• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jasong78
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Hook Data East, 1992
#1 9 years ago

I have just fitted a rottendog power board to my hook and am having the sound cut out randomly during play, sound always starts again at end of ball, I am not sure if this is related to the rottendog or if it is a sound board issue, sound tends to go off 20-30 seconds into a ball , a click and totally off, sometimes it will come back during the ball but usually not until the bonus count at end of ball.

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Andy

#2 9 years ago

I don't have any experiences with rottendog powerboards. Can you check the voltages? Maybe the 5 Volts is a bit low causing the reset circuitry at the soundboard to trip. The CPU is the same circuitry however, i would expect some problems there also.

The band/flatcable from CPU board to soundboard is also a possible source of problems.

Marco

#3 9 years ago

Hi Marco,

5v is the issue, thank you I measured the 5v when sound is playing, exactly 5v at the power board, and 4.995v at the + of C63 on the sound board, played a ball until the sound stopped and trapped it, still got 5v at the test point on power board but only 1.9v at the + of C63 on the sound board, allowed the ball to drain and C63 showed 4.995v again and sound was back.

Question now is, why is the voltage dropping at the sound board, the reason I put a rottendog board in was because I fried the original by carelessly connecting -100v to +100v at the DMD power out connector, maybe I fried something on the sound board too?

Andy

#4 9 years ago

You should be able to put the original back in and start a game with no displays and see if the sound cuts out

#5 9 years ago

I will try that tomorrow, good thinking, thanks

#6 9 years ago

There are different 5v at the sound board. There's logic 5v and there's analog +/-5v that is derived from 12v through a 7805 and 7905 on the sound board (that's why the schematic has 5A in some spots). If your logic 5v was dropping to below 2v, the entire machine would reset as Marco suggests.

Have you upgraded your speakers in your Hook? Unfortunately, there might be a design issue on the 12v rail with the RD supply that could only be fixed with a mod:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rottendog-data-east-power-supply-board-design-issue

viperrwk

3 months later
#7 9 years ago

I'm having the same issue with my Hook as well when the ball goes up the left ramp. From what I can tell so far is that the red rope lights are causing the issue, and I've also noticed that one set of the three sets of lights in the rope are not working and only two of the three sets of lights in the rope are working correctly. If I unplug the small driver board in the upper right corner the sounds issues all go away. I installed a NOS board and the problem is still there. So I'm thinking whatever controls that third set of lights from not working is also causing the sound problems. Did you ever figure out anything more on this then what I've just discovered ?

Thanks,
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi
269-979-3836

8 months later
#8 8 years ago

Figured it out for you, the problem is with both xpin and rd powers supplies arnt made for both hook and st as they claim , both have a chaser board that require different power requirements unplug the chaser board problem solved , its the top right circuit above the mpu

#9 8 years ago

Nevermind didn't read dayhuffs comment , I got the same issue also , going to try different chaser board

#10 8 years ago

Have you tried reseating the sound ribbon cable at the sound board and the other end at the MPU board? This fixed issues with 3 different DE games I worked on this year where some sounds kept repeating when they shouldn't have. Sounds sometimes cut out at wrong times as well.

#11 8 years ago

i just got done switching power supplies with another DE game i have and it works, it is an issue with xpin power supplies, seems as though when the GI goes out and the rope lighting is still on it affects sound and only then

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

issue with xpin power supplies

What model number is this board?

#13 8 years ago

xp-de5047 Rev E , rotten dog has the same issue, from what i gather it mostly stems from the fact both alternative power supplies are regulated as the original isn't

#14 8 years ago

and pinscore works but i cannot locate one

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-hook-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.