(Topic ID: 125966)

DE Alpha-numeric Display issues, Replace or fix?

By Yoko2una

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Yoko2una
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

So my son is playing my DE Simpsons the other night and all of a sudden there's a small pop sound and the alpha-numeric display goes dark. I turned off the game for a bit and unplugged it. On reboot, it seems as everything is working except the display. I played a few games to verify while my son cries thinking he broke the machine.

Because I can't go into any sort of diagnostic mode w/ no display, I tried to locate any blown fuses, but didn't see any. I was already considering a new X-Pin display because my bottom right character (last digit of Player 4's score) already had a broken connection pin, so if it's the display that's the cause, I'm all for replacing it.

I have a multimeter, so I'm wondering if there's something I can check coming into the display board to prove it's the display that's dead (and justify the new X-Pin display) or something on one of the other boards that's the root cause (which then will be the first fix, and then depending on cost will determine the X-Pin purchase after the fact).

Any help would be appreciated. I tried searching the forum with what I thought were relevant keywords but couldn't find another thread with the same problem.

#2 8 years ago

With that 'pop' I would first check the +/- high voltage supply that is feeding the display first. May have blown a transistor or driver on the P/S and you would still have a problem if you swapped in a new display.

#3 8 years ago

Popping can be a capacitor exploding. Pull the master display board and the power supply and give a good visual check for problems. See if any capacitors looks bulged or split open.

Do you have a way to test the MPU? Would hate to have you get a new Xpin display and turns out the MPU has an issue (MPU is probably fine though).

#4 8 years ago

Thanks @Pat and @barak. My biggest fear was that the problem lies somewhere before the display and getting a new display would be like getting new tires for a car with a blown engine.

I'll give everything another visual check tonight and see if I catch anything.

Quoted from barakandl:

Do you have a way to test the MPU?

Other than a multimeter, I have no other tools for diagnostics here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-alpha-numeric-display-issues-replace-or-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.