Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

workbench 2018-05 (resized).jpg
    s-ssssl1600 (resized).jpg
    sssss-l1600 (resized).jpg
    71g8pzne1IL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hey everyone,

So, I am starting to expand my toolset - I have all the mechanical, hand, and basic electric tools for pinball repair work, but now I'm getting into more board work and motor/electrical testing.

I want to bring home a benchtop DC power supply similar to this:

71g8pzne1IL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg71g8pzne1IL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

My big question: should I go with max test current of 5A or 10A? Best I recall, currents in our machines (90s DMD and up) does not exceed 5A at any one time; however, I am still pretty new in this area.

So, 5A or 10A supply?

There are a lot of options out there - anyone have any preferences/suggestions based on ownership experience?

Thanks!

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It depends what you might want to power off it. The incoming 120v current doesn't exceed 4/8a on machines, but stuff like the gi can pull 10-15a (at a lower voltage). If you're just going to be powering boards on a bench, then 5a is more than enough. Even 2a would probably work. Although note that boards usually require more than one voltage to work. The adjustable supplies are cool but I found it more useful to just have a box with set 5/12/-12v outputs

It's going to act as a tool for determining the functionality of motors (think the JM cyberglove assembly on a test workbench) after they've been serviced but before they do back into machines. Things like that, or if I need a DC source to determine if something is good or burnt out (instead of using a car battery).

Haven't advanced to using it for PCB testing just yet, at least, not for big ones like the power driver board in WPCs...!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'd pick a different supply, if only to get one with a handle. 5A would be plenty to run a motor or test most components (individually) in a pinball machine. If you can get 10A, obviously, that's better, though.
    One big problem with many of these cheap supplies is spikes when changing between voltage ranges and on/off. A motor or lights would survive this, but often an IC wouldn't. If there isn't a regulator in front of the IC, a voltage spike could very easily kill a part.

What unit would you recommend for ICs?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I can't really recommend one that I would consider good that would also be anywhere close to the price range you're looking at. A better choice that is not much more expensive is this variable linear supply:
    amazon.com link »
    It is still possible that the one I linked to could generate spikes, though. A workaround is to disconnect the circuit under test before turning off or adjusting voltage on the supply.

My original post was simply pictorial, not to imply that I would cheap out on a tool like this

Funny enough, the one you linked was the one I was leaning towards...!

This was what I remember using back in school, but figured it was probably way beyond what I need for basic motor testing and confirmation of working parts:

https://www.amazon.com/Volteq-Regulated-Variable-Switching-Protection/dp/B00PXJHYIO/ref=mp_s_a_1_170

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've just been using a 5v/12v power supply for bench testing.
    Then, I connected wires from the screws to a 4-pin molex connector. Then I make pigtail connectors to go from that molex connector to whatever connector is needed on the board I'm testing. It helps make powering up a board easier in that I don't have to take the time to look up where to connect power--just plug it in and go.

I see. You're using something like this as a power supply, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C5E8W3K

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You probably have 10 dead computer towers in the closet that have working regulated power supplies in them.
    You can make your own adapter cable, or get a pro-looking breakout board for $7
    Although I have a bunch of giant benchtop supplies, this is all I ever use to repair pinball boards[quoted image][quoted image]

I am SO...buying one of those. That is so resourceful!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NPO.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dc-benchtop-power-supply?tu=NPO and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.