• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 3 years ago

Hello again,

I am chasing a sound issue in my Hook that cropped up again today. This problem has come and gone in recent months and seems to be caused by some kind of wiring issue. During my last foray through the machine changing rubber and bulbs, I bumped whatever it was that was causing it and it went away. Today my Pinsound system arrived and apparently I re-bumped the issue while I was installing it because it's back again. I was hoping the root of this issue was the original DE board but that appears not to be the case.

The general issue is that when I start a game, I have sounds and effects, but no music. Then at specific events in the game, the music will kick on, and then will kick off again at other events It seems like these calls are possibly coming from the CPU to start the various background music files, but for certain events, the music is not firing.

There are two events where the music will start - at the end of a ball - and it's specifically the end-ball command, because the music will not come on if the ball goes down the chute and it gives the "try again" opportunity. The music will come on at ball end, play briefly, and then will cut off again at the start of the next ball when the outhole coil fires to send the ball to the plunger.

The other event where music will start is when all the targets are hit and the opportunity to start Multiball is activated. Once that happens, the music will continue until the end of the ball... then the outhole music will start, and then the music cuts off again when the next ball starts.

For whatever it's worth, this issue has persisted both through a change of ROMs from 4.04 to Chad's 5.01, and a change of the original sound board to a Pinsound system.

What I'm hoping someone out there could ID for me is what wiring harness is sending the commands from the CPU to the sound card. I'm thinking that is where my issue is based. Or perhaps I'm completely off on this and someone else has a better idea.

EDIT: Another variable that has me suspicious is the volume control. The Pinsound system actually worked great initially until I hooked up the headphone jack and tested the volume control on it. The volume control on this machine has always been sketchy... it really only goes from quiet to really loud and back again. I'm thinking along the lines of did adjusting the volume send some signal to the power supply that got something stuck somewhere.

Thanks in advance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-hook-sound-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.