Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adalogue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm new here...hopefully you folks can help but an end to my first pin misery!

Name of game, manufacturer and year: Data East Jurassic Park, 1993

Did it ever work in your Possession?: Yes - Briefly.

Did You Run the Diagnostics?: Yes. No issues.

Where did the game come from?: Fellow Pinsider

Have needed MODS been done?: From what I know of, yes.

Are any aftermarket boards installed?: Lots. Rottendog MPU, Rottendog Flipper, XPin PPB, Pinsound

What was the last service you performed?: Prior to me receiving it, new turbo pop bumpers were installed and the rottendog MPU was added.

Battery Corrosion: none

LED or Incandescent lighting?: LED

Blown fuses: F5 blew during first multiball. After being replaced, at start of next game, both main flippers fired and blew the F1 & F3 fuses.

Smell:None

Obvious Past Work Performed: Boards mentioned above, a variety of coils underneath.

Do you have a Volt Meter?: Yes

Can you solder?: Yes...but it has been a long time.

Issue: When the ball release coil fires, the two main flippers fire once and blow their fuses. This also happens if I go into diagnostics - it happens as soon as the DMD says the 1-800-raptors number.

Here's a video of it in action.

#action=share

Any help is hugely appreciated. thank you!

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

When the ball release coil fires, the two main flippers fire once and blow their fuses. This also happens if I go into diagnostics - it happens as soon as the DMD says the 1-800-raptors number.
Here's a video of it in action.
#action=share
Any help is hugely appreciated. thank you!

I only see the lower left flipper fire when the ball is launched, not right. Try swapping the flipper board connections between left and right flipper and see if issue stays with same flipper or moves to other flipper.

#3 3 years ago

Upon inspection of the schematic, I see these are on the same connector, so not easy to swap wires. Do the LEDs on the flipper board turn on when the flipper fires? If yes, inspect flipper button switch and EOS switch. If no, test transistors or replace flipper board.

If the flipper button switch is stuck closed, the fuses shouldn’t blow as the flipper board should send the hold voltage and not the power stroke voltage, the fuse should only blow if the power stroke voltage is held too long, and this is controlled on the flipper board based on input from the EOS switch and some onboard logic/timing circuits.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from adalogue:

I only see the lower left flipper fire when the ball is launched, not right. Try swapping the flipper board connections between left and right flipper and see if issue stays with same flipper or moves to other flipper.

I should have mentioned...when I shot the video I had only replaced one fuse...trying to save a few for troubleshooting! If both fuses were new, both would have flipped and both would have blown.

I'll check the LEDs and report back. Are there specific transistors I should be checking, or just check all on the flipper board?

thanks so much.
-S

#5 3 years ago

Check for broken wires on flipper coils or other wires possibly broken off and shorting to ground. Also start testing the associated diodes and transistors on those fuse lines.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from scootss:

Are there specific transistors I should be checking, or just check all on the flipper board?
thanks so much.
-S

Yes - the two lower flippers are "Coil A" and "Coil B" in the schematic, trace these back and see, there are a lot of them. Typically it's the TIP36C that fails first, those are Q3 and Q10. If the flipper board LEDs don't come on and your flippers flip, there is something on the board that is telling them to flip erroneously, unless you have some sort of wiring short as suggested by eyeamred2u.

#7 3 years ago

You mention there is a Rottendog flipper board installed. Post a picture of it so we can tell the switches are set properly for JP.

Do you have the original DE flipper and MPU boards?

#8 3 years ago

Thanks guys. Ended up being issues on both the PPB and the flipper board. Swapped out and all good. Could have possibly diagnosed to solve a more specific issue, but wasn't in a position to do that at the time. I appreciate the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-jurassic-park-flippers-fire-amp-blow-fuses?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.