You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bracket (resized).jpg
end_plate (resized).jpg
pivot_shaft (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

I am working on a couple of Harley Davidson pins that while in good overall shape I suspect have seen a fair number of plays. These games have 2 sets of 500-5799-04 4 drop target assemblies. These seem to be the same used back to at least The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. On all 4 assemblies, the target lift/reset bracket (535-6509-04) hangs straight down when the playfield is in the normal horizontal playing position and as a result, the plungers for the coils fall out into the cabinet. The stop flange on the lift bracket skips/hops right over the adjustment bracket (535-6508-00).

I think what is going on is because there has been so much use that the holes in the end plates (535-6162-00) where the pivot shaft (530-5180-04) goes through have worn to be much larger and oblong (see the attached picture). Even the pivot shaft itself has worn down to be smaller where it makes contact with the End Plate (see attached picture).

My natural instinct would be to replace the pivot 4x Pivot Shafts and 8x end plates however I can't find Pivot Shafts in stock anywhere. I can get the End Plates at Marco for $16 each but the Pivot Shafts are not in stock anywhere I can find in the USA. It looks like the end plates have the same hole. The end plates have a mirror unused hole to where the pivot shaft goes, it looks like I could get away with reversing the end plates so that the pivot shaft goes through the unused hole but that would not solve the damaged shaft issue. Another option might is maybe I could find a bushing of some sort and drill out the damaged pivot shaft hole and put that in?

Any advice as to what people have done to solve this would be really helpful, thank you!

end_plate (resized).jpgpivot_shaft (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

I swapped the end plates side to side. If they are the same as in my Last Action Hero. The holes were badly worn. Did this in my DE Star Wars also. This will solve the enlarged hole problem.

#3 3 months ago

It's great to hear someone else has had success with flipping the end plates around. Where your pivot shafts worn significantly and if so did you have a lot of play between the shaft and opening after flipping it around? Trying to workout if I need to change the shafts out or can work with what I have. I think I found one German supplier who has them in stock for reasonable prices, of course shipping to the US is significant however.

#4 3 months ago

I had no issues when I flipped them around. I think my shafts were not worn that much. The hole were real bad though. Egg shaped.

There must be something you can use to fill in the wear on the shaft. Maybe JB weld? Fill in and file down.

#5 3 months ago

If a hole in a side bracket etc. is that bad, an option is to drill it out to suit a nyliner https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8790

#6 3 months ago

What is the function of the adjustment bracket? Is it to control where the flange on the target lift bracket stops? If so what is the optimal adjustment?

I have learned a few things I thought I might share. First, the damage is far worse on the end opposite the coil, this is true for all 4 drop target assemblies. 

Second, if you need to replace the pivot shaft (which also only seems to wear on the end opposite the coil) you can use a longer pivot shaft without even modifying it. So if you have a 3-target assembly you can use a 4 or 5-target pivot shaft and the excess will just hang out the end. The 1/8 e-clip placement is the same for all sizes and only on the coil end, the rest of the shaft is just an unmodified rod. All the shafts have the same initial part numbers 530-5180 with a -0X at the end where the X is the number of targets so a 3 target is 530-5180-03. I did find one place that had the 4 bank in stock at a very reasonable price called The Pin Witch out of Germany, shipping is like $11 but the shafts are like $2.50 so not bad.

Flipping the end plates around works great, however, I did not realize that the target lift brackets themselves are in bad shape and will either need grommets or nyliners. Never used a nyliner before and am a bit worried that they will end up off-center causing jams. You can still buy the target lift brackets at Marco. 

bracket (resized).jpg
#7 3 months ago
Quoted from radix:

What is the function of the adjustment bracket?

Control of the D/T down height and dampen hyper extension
of the reset bracket plate.

#8 3 months ago
Quoted from radix:

What is the function of the adjustment bracket? Is it to control where the flange on the target lift bracket stops? If so what is the optimal adjustment?
I have learned a few things I thought I might share. First, the damage is far worse on the end opposite the coil, this is true for all 4 drop target assemblies. 
 Second, if you need to replace the pivot shaft (which also only seems to wear on the end opposite the coil) you can use a longer pivot shaft without even modifying it. So if you have a 3-target assembly you can use a 4 or 5-target pivot shaft and the excess will just hang out the end. The 1/8 e-clip placement is the same for all sizes and only on the coil end, the rest of the shaft is just an unmodified rod. All the shafts have the same initial part numbers 530-5180 with a -0X at the end where the X is the number of targets so a 3 target is 530-5180-03. I did find one place that had the 4 bank in stock at a very reasonable price called The Pin Witch out of Germany, shipping is like $11 but the shafts are like $2.50 so not bad.
Flipping the end plates around works great, however, I did not realize that the target lift brackets themselves are in bad shape and will either need grommets or nyliners. Never used a nyliner before and am a bit worried that they will end up off-center causing jams. You can still buy the target lift brackets at Marco. [quoted image]

I had a machinist use brass tubing to fix that kind of problem.

2 months later
#9 39 days ago

Looks like Mantis Pinball is making the reset brackets and end plates in stainless steel now. That should be way more durable, I am going to order some. Here is the parts announcement https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mantis-new-parts-available#post-7202842

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Luling, LA
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
5,895 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Machine - For Sale
Lady Lake, FL
5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!