Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tjprice222
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I've read about this problem before and I've tried a couple fixes but it's not enough yet. The Princess Kashmir Right Vertical Up Kicker on my DE Simpsons is crazy inconsistent. Sometimes it kicks super hard for maybe 30 or 40 straight kicks, then it can't get the ball up the wire ramp for 6-10 straight kicks. It's really inconsistent.

I've replaced the ball cup since it seemed really worn and I have smoothed down the metal plunger with 220 grit until it is very smooth as mentioned in this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-simpsons-weak-vuk

It wasn't that rough in the first place but I wanted to try some easier stuff first.

I have NOT changed the coil sleeves yet. I ordered some but they were not flanged. I just now ordered some flanged ones. That being said the sleeve seems to be in good shape, and the plunger seems to move very smoothly in it. The switch works great and is very responsive. The whole assembly is pretty clean. No apparent attempts to grease or oil the thing in the past.

I haven't swapped out the VUK assembly with the Bigfoot Left VUK, though I understand that's an option. I have not replaced the coil yet, although I have one on order.

It's just the inconsistency that's killing me here - so many times in a row that sucker will push the ball onto the ramp like it is brand new for 40 straight kicks, and then it gets weak for 6 kicks, then it's back to being strong again.

Does anyone have a good idea for the best plan of attack?

1 week later
#2 3 years ago

I changed the coil sleeve and the coil and it seems *better* but it still goes through these weird times where its weak and doesn't get to the ramp. Other times it fires the ball hard enough to kill someone.

#3 3 years ago

I think pinball life sells a complete rebuild kit for the DE VUKs. I had the same issue on the same machine. Rebuild did the trick.

3 weeks later
#4 3 years ago

Jeez, I'm sorta glad I'm not alone, I thought maybe it was just my machine. I've rebuilt both of my Simpsons VUK's with PBR kits and while the left one works every time without incident, I have the same problem as you with the right one. In fact, it's more frequent, I'd say 1 out of every 4 kicks doesn't make it far enough into the habitrail without crashing back down. That's with all new parts, AND the solenoid on its strongest setting (you did know that's an option, right?). I tend to think it's one of two things, either the coil is on the fence of having enough power for a complete kick, or the sharp turn in the habitrail puts enough friction on the ball to slow it enough that gravity takes over. Or a combination or both.

The part number for this particular coil is 090-5001-00 23-800. If I knew what the next-most-powerful Data East coil was, I would order one and swap it in, so if anyone knows please chime in. Maybe even a little wax on the green habitrail might be enough to let the ball slide by a little more often.

#5 3 years ago

This may sound crazy but my JP had the same issue with the right VUK. The left scoop eject cool was weak intermittently as well. I changed coils, sleeves, rebuild kits etc but nothing worked.

A few weeks ago my power supply board went dead and I couldn't boot the game. To save time, I picked up a new board from Little Shop of Games for 100 bucks. Fired the game up and holy crap...ball roars out of the left scoop and never fails on the right VUK. Even the shaker motor feels stronger now.

Obviously, something was going bad on the power supply board. Perhaps a rebuild will help with some of these issues. Hope that helps. Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside