(Topic ID: 108189)

Dayhuff's - the BIGGEST house party around!!

By pmWolf

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by trudert9
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6081.JPG
    IMG_20141101_201417_939.jpg
    IMAG5462.jpg
    IMAG5463.jpg
    IMAG5479.jpg
    P1060056.JPG
    P1060064.JPG
    IMG_6088.JPG
    P1060054.JPG
    P1060037-221.JPG
    IMG_6104-990.JPG
    IMG_6082-599.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Holy smokes, just getting in from Dayhuff's insane party.

I'm beat...but I'm throwing some pictures up here before I drag myself into bed.

Wow, what a great time. John and Suann throw the absolute best parties around. Heck, there were about 175 people that showed up during his 12 hour bash.

Thanks to all...it was awesome!!

IMG_6082-599.JPG IMG_6104-990.JPG P1060037-221.JPG P1060054.JPG P1060056.JPG P1060064.JPG IMG_6088.JPG
    #2 5 years ago

We had a blast again this year. Good seeing everyone and meeting new people. The Zen tournament was great as usual, and of course we got to play some great rare machines. Thanks to John and SuAnn for an amazing party.

#3 5 years ago

Last year was my first year in attendance, and this looks even better than last year (if that's even possible), with everyone all dressed up for Halloween. I'm terribly disappointed to not have been able to make it this year. Even though I wasn't there, I'd still like to thank John and SuAnn for hosting this wonderful party each year.

#4 5 years ago

Great party! Thanks John for opening your house and collection up to everyone like this.

I even won the Zen Tournament this year! (with help from Chris of course).

I also picked up a pin while I was there and want to thank Chris (Zampinator) and Todd (tamoore) for helping me haul it down to my basement after midnight when we got back!

#5 5 years ago

How does one get invited to this thing?

#6 5 years ago

This was my first time there and it was well worth the almost 4 hour drive. Thanks to John and SuAnn for their incredible generosity and hospitality. Also, thanks to Pete for running the zen tournament. I had a great time and hopefully will be able to make it again next year.

Nick

#7 5 years ago

That's a bada$$ collection!

#8 5 years ago

1st pic: Got caught waiting my turn to play KINGKONG with TMoore and AstroPin. Fun fun fun times and many thanks to all involved in putting the party on.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mish:

How does one get invited to this thing?

Open invite.....just need to RSVP to John that you're coming.

#10 5 years ago

Had a blast myself attending another one of John & SuAnn's fantastic parties. Ballykid and a friend of mine from work who likes to play pins also came along. Met up with Astropin, tamoore and some of the VFW Pinball gang as well.

Have to say, the Black Hole there with the Boston Pinball LED displays really makes the machine pop. Also was able to make it to the winning pin on John's newly acquired Bally Skill Roll to light the star. Not with the highest score though.

IMAG5479.jpg IMAG5463.jpg IMAG5462.jpg
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

1st pic: Got caught waiting my turn to play KINGKONG with TMoore and AstroPin. Fun fun fun times and many thanks to all involved in putting the party on.

I thought that was you three in that pic!

Couldn't make it this year, maybe next.

#12 5 years ago

wow, that looks like it was an awesome party, that game room is just incredible, I don't think I could afford the electric bill,

#13 5 years ago

Thanks John and Suann! Really nice of you to open up your home again.
    Played lots of pinball and had a great time. Appreciate the chance to play so many great games.
    Baracorra rules! First time I played that.

#14 5 years ago

Always a GREAT time at John and Suann's house for 12 hours of pinball, food and spirits.... When I arrived the cars were lined up and down the street, and I knew there were going to be a lot of people there, but 175... That's awesome.... I know it takes John months of work for this party, so A BIG THANK YOU, for opening up your house for us pinballers to enjoy.

Steve

IMG_20141101_201417_939.jpg

#15 5 years ago

MI seems like an awesome place for pinball. TX sucks.

#16 5 years ago

As usual it was a great evening. Thanks to John and Suann and all the others that made this a great evening. It was good to catch up with friends, play pinball and just have a good time.

#17 5 years ago

We'll what can I say really? This one was for the record books for sure, 175 people come through in 12 hours.......crazy !! I just want to say thanks to all of those that brought food and snacks for everyone to share as we are a hungry crowd for sure. And as always I could never do this all on my own so here's where the mushy thanks come in.

Pete and Julie Mathis- If there was ever anyone that knows how to run a Zen tournament it's Pete. He keeps it all organized and running smooth like a Swiss watch so that I don't have too. I really sometimes think this is one of the main reasons why people come to the party is to try there one hand at the Zen tournament because of the way he keeps it going...I know he runs around crazy looking for people that are up next on the game but he always manages to pull it off without a problem. Also want to say thanks for updating the WOZ to the 4.0 version.
    Julie helps out upstairs and with the food prep and anything else in the kitchen area that needs to be done, plus she looked awesome in her Tron girl outfit. What more can I say then you both ROCK !!

