2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220306_042803650 (resized).jpg
    de (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

I have a Rocky and Bullwinkle to repair. Previous attemps have made a huge mess - cut wires, messy work and ignored the huge battery corrosion on the mpu!

I purchased a new Rottendog MPU and it booted up fine, however i've found the super VUK and 4 flashers on the same circuit lock on...well sort of. The VUK locks immediately on power up, however the flashers on lock on once you start a game and they activate - ie: they are off, but once activated they stay on (but pulse brighter occaisionally) I suspect this has something to do with the fact they are on the same circuit, adn don't get activated until the K1 relay switches sides.

I've got a pic of the relevatn part of the schematic. I have replaced Q4, D5, D13 and R5 test good in circuit (test identical to all other simialr components on the PPB board), and the MPU is new. Really the only other step i can see is to replace Q42 on the MPU - or is there something else i'm potentially missing? I've visually inspected the VUK and flasher wiring/mounting and can't see any obvious places it might be shorting.

de (resized).JPGde (resized).JPG
    #2 2 years ago

Well it must have been a Friday arv build at the rottendog factory.....a capacitor instead of a 10k resistor was installed at q42! Replaced q42 and installed correct resistor and it's working. I suppose you can't assume a new board is good!

PXL_20220306_042803650 (resized).jpgPXL_20220306_042803650 (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago

Never assume a replacement board is 'equal' to the original. Many things change like parts availability and so on. In your case, human error.

It does tell me these boards are not tested before being shipped out and that's a bad situation IMO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-locked-coils-and-flashers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.