinet that doesn't match the original, even if it all fits OK.

#11 10 years ago

If Xtreme has never built a DE cab before, they may need you to email them a few measurements so they can account for any differences.

Once they have built one DE cab, they will have the CNC program on file, so future cabs can be made automatically.

The company that cuts my cabs did not have the "real" Williams wide body drawings (like Scorpion). I took some pictures, noted the measurements in Photoshop, and the next day I had my pile of parts.

Now, anytime I need another, I just call, they pull up the Cut File, vacuum down a sheet of plywood on the router and it's done in 30 minutes.

#12 10 years ago

Let's see when there site is back up. To date, I don't of anyone making DE cabs.

If someone had a flat pack ready to go, then this would be a slam dunk. If i have to risk them getting it wrong, then I'm back to fixing my POS....

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If Xtreme has never built a DE cab before, they may need you to email them a few measurements so they can account for any differences.
Once they have built one DE cab, they will have the CNC program on file, so future cabs can be made automatically.
The company that cuts my cabs did not have the "real" Williams wide body drawings (like Scorpion). I took some pictures, noted the measurements in Photoshop, and the next day I had my pile of parts.
Now, anytime I need another, I just call, they pull up the Cut File, vacuum down a sheet of plywood on the router and it's done in 30 minutes.

This is a great idea. If we had decals made up, new DE cabs would look so @#$@$@ good

#14 10 years ago

I'll reach out to extreme in the next few days. Let's see what develops. I'll keep ya posted.

Otherwise, I will have one hell of a project fixing that cab......

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

If someone had a flat pack ready to go, then this would be a slam dunk. If i have to risk them getting it wrong, then I'm back to fixing my POS....

Let's say he has not done a DE cab yet.

How do we make sure the dimensions are correct and not made wrong?

We all pitch in as a group.

You draw your cab dimensions on a piece of graph paper and post them here.

Then a couple of other people with DE cabs verify the dimensions and post here that they are all good.

Now you know the dimensions are correct because you have 3+ samples of identical data.

Xtreame knows that the plywood is 3/4" thick, so he simply adjusts the dimensions of another cab he has drawn in CAD slightly to the new DE dimensions and now he has the DE cab on file for the future.

#16 10 years ago

May I ask how much you paid for the pin?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from whocanitbenow:

May I ask how much you paid for the pin?

I paid $1600 2 years ago. New to scene, were not many locally to choose from; and he delivered + warranty.
Play field is in good shape (Except for some wear around the wholes covered by cliffs.

Had a few initial problems, which were fixed; and helped me meet a few new pinball people.

I've put about $400-500 so far +another $300 for the decals. I've done a complete tear down of the playfield, replaced some plastics, upgrades to LED's; and replaced all yellow targets.

I would have liked to sale/trade it, but the wife loves it. So it's not a question of what it's worth, but how i can make as near as "minty" as i can.....

#18 10 years ago

Vid,

I will reach out to Extreme next week. Let' see what develops.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Then a couple of other people with DE cabs

Happy to help if needed. Let me know.

#20 10 years ago

I'm in the same boat right now.....picked up a SW project pin. Decent playfield but needs a new cab.

I talked to Paul at VirtuaPins and YES they can make a cabinet for DE. They have not done one yet but he was going to be gathering measurements. He told me "No Problem". Of course theirs are not $250.

Edit.....funny how the two places that can do this are located in Michigan. Lucky for me I can skip the shipping charge.

Edit #2....you can send a message to Extreme right from the "contact us". I just did.

#21 10 years ago

Back in the saddle. Will follow-up with Extreme this week.

I know Virtual Pins will do it. A few have spoke with them, but not sure if their is a timeframe.

Once it is said or done, I dont think either company will charge us just $250....

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Once it is said or done, I dont think either company will charge us just $250....

The company I buy my cabs from charges me $200 out the door; don't let them sell you on rocket science, lol.

#23 10 years ago

Extreme will do a "flat pack" for $250 or fully constructed ready to paint and transfer your components for $350.

#24 10 years ago

Brian,
I don't want to steer this thread the wrong direction. But if vids great idea gets bogged down then fix the cab. It will be the original with a simple new bottom panel. Take a week end to prepare it with Bondo and sand paper and the next weekend paint it with auto spray paint in a can. AJ Foyt store matches my paint perfectly and puts it in the cans. I do use a primer they have on the shelf there first and 30 mins it is dry. Two coats of your base color are a further hour or so and you ready for decals. Primer 1 can $5 each (you need only one) and for paint mixed and put in can ready to spray per can less than $30 (you need 2 cans). They have special nozzles that spray so perfectly a caveman or me can do it.

Steve J

Post edited by moderator: Comma error

#25 10 years ago

Steve....Thanks. Forgive me. What AJ Foyt store? They will mix spray paint? More info...I am very interested.

1 week later
#26 10 years ago

My CP has a bad bottom and head back. There's no CP decals, so new cab would be fantastic but lack of the decals kind of sucks. If I could replace just a panel it would work. I think I've seen one person do a bottom panel, but I didn't know how hard that was.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I think I've seen one person do a bottom panel, but I didn't know how hard that was.

Using an edge guide on a router, you trim off the lip on the two long sides of the cabinet.

Remove any inside cleats with a chisel (don't hit staples with your nice chisel).

The bottom will now "flex" out.

Flex in your new bottom and use some 3/8" molding along the two long sides to secure the bottom.

If you use 1/4" plywood instead of Fibercrap, it will be the last bottom your game will ever need.

#28 10 years ago

Thats the magic we needed to hear from Vid.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-wars-cabinet-restore-vid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.