Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Craigslist 134.JPG
Craigslist 128.JPG
Craigslist 077.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RampShot11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hi Guys, I have no sound out of the backbox speaker channel of my Judge Dredd. Both channels were working fine and then one day I started getting loud popping and crackling out of the backbox panel speakers. I also noticed that the heatsink for the amplifier for that channel gets super hot after a minute of being on while the sub woofer channel stays pretty cool for as long as I play. I replaced the C20 Cap associated with that channel and the other cap at C32. Also replaced the amplifier transistor , nothing helped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Have you checked the resistance of the back box speakers to see if perhaps one has shorted out?

Yes, and I actually changed out the 5.25 speaker because it was aftermarket. I still had the original and put it back in with no luck.

#4 8 years ago

These are the components I've swapped out so far. Should I have also changed the counter parts for the cabinet channel even though it is working fine? I'm afraid I'll make it worse if I do that but will do it if suggested by someone with experience.

Craigslist 077.JPGCraigslist 077.JPG Craigslist 128.JPGCraigslist 128.JPG Craigslist 134.JPGCraigslist 134.JPG
#5 8 years ago

Anyone?? Should I change both the caps and both 1u63v caps also? If the heat sink is getting super hot, does that mean it is getting too much voltage? Could it be a resistor?

#6 8 years ago

It's lonely in here.....echo, echo, echo, echo

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Check for correct power first. Check for correct fuse values and that they are good. Yes replace both caps. They are old and need it anyways plus their cheap. Check continuity from caps to traces. Common for them to break.

Thank You Hawk. Do I check continuity with ohms reading? On a multi-meter?

#10 8 years ago

You mean check the power coming from the Amp? at U28?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

no, check the incoming power to the sound board itself

Ok got it. I'll be home soon and then I can check. Thanks.

#13 8 years ago

If worse came to worse, could I run all three speakers off of the one amplifier? Or will that do major damage?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

No I would not do that. Fixing the sound board issue is the only way I'm afraid.
good luck!

Do I test it with the machine on?

#18 8 years ago

I tested both channels with the game on , I get a very high reading from the bad channel and very low stable reading from the channel that is working correctly. Not sure what this means, hopefully one of the very helpful pinsiders can shed some light.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Check the transistor on the channel that is bad, it is also what could be causing your heat sink to be getting hot. I had this problem with my IJ, eventually you will see the dreaded sound board error, and the game won't boot.

I replaced it once already but I'm thinking I might have pulled a couple through holes out with the old transistor amp. Maybe I'll try replacing it one more time and fill in the holes with solder. Drill a tiny hole through the solder.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Yeah, that's why I don't do my own board repairs. Too nerve wracking.
Do you have another board you can swap in? you could test voltages on that one and compare to the wonky board, could help point you in the right direction for a solution.
Good luck.

Yeah I hear you, I think I got too big for my bridges. Unfortunately I don't have another dcs board but a friend of mine does so I'll try his soon. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know what I came up with.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Typically with these boards I check the main amps. If it's shorted change it. If it's getting super hot sounds like it shorted again. I have seen them blow up by themselves or by exposed wiring going to the speaker/DMD panel, or a shorted speaker. When it's a shorted speaker it tends to blow out a resistor near the amp. Check those. If the main amp is good and it's not overheating and still no sound next thing I check is the 084 pre-amp chips.

Ok thank you very much for that info. I was thinking it might have something to do with a resistor because wouldn't that be why is getting so hot? It's getting too much voltage or power. Problem is Im not too sure how to test things on circuit boards.

#27 8 years ago

I see. Thanks guys. I will be home tomorrow and test it. Power should be on right?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

You can test the amps with the power off and the board out of the game. Simply check every pin to every other pin. I think every bad amp I have ever replaced has had a dead short between 2 of the 5 pins.

Ok thanks for the tip. Very helpful Info.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RampShot11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dcs-sound-board-help?tu=RampShot11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.