• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D6C02DF4-856F-461D-B650-9E11B7B69B39_1_201_a (resized).jpeg

#1 6 months ago

Hi All,

Got a Data East Star Wars 1992 from Great American Pinball as shopped with new LEDs and no other mods less than a month ago. Had them come out to fix several things, but they didn't seem too interested in recognizing that anything had to be fixed with 2 issues I raised. I'm going to keep them in separate threads to avoid cross-troubleshooting.

I noticed a vibration and "boing/buzzing" noise a few weeks ago that started out like the sound of a phone vibrating but has progressively been getting worse when I let go of the flippers. When I opened the door, I can clearly hear that it is coming from the spring. Now, I've noticed that it happens if I'm holding onto the flippers.

The tech who came out said the spring looks in great shape and nothing is wrong with the coil or connections. He said I can probably hear it b/c my volume was low. I'm sure if I pump up the volume, it would drown out the spring noise, but it has been getting worse. I can feel the vibration more as well which has nothing to do with volume.

Any thoughts or insights?

D6C02DF4-856F-461D-B650-9E11B7B69B39_1_201_a (resized).jpeg
#2 6 months ago

Is that the spring in question in the picture?

#3 6 months ago

Data East has flippers that can be "noisy". Do you lose power in that flipper after many games? I know playing my DE games know when holding a ball to set up the next shot, there is sometimes a buzz.

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Is that the spring in question in the picture?

Yes sir, and the right does it too.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Data East has flippers that can be "noisy". Do you lose power in that flipper after many games? I know playing my DE games know when holding a ball to set up the next shot, there is sometimes a buzz.

Haven’t experienced power loss. They’re pretty strong.

#6 6 months ago

Sounds like the coil is buzzing. Not much you can do. You can remove the coil stop, slide the coil off the plunger. And dress the top of the coil stop and end of the plunger with a file. To smooth them a little. This can help quiet it down.

LTG : )

#7 6 months ago

I can tell the noise is coming from that spring bc when I touch it while it’s buzzing, it stops. It’s like there’s less tension enough for the spring to vibrate more freely.

I might do your suggestion anyway too!

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from sponjey:

It’s like there’s less tension enough for the spring to vibrate more freely.

Take a loop or two off of it and put it back on.

LTG : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Boards
Slap Save Creations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!