• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jet_rider
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Morning all,
I was enjoying a game this morning and the pin reset.
No power change evident, system went through start up checks, pushed start button and the game started from zero.
Have played a few dozen games since then and the same reset occurs intermittently.
Ball is not consistently in any position, score varies.
Have successfully played 3 of the 12 games end to end including full multiball.

I have owned the machine for about 9 months now and have done a bit of minor work listed below.
Coil no errors.
Switch no errors.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have found no broken wires, solder connections, or fuses. (Open to rechecking anything/everything)

Name of game, manufacturer and year: 35th Anniversary Playboy, Data East, 1990

Did it ever work in your Possession?: yes

Did You Run the Diagnostics?: yes

Where did the game come from?: private seller

Have needed MODS been done?: Don't know

Are any aftermarket boards installed?: Sound board

What was the last service you performed?: rebuild flippers, soldered broken wire to VUK(6 months ago)

Battery Corrosion: not evident, NVRam installed

LED or Incandescent lighting?: LED

Blown fuses: none that I found

Smell: no

Obvious Past Work Performed: knocker installed, sound board added, NVRam installed, all prior to purchase.

Do you have a Volt Meter?: yes, limited background

Can you solder?: yes, (recently acquired a decent iron), total noob.

Pictures (Attached, additional photos on request)

Proper Title for Help (DE 35th Anv Playboy Random Reset)

#2 3 years ago

Check your 12 volts and see if it is consistent to the MPU. They might be causing your resets

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

Check your 12 volts and see if it is consistent to the MPU. They might be causing your resets

5 volts

#4 3 years ago

If you are only getting 5 volts at 12, then you might have to rebuild your power supply. That’s why it’s resetting... not enough juice to power board consistently. Sometimes a recap might be all that’s needed.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from metalkatt:

If you are only getting 5 volts at 12, then you might have to rebuild your power supply. That’s why it’s resetting... not enough juice to power board consistently. Sometimes a recap might be all that’s needed.

The MPU uses 5 volts, not 12 volts. I know as I bench test them with an ATX power supply.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The MPU uses 5 volts, not 12 volts. I know as I bench test them with an ATX power supply.

Sorry, I’m thinking arcade machines. Yes, 5 volts.... are you getting consistent 5 volts?

#7 3 years ago

Thank you both, I will find a good tutorial on checking these settings.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jet_rider:

Thank you both, I will find a good tutorial on checking these settings.

Very easy, top left of Mpu is two loops. One is marked ground, other marked 5v.

Clip a meter to them and run it out to playfield glass and play a few games. In an ideal world will not drop below 4.9 volts.

Check the 12 pin connector on power board, top right of board. I have seen dirty connections here cause reboots. Often it is burned. To test. you can take a small pick and bend in female connection barrels to tighten up and see if problem goes away. If that is the issue Great Plains sells replacement parts and Big Daddy usually sells kits.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for the advice gdonovan!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/de-35th-anv-playboy-random-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.