• Latest reply 1 year ago by lefalaf
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mylar.jpg
#1 12 years ago

I figured I would pass this on for anyone else with a Data East Star Trek 25th Anniversary pin looking to brighten up their transporter display.

I'd been experimenting for some time looking for just the right material to replace my crumbling mylar diffuser that sits between the fluorescent light and the shifting glass of the transporter. I finally found the perfect 12"x18" sheet of white mylar at my local Jo Ann Fabrics store for a mere $3! This particular piece is made by Dritz, part #3117.

As I mentioned, it is white mylar and is the the exact same thickness (.01" as the original sheet. My old one was brittle and cracking from age, but hadn't realized how yellowed it had become until it was laying on the table next to the new one. I regret not taking some comparison pictures at the time.

Afterward, I can only say Wow! It made a huge difference. It went from a softer warm white scene to a significantly brighter cool white. If you have one of these machines, you might want to consider doing this inexpensive restoration. It was much bang for the buck in my case.

Mylar.jpgMylar.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Great information, awesome!!

5 years later
#3 6 years ago

Cheers for this information. I'm going to replace mine as its cracked and yellowed to.

#4 6 years ago

Great info as those always seem to be brittle!

4 years later
1 year later
#6 1 year ago

For anyone who finds this old thread, I just tried the Dritz 3117 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085L2Y28) and it is very much white opaque, not semi-opaque as the Amazon listing states. I now notice that some reviews at Amazon also complained of such. Perhaps manufacturing changed in the decade since this first posted, but the current Dritz 3117 was useless for my machine. Fortunately, I found a suitable piece of plastic at home that I was able to cut down and looks great installed.

Also, the Amazon link hpolack posted immediately above looks like it might work, and since that pack has 10 sheets, you could probably just layer more than one if too transparent.

The plastic I found at home is similar in color but more opaque and is super thick at 2mm and rigid, but the transporter is nice and bright with it. It was the base to a throw line bag I bought a dozen years ago and I cannot figure out where I bought it, so no link to share unfortunately.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-trek-transporter-light-diffuser and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.