(Topic ID: 283913)

DE Simpsons EPROM question

By Parkshow30

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CA1EC858-7B32-4334-BE69-83CE3D8D3EC8 (resized).jpeg
    66BAE3EA-A331-4DC6-AFE5-BF9BF630C5D9 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

So I diagnosed my Data East Simpsons as having a bad EPROM. I looked at the DE repair wiki and my problem matches up exactly what they describe as a bad EPROM at “5c and or 5b”. I have a Rottendog board. In the manual and online they show the Simpsons as having an EPROM at both 5b and 5c but my board just has one at 5c. It has worked fine for almost 3 years.
    I ordered the EPROM set from Marco as I needed a few other parts for other games. When it gets here do I just put in both EPROMs or so I need to do something to the board.
    The current EPROM that went bad was from Ks arcade and they sell just the 5c that they say works instead of having both but then they talk about stuff being jumpered, no idea what that means.
    Any insight would be appreciated, thanks

#2 3 years ago

What size are the original two eproms? And what size is the new eprom.
    I don't have the Simpsons board in front of me, but a Monday night football. In B there is a 27128 and in C there is a 27256. I am guessing the Simpsons is probably the same, assumption on my part as they are similar games built about the same time.

If they did not merge the program into a single eprom, then the size will be the same on each individual original dual eprom. If they merged them into a singl eprom it will probably be something like a 27512. It has to be a larger size if merged, if you follow. The person who sold you the eprom should be a good person to ask. If they sold you one eprom of a set of two, well, shame on them, IMO. These should be burned/replaced as a set for good measure.

Note, a lot or people re-flash crappy used eproms and re-sell them. These are usually the ones that go bad at a much higher rate, at least that is what I have found. It is extremely rare for an original eprom to go bad unless someone did something stupid to it.

#3 3 years ago

Here are some pictures, I don’t know what the rom size is for the current one. I have not had any rom issues before so I don’t really know anything about them yet.
    At B5 on the board it says 28k with J4 blank with J5
    At C5 it says 256kk with J4 512k with J5.

I bought the B5 and C5 game Roms from Marco, they were $10 each.
    Thanks Athens95 for the reply

To clarify the rom in the picture is the one that went bad, the two from Marco are on the way in the mail.

66BAE3EA-A331-4DC6-AFE5-BF9BF630C5D9 (resized).jpeg66BAE3EA-A331-4DC6-AFE5-BF9BF630C5D9 (resized).jpegCA1EC858-7B32-4334-BE69-83CE3D8D3EC8 (resized).jpegCA1EC858-7B32-4334-BE69-83CE3D8D3EC8 (resized).jpeg

#4 3 years ago

Looks like I will have some time to figure it out. Should have been here today, paid a little extra for priority but the post office as usual is way behind, they don’t even know when it’s going to arrive now, hopefully they haven’t lost it.

1 week later
    #5 3 years ago

So an update in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation. EPROMs arrived. There was a zero ohm resistor (one single black band in the middle) at J5 and J4 had nothing. I unsoldered the zero ohm resistor at J5 and soldered it back on at J4. Put both EPROM chips in and the game works again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-simpsons-eprom-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.