Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by drsfmd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

This game is starting to drive me a little crazy. I just replaced a sleeve on the right VUK to try and fix the inconsistent kickout, and now none of the flashers or coils work.

The flippers work fine, but none of the play field flashers or coils do anything. No switches are stuck and I don't see anything obvious on the boards - nothing loose or burnt as far as I can see. Can anyone please help with some very specific basics?

#2 6 years ago

Did you check the fuse for coils mounted to the backbox wall ?

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

I did. The flipper fuse seems a little loose but the coil fuses seemed tight and toned out. I think it's F6 on the PPB and F5 and F6 on the power supply board. I also reseated the connectors coming out of the power supply board as well.

Right now I am going to look for obvious grounds.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

coil fuses seemed tight and toned out.

Did you pull them out and check with a meter ?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you pull them out and check with a meter ?

Yeah, each one. After reseating the fuses I would get a few pops or a few flashes with a LOT of noise in the speakers so I was somewhat convinced that I had a bad coil, bad diode, or a ground issue. I replaced the VUK coil and diode and cleaned up the wires and now it works again.

I know it's bad voodoo to replace a bunch of stuff in hopes of fixing something, but I wanted to replace the coil anyway because of VUK re-kicking issues. Maybe me scrunching around trying to fix the VUK might have grounded something or shorted it.

And lo and behold, a new coil, a new sleeve, a new diode, a new cup... and the VUK STILL REKICKS. I know the enemy of good is perfect but I feel like I have to fix this damn vertical up kicker.

1 week later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

And lo and behold, a new coil, a new sleeve, a new diode, a new cup... and the VUK STILL REKICKS. I know the enemy of good is perfect but I feel like I have to fix this damn vertical up kicker.

Do you mean it repeatedly keeps firing during a game? If so, the switch is installed wrong or needs adjustment.

Or does it fire and stay up when you just turn in the game?

1 week later
#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Do you mean it repeatedly keeps firing during a game? If so, the switch is installed wrong or needs adjustment.
Or does it fire and stay up when you just turn in the game?

Oh, it fires at the correct time, when a ball is on it. It just doesn't push the ball out the ramp every time. 4 or 5 times in a row and then it works for 30-40 times.

#8 6 years ago

On issues where the plunger seems to hit a bit weaker than it should, I normally change the coil sleeve, then use 220 grit sand paper to smooth out the whole plunger (going in the direction that it was machined) and then wipe it off with novus 2.

#9 6 years ago

Yeah, I did that. New sleeve, cup, and insanded down the plunger. Same. Then I bought a new coil. Still the same. The plunger is very smooth in the sleeve. My last move might be to figure out how to extend the travel of the plunger.

I even went back on rec.games.pinball and saw some of my old posts from the early 90s and people were complaining about it then!

Thanks though. I might replace the metal rails next.

#10 6 years ago

I assume you checked the switch in the door frame that turns off the 50v when you open the door?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-simpsons-no-flashers-no-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.