Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by thedefog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Game was working fine. No issues for 100+ games.

Now, outhole coil keeps locking on & blowing TIP102s after just 1 engagement. Normally, that would mean a bad coil, bad diode or upstream issue on the MPU. However....

MPU side
2n4401 pre-driver replaced - no change - tested again after a few further TIP102 failures/replacements, and checks out OK.
7408 Logic AND gate @ 1J for TIP 23-30 replaced -no change
Leon's test run, PIA checks out OK, no locked signal
Both associated resistor arrays in the path tested OK
Logic probed 7408, Coil 9-16 PIA, 2n4401 and newly installed TIP102 for pulses during the outhole coil test with CN12 disconnected with Game ROM installed, checks out OK

PF side
Coil is 23-840, reads 4 ohms. Manually fires properly when gnd tested directly while CN12 is disconnected.
Coil diode has been replaced, coil diode is in the right orientation.
I have physically traced the ground wire back to the connector. No nicks anywhere.
Power to the coil is correct @ +32v

I checked a few of the diodes on the associated RED power line coils. All diodes are present, the few I clipped to test were fine, and they work fine in game with the gnd wire to Q23 disconnected.

I am assuming there is some kind of interaction going on PF side. No idea what to test next here.

#2 3 years ago

Spent some more time on this last night. Began shotgun replacing stuff. Socketed the other 7408 at 2J. Replaced the pre-driver and TIP102 again. Tempted to remove the PIA, but I that will be a last resort. Have not fired it up again with CN12 connected yet.

One thing I did notice is that I replaced the 7408 TTL with 74hct08, and the AND gate outputs sit at .25v idle on those ICs. The remaining 2 non-socketed 7408's at 3J & 4J sit around .12v.

Going to try putting a different coil in place, a lower power 26-1200 coil just for shits at this point. If that doesn't solve it, that should rule out PF and I replace the PIA. Divide and conquer at this stage.

#3 3 years ago

Replace the coil, not locking at the moment and killing TIP102, but more testing needed.
Had a few random game resets now, so it seems like a board issue.

#4 3 years ago

Had the ball eject coil lock on me and blow TIP102. Started to question why DE even used 23-840 coils as the outhole and ball eject, seems pretty over powered for the job.

Both now have 26-1200 coils in place and are more than adequate for the job. This seems like a kludge more than a proper fix, but I suspect something in the red power line is being pushed to a threshold where it is being overly taxed on these two drivers. Special solenoid section shares this power line, and the pops are 23-800 coils in this game. When I got it, someone had replaced the pops with lower power coils, and there was even a 10ohm sand resistor in line with the ball eject coil gnd return....Now I know why they put that hack in there, and after putting the correct type pop coils in place, it was probably enough to push it over the limit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-laser-war-outhole-coil-locking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.