7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by grbgemen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grbgemen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Working on a Data East Maverick and have two drop target banks not resetting. Lower left 5 bank and lower right 4 bank.

Both drop target mechs try to reset when first powered on, in game, or in test mode. I can see the coil try to fire and slightly move(1/8" travel) the plunger. I also hear the a slight buzz from each coil. Coils try to reset a few times and that's it. Both drop target mechs have been cleaned and new sleeves. Both mechs can be reset manually with no binding. All target switches register in game and in test. Showing 40v at each coil.

All other coils/flashers work fine.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Try holding the plunger partially in the coil and see if it can "grab" it then.

Tried this. No go.

#4 7 years ago

Also wanted to add that I have reflowed solder at header pins on PPB board. There was a few cold solder joints but those were related to lamps.

Fuse holders are all suprisingly in good shape. Not tarnished or worn out.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Time to make sparks! Connect a jumper to ground and quickly tap it on the signal lug of the coil. Do you get a strong fire?

Yes. Was just coming back to update. Had some time to mess with this some more. Grounding the transistor tab for each drop target coil does produce a strong fire.

So it appears the problem lies up stream from the transistors. Pre driver, 7408, or 6821 PIA.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Keep in mind that the tab of the transistor is direct-connect to the output connector pin. Grounding the tab doesn't turn the tranny ON, it simulates an ON signal from it. The tranny is still suspect, but two at the same time? I guess stranger things have happened...

You were correct. It ended up being the transistor for each coil. Since both coils were having the issue, I figured it would be further up the line.

Thanks for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grbgemen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-maverick-drop-targets-not-resetting?tu=grbgemen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.