• Latest reply 3 years ago by mad_carl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16A484FA-BB88-41DC-A3EC-234548DA5AB4.jpeg
C25942F5-3B2B-4C13-8415-40BEE4BDBAAD.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_carl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So I’m working through a basket case of a Phantom of the Opera and I’m down to 2 things; sound/music isn’t working right and I have no high voltage to my flippers.

Did a complete flipper rebuilt, all new everything including new (090-5020-30) coils with pre-installed diodes. Everything moves free and smoothly when moved manually.

The flippers work in switch test and in game but flip but very slow and weak.

The LEDs on the flipper board do not lite when the flipper cabinet switches are pressed.

Measured voltage coming from PPB and get 74.5v. Fuses are good.

Voltage at the coil when cabinet switches bare pressed is ~9v then drops to around 6

Some other work done:

-Installed Rebuilt MPU (replaced corroded one)
-Recapped and changed fuse holders on the PSU, checked fuse values, Reflowed headers
-changed our tip36c and 220ohm resistor Reflowed heads and change fuse clips where necessary.

-Reflowed header pins on flipper board and just changed out the tip36c, tip32c and both transistor at SR1&SR2 with MCR12NG with new thermal paste. No change.

-piggybacked a couple of CD4093BE on both ICs. No change.

I may be overthinking this....Any input on this would be much appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

Monkey’d around with the cabinet wiring. Nothing.

Tossed in my rottendog flipper board from another game and they’re flipping fine!

Safe to say it’s the board itself

#4 3 years ago

Yeah that’d be easier but I took the easy route on other parts of this game and threw money at it to avoid the board headaches.

I wouldn’t mind getting this board going again if possible

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Fuses on the flipper board are good? How about the fuse clips?

fuses check out and any flakey clips have been replaced.

#8 3 years ago

Also cabinet switches are good. I adjusted the leaf to the micro switch and have also put in new push buttons/springs.

Also to note. It seems like the voltage that I do get is intermittent. One time the left flipper will lift no problem (low power) and the right will struggle. Holds if I lift it.

This was reversed earlier. I poked around at various spots on n the board and have found the 74.6v is present. 5v(4.89) as well.

But the LED indicators will not lite at all when the switch is pressed. I might just go ahead and socket and replace both ICs. Seems like it’s not getting any signal to throw the high voltage at the coils.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which ICs are associated with the flippers?

There are two 4093B on the flipper board itself.

#17 3 years ago

Yeah no EOS on this game. Which threw me off along with the micro switches for the flipper buttons. First game I’ve owned with this setup.

And I’ll grab some pictures of the board in a bit

#18 3 years ago

Front of the board doesn’t look like it took any damage from falling playfields. This doesn’t have rails anyway.

Some pads lifted so the back isn’t as pretty as it was from factory

I buzzed pretty much everything and doubled checked my work on whatever I replaced.

16A484FA-BB88-41DC-A3EC-234548DA5AB4.jpeg16A484FA-BB88-41DC-A3EC-234548DA5AB4.jpegC25942F5-3B2B-4C13-8415-40BEE4BDBAAD.jpegC25942F5-3B2B-4C13-8415-40BEE4BDBAAD.jpeg
#19 3 years ago

Well I went ahead and replaced the 3904 and 3906 transistors and socketed and replaced the 4093 IC and managed to get the left flipper flipping hard again. The left one has no life.

The MPSA42 I ordered didn’t come with my parcel as they’re back ordered until July (I didn’t notice that when I made the order) so I contacted digikey support and they’re sending out an equivalent when they’re shipping department opens again... on Monday

So I guess that’s something.

#20 3 years ago

Update: I’m flipping’ again!

My left flipper being completely dead was due to me putting a new transistor (3904 @Q5) in the wrong direction.

Moral of the story, if you’re not getting high power to the flippers and the board LEDs don’t light when the cabinet switches are pressed try replacing the following.

Transistors 3904 & 3906 and ICs 4093B

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from luch:

nice . should I send out the apron now ! Mike

Haha sure Mike, I’ll email you some money here in a bit.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Thank you !!! Where can the IC 2049 be bought at?

This is the IC I used

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/CD4093BE/67329

I can’t say that this will 100% fix your problem as I kind of just shotgunned it as there isn’t that much going on on that board. I mainly focused on where +5v and where the flipper switches come in and return on CN1.

I knew replacing all the TIP transistors was probably not going to fix things but I did it anyway. It was maybe $25-30 for everything, that’s including the diodes and some resistors

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mad_carl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-flipper-board-520-5033-00?tu=mad_carl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.