(Topic ID: 107269)

DE Rocky & Bullwinkle Right Flipper Problem: (fixed)

By FirebrandX

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE-SSFB-Back.jpg
DE-SSFB-Front.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I was playing the game for about an hour today when the right flipper suddenly got stuck in the hold position, and then died. The button still was registering with the computer display and changing skill shot lights, but the flipper wouldn't respond. I lifted up the playfield and found the 3A SB fuse had burned up in socket F1 (which deals with the right flipper) on the Solid State Flipper Board. I put a new fuse in there and again, flipper gets stuck and eventually dies. New fuse burned up as well.

Is this a problem with the SSFB or perhaps a board in the backbox? Anyone with experience on these DE machine issues dealing with the SSFB that could offer some advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For the record, my PSB is a brand new X-pin, but the PPB and SSFB are both original 20+ year old boards.

#2 9 years ago

Doing some googling, I've read where this is a lot of the time the SSFB crapping out (or rather components on it). I've been meaning to replace it anyway, so I've ordered an aftermarket Pinled 40001 replacement board. I'll post again on whether or not that fixes the issue when it arrives in a few weeks.

#3 9 years ago

tip 36c is bad on the ssfb, easy $2-$3.00 fix.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Doing some googling, I've read where this is a lot of the time the SSFB crapping out (or rather components on it). I've been meaning to replace it anyway, so I've ordered an aftermarket Pinled 40001 replacement board. I'll post again on whether or not that fixes the issue when it arrives in a few weeks.

I'm willing to bet that the drive transistor on the old DE flipper board has failed by shorting out.

Don't get rid of the old board even after you get the new one in, they can be fixed.

RussM

#5 9 years ago

Copy that guys. I will save it. Even though the fix may only be a $3.00 job, I had been meaning to replace the board anyway. This just forced me to get off my rear and order it.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from FirebrandX:

Copy that guys. I will save it. Even though the fix may only be a $3.00 job, I had been meaning to replace the board anyway. This just forced me to get off my rear and order it.

If you were closer to me I'd fix it for you.

It's not very difficult.

RM

#7 9 years ago

I yanked the old board out to inspect it and have included pictures (I removed the burnt fuse at F1). You can tell from the solder side that someone had clearly serviced this board at least once in the past. Note the scratches and difference in soldering quality in a few locations, specifically tip 36C as Brtlkat mentioned.

DE-SSFB-Front.jpgDE-SSFB-Front.jpg
DE-SSFB-Back.jpgDE-SSFB-Back.jpg

1 week later
#8 9 years ago

Update: New Flipper Board from pinLED in Germany arrived today. Installed it and it works great! So as of right now, the machine has a new X-pin PSB, a new Vishay DMD, and a new pinLED Flipper Board. I've kept the original PSB and SSFB on hand so they can be repaired as backups.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
$ 18.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
3,900 (OBO)
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-rocky-bullwinkle-right-flipper-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.