(Topic ID: 341019)

DE GNR Freezes

By Dan_Halen

11 months ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Hi All!

I’ve been having a jolly old time trying to get a GNR up and running. When I first got to the machine it’d had poorly repaired battery damage a decade ago that has seemed to come back, but we popped in a Rottendog MPU and it works great, kind of.

Thing is, if we leave the DMD power plugged in, it will not work, it just turns on GI and that’s it. I unplugged the power to the DMD and the game fires right up, sound works, and it plays great.

I hooked a DMM onto the 5V test point of the game and the second I plug that DMD in the voltage goes from ~5.0 down to ~.05V so the display is killing the 5V somehow, I’m just kind of at a loss. I’m going to pick up the machine on Saturday as I didn’t want to drive 45min each way to try one off things, but I’m hoping to get some ideas to try here.

I’d happened to have a Rottendog DMD controller in my toolbox, so I popped that on (swapped over the ROM chip) and that’s when the resetting started. Prior it had shown lines all over and wouldn’t show anything game related, but I don’t recall it locking the game up.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

#2 11 months ago

You are using a plasma (old style dot matrix with a big sheet of glass) display, not anything new like a PinDMD?

If the glass display is locking up the game, you'll need to replace the glass display. It's rare, but the chips on these can short out.

It's so rare, that I've never seen the DMD controller board damaged by a bad DMD. I suspect that the board you swapped and your Rottendog DMD controller are both good. Once you get a new glass DMD display they'll both probably work.

Let us know what you find!

#3 11 months ago

I'd suspect Power Supply issues as those can notoriously impact DE games

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

If you suspect power supply problems (odd that the game works without the load of the DMD and fails when the DMD is using just a bit more power, but possible!), on the power supply board, check the wiki here:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Power_Supply_Issues

I've changed a lot of C2 (100Uf 25v radial electrolytic capacitor) on these power supply boards.

(EDIT: Now that I've read PinballManiac40's post below, I'm with him. Change all the small caps on Data East power supplies this age. Just do it.)

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinRetail:

You are using a plasma (old style dot matrix with a big sheet of glass) display, not anything new like a PinDMD?
    If the glass display is locking up the game, you'll need to replace the glass display. It's rare, but the chips on these can short out.
    It's so rare, that I've never seen the DMD controller board damaged by a bad DMD. I suspect that the board you swapped and your Rottendog DMD controller are both good. Once you get a new glass DMD display they'll both probably work.
    Let us know what you find!

I’d had a feeling, but the customer wanted me to try the cheaper route first rather than replacing the whole display.

I’ll get a ColorDMD ordered here and I’ll keep the thread updated, thanks!

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I hooked a DMM onto the 5V test point of the game and the second I plug that DMD in the voltage goes from ~5.0 down to ~.05V so the display is killing the 5V somehow,

Sounds like you are plugging this DMD in while power is on. You are asking for more trouble doing this. Power off the game plugging and unplugging things.

I agree that it sounds like a power supply issue on the 5volts. All the small capacitors should be replaced and look for signs of any electrolyte that leaked out and damaged the board so it would need to be cleaned up just like battery corrosion.

#7 11 months ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

I’ll give the power supply a good once over as well. I’ll be glad to have it back at the shop where I can really go at it.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like you are plugging this DMD in while power is on. You are asking for more trouble doing this.

I indeed did this, but only to watch the voltage change in real-time. I definitely don’t make a habit of it, but I do thank you for the reminder not to do more harm than good.

#9 11 months ago

Some cases, you can see evidence of a capacitor leaking, as it will look wet on the board surrounding the part. Other times, you need to remove it to see if it has leaked. As these boards age, it will not be limited to just C2, as I found on many boards. C7 also is for 5 volts and I see it leak now just as much as C2. The 12V 1000uf cap also leaked on some boards I worked on. This is why I say to replace all the smaller capacitors.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Data_East/Sega#Missing_5VDC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.