Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello All! This is my first post here at Pinside. I recently inherited a DE BTTF machine. I used it a lot when I was a kid but it has been neglected for the last 10 years since moving out of my parents house. When I had it delivered to my house, I turned it on to see what shape it was in. The first thing i notices was some bulbs needed replacing...no biggie. When trying to start a game, I noticed the ball would not kick out to the plunger. I decided to pull the glass and test some of the other solenoids, all dead. After some browsing on Pinside, it seemed the first logical step was to check the fuses. Since the machine is 27 years old, I decided to order a kit to replace all the fuses. After replacing, I verified with my MM that the F5 and F6 fuses on the PSB were blown (according to manual, they were the Solenoid Buss fuses). I gave everything a once over before powering back on to test the solenoids and all seemed OK. I powered the machine back up and heard some solenoids fire to reset their position. Sweet! But i celebrated too early, seconds after firing up, I smelled something burning in the backbox, which was closed at the time. I quickly shut everything down and unplugged. After opening the backbox back up, nothing appeared burned out. I double checked the F5 and F6 fuses, but they were still in tact. The next thing I checked was the resistance across all the solenoids, but they all showed normal (haven't checked the diodes yet). My question to the community is, how should I approach troubleshooting this? Do I risk turning the machine back on and let it smoke but have the back box open so i can see whats burning or will that possibly do more harm then good?

Sorry for the short novel...thanks in advance!

#2 6 years ago

Start here:
Read entire section : 2. Before Turning the Game On:
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/desega/index1.htm

Disconnect the coil drives by pulling the solenoid fuses before powering up the game again to run further diagnostics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-back-to-the-future-solenoid-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.