(Topic ID: 65819)

DE Star Trek 25th Anniv. Question

By PinballShawn

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

If someone has one of these can you answer me this, Does it have a big fan in the backbox? I'm not a DMD era collector, I got this in trade. I mean there is a big computer style fan, blowing air INTO the backbox, not exhausting. Seems pretty loud. I've worked on a lot of games but I've never seen (or heard) a fan like this in the BB. It struggles with the attract mode and when a game was played. I was working in the backbox all day in it and I pulled the plug since it wasn't helping anyway. The game ran far better without it btw.
I'm just curious if someone added this in because it sure as hell looks like it was.

#2 10 years ago

Both a buddy and I each have a DE ST25. Each had a fan in the back box, although one was completely fried and the other was very noisy and installed as an exhaust fan. I wound up replacing both with a low noise version from radio shack. I ran one of pins without the fan, but seemed to get intermittent sound after the game was on for awhile. This seemed to go away when I reconnected the fan and replaced some burnt out bulbs in the back box.

#3 10 years ago

I have to get another one then. That is crazy, it doesn't even fit the hole! They must've had a problem with these because there is no way an engineer jammed that big fan over a small hole. The fan seems to struggle when the lights are flashing, or when anything draws power. I think a smaller fan would do the trick.
Are you familiar with the game, I have a few small problems and don't have an schematics. I'd appreciate any help.

#4 10 years ago

With the exception of the chase lights which are still a work in progress, I pretty much brought the game back from the dead as it had been on route before I bought it. The fan I used was a similar voltage but had less of a current draw and was ultra quiet. Although the manual on the Internet Pinball DataBase seemed to be missing a couple of early pages, I do believe the schematics were there.

#5 10 years ago

I'm just having a slight GI issue with the lower lights on the BG. It's weird. The game has been dead for a good while apparently. Got it this morning still in shrink wrap from a guys garage, dead. Pulled the PCB and reflowed all the pins, cleaned up someone else's crappy work. Surprisingly it fired right up. Broken wires here and there. Was resetting like it had a bad bridge, but I found a broken diode on a pop bumper and just resoldered it. No reset problems since.
Was hoping someone had the GI issue already before I start tracing wires. Would've been cool to wrap almost everything up in one day! I'm also having an issue with the left ramp going up and down, but I see it's been discussed on here before.

#6 10 years ago

The problem with the fan is not that it's noise... but that only 1/3 of the fan is "open".
The other 2/3rds it blocked by the backbox.

making a standoff out of wood would proably be just as good.

#7 10 years ago

There sould be a fan blowing the air out of the backbox.
I think any fan can do the trick. As stated before the backbox is blocking a big part of the fan.
However, it does cause a forced air flow which is much bigger than the normal natural ventilation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-star-trek-25th-anniv-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.