Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160709_234925_(resized).jpg
20160709_234856_(resized).jpg
image-15_(resized).jpg
image-24_(resized).jpg
large_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Does anyone know where I can source new chase lights for my Data East Star Trek? I just bought it yesterday and they were apparently removed.

#2 7 years ago

I would like to know too. I've thought about building from scratch using rope light, but could not find a look that I liked. Also, the chase light control board on mine was removed for some reason, but I did find a replacement but now have nothing to control. Good luck!

#3 7 years ago

There is this, but it's old and the OP doesn't seem to have responded in a few years.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/sKXjH81Rr-M

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

Bumpety-bump.

#5 7 years ago

How long is the chase light strip? and its width? When does it activate?

#6 7 years ago

Hi Art.

I have no idea to be honest. Mine was completely missing when I got the game and didn't even know it was supposed to have one until I saw a bunch of holes in the ramps. I was poking around in IPDB and saw that the holes were to hold chase lights.

It looks like they are supposed to connect to a "Chase Light Auxiliary Board" that is actually present in my machine.

image-15_(resized).jpgimage-15_(resized).jpg

image-24_(resized).jpgimage-24_(resized).jpg

large_(resized).jpglarge_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Ive only played it a couple times, so I also, have no idea.

The chase lights at this time, to me, may have been like CFTBL?

Coming into the site soon will be a 20" chase light, first color I believe in white, that
is suppose to run off either 6.3V or 12V.
In its current form, it would hook to an event, although having not tested in all environments,
length of chase, relative to power and event needs to be tested.
We have some delay boards, and event power boards in proto, but Tilt Mods has one now.
Whether its our strip, or a standard 12V strip, which can be longer in length, it would seem with a little tinkering you could
create a look you want, and do so well under $25.....no harm in trying, as these could be used elsewhere like starter lanes etc.

Also, that came in, but is on its last iteration after passing inspection are 45 degree micro strips.
Its soft light in one direction, and nice and bright at 45 degrees. Instead of chasing, these would flash on and off, and light either the interior of the ramp, the exterior, or the playfield.

Really sweet looking, and a surprise how nice it works in many games.....I put one on the back splash of NBA Fastbreak, and it looks like stadium lighting!

Of course, the best is the original version...not sure if it was made, or simply considered and left there, but other owners would know.

Comet Products, with the recent change, should appear in 30-90 days as my best guess.

#8 7 years ago

I found a short video and it appears as though they chase all the time and then flash when you hit a ramp. I can't seem to find anything that shows what it might do differently during multiball though, if anything.

This was what someone said on the Google page I linked to earlier.

"I called a rope light manufacturer in China and had them build me a 4-wire, 12V roll of blue "super chasing" lights with a +12V positive common ground."

#9 7 years ago

Here is a pinside thread about repairing the chase lights. It seems like the OP is pretty familiar with the lights. Perhaps you could contact him and he would have a suggestion for you?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/chase-rope-repair-in-data-east-st-and-hook

#10 7 years ago

Great find! Thanks brucipher.

#11 7 years ago

You can make them yourself with 12v leds. I did it for mine and it turned out pretty well. Ill post a pic for you to see this evening. The real trick is getting the blue tube. Im sure you can get blue rope light and just remove the existing bulbs. The lights chase during game play, flash during damp shots aand reverses when the transporter energizes.

#12 7 years ago

If you don't mind, any pictures you could post would be awesome. Thanks!

#13 7 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts about how to remove the back subway behind the mirror?

#14 7 years ago

Sorry for the delay. Worked till 9 and that Ballwin shooting was literally a stones throw from my house. The left side is the led. The right side is the original incandescent. I remember making the led chase light during the women's world cup vs Japan. That was fun. If you need help pm me. I likely have enough leds for your machine and mine.

20160709_234856_(resized).jpg20160709_234856_(resized).jpg
20160709_234925_(resized).jpg20160709_234925_(resized).jpg

#15 7 years ago

In the future... I hope to finish planning to use this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12929

But I haven't even started that yet.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Anyone have any thoughts about how to remove the back subway behind the mirror?

You have to take the mirror off. It's only a couple screws from the front, and a harness to unplug.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

You have to take the mirror off. It's only a couple screws from the front, and a harness to unplug.

Thank you. Pretty tight back there...

1 week later
#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

In the future... I hope to finish planning to use this:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12929
But I haven't even started that yet.

Cool - would love to know how it goes and to see what this would look like. I noticed a couple of comments on the product page that folks thought the effect was a bit dim.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

You can make them yourself with 12v leds. I did it for mine and it turned out pretty well. Ill post a pic for you to see this evening. The real trick is getting the blue tube. Im sure you can get blue rope light and just remove the existing bulbs. The lights chase during game play, flash during damp shots aand reverses when the transporter energizes.

Curious, from where did you source your 12v LEDs?

#20 7 years ago

I used EL Wire and hooked it up to a sound controller and they pulse with the bass. My Chase Light Auxiliary Board kept on burning up. I even bought the reproduction board and that literally started on fire. So, I am content and happy with the EL and audio controller.

#21 7 years ago

Amazon I think. Bundle of 100. Had to wait for the long boat ride from Asia. But they work well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-trek-chase-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.