Sara and Matt- What a huge help they were this year in keeping with the entire Halloween theme. Matt carved up the that giant pumpkin that was in the yard that said "Welcome Pinballers" and it looked really spooky all lit up after dark. He also made up the reserve parking sign for the senior citizens so they could park right up to the front door. Sara helped a lot with the kitchen stuff and more food prep....Plus they both were in costume, which added to the fun. I thank you both for everything and I'm really glad your back in Michigan to stay.

Jeff Rumsey- My T-shirt designer guru. Jeff went all out again this year with the design as I basically give him free rain to do whatever he wants with maybe just a few tweaks here and there by myself but its pretty much all him. I can't thank him enough for all the hours and hours he must put into this shirt design. We even had a last minute change and I mean a LAST minute change in the art and Jeff was right on top of it and pulled a rabbit out of his hat in the final hour. THANK YOU JEFF !!

Mick Gruelurks- I don't know why but for some reason Mick brings like two butts of pulled pork each year for everyone to eat on. He's just a awesome guy that never ask for anything in return and for that I thank him for doing what he does and for being so humble about it.

Marcus Anderson- Has been my video guy that takes the video that you see on You Tube each year and really does some fine camera work. I loved how he shows the Skill Roll in play, which BTW got 816 plays on it during the party (incredible). Thanks as always Marcus.

Sir Scott- As mentioned above there was some last minute art changes to the shirts, Sir Scott was the one that caught the mistake and brought it to my attention just before it was to go to the printers. Thanks Scott for asking the question when you did, which now makes you the official proof reader for the party.....LOL.

Glen (Vespa King) Brazier-who made a contribution to the party in a way I cant explain but I just wanted to say thanks to him....., he'll know what I'm talking about.

Matt Burkhart-or should I say "Johnny on the spot"? Wouldn't you know it, the one game that had to go down just minutes before the tournament was supposed to start was Champion Pub...UGH!! The right flipper bushing broke in like three pieces. Matt and I jumped in together and got that flipper assembly torn apart and fixed in pit stop record time...., but it was pretty intense there for a few minutes. Thanks Matt for the help and the second set of hands. I can always count on Matt to just "show up" at the party and thank God he did so again this year to keep the soon to be tournament game alive and up and running again.

Dave Walters- You know your doing something right when even the Mayor of Battle Creek shows up at the party.....very cool and thanks for coming.

Joe Kace- He is my trophy guy and this year he knocked it out ( no pun intended ) with the Champion Pub wall plaques for the two first place winners. Those were very cool and next year will be even cooler I'm sure as Joe is the man. Check out his website at Laseriffic.com

SuAnn- My wonderful wife who puts up with all of this each year like the trooper that she is. There is so much behind the scenes stuff that has to happen in order to make sure this party runs like it does and she is the backbone of it all. I can't imagine trying to do this without her. I love her so much and still ask myself each year what makes her want to do it too and I'm really not sure but I know she enjoys the people and having fun too so when you see her at a show or at next years party don't be afraid to say hi and just tell her thanks too. It seems like I get a lot of the credit for the party but without her I don't see the party's going onward as she is the one that deserves more credit then I do.

I guess that's about it and if I missed anyone then I apologize but you know who you are. Thanks again everyone for the great food, fun and laughs.........you make it all worth while with your kind remarks and for that we are on again for next years party so let the planning begin.......

Thank you,

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi
    269-979-3836

Post edited by moderator: Laseriffic edit.

#18 5 years ago

Whoops I made the mistake again this year. Its Laseriffic.com
    Sorry Joe!!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

Post edited by moderator: I got it for you. No worries.

#19 5 years ago

I need epic people like you guys around me

#20 5 years ago

Sorry I had to miss this year, had to go wedding dress shopping in Chicago not nearly as fun and no not my wedding.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

I need epic people like you guys around me

There needs to be a word above "epic" for dudes like Dayhuff.

#22 5 years ago

This was my first year and I was blown away. I had no idea how big this party was. Even with the 12 hour drive, I don't think it is my last Next time I will plan better and be able to stay until the end.

I played a lot of titles; some I've wanted to check out for a while, some I want to buy some day, and some I never knew even existed. The collection was just amazing. While it is cool to play the unobtainable titles like King Kong, Big Bang Bar, and Hercules, it was great to check out titles I can get locally too. He had a great Gottlieb section and a lot of older Bally and Williams titles.

I met some cool people too, including this OP. I am glad to point out that he had no idea who I was. So while I am not well known here, at least I am not on the Moderator's radar

John was a great host. I struggle to keep 6 working titles in my basement. I marveled at his willingness to play host to so many and present such a great collection.

#23 5 years ago

This was my second year of going to this Shin Dig! I brought my wife and son along this time and we had a great time! 15 hour drive and 900 miles (all roundtrip) and worth every bit of it!
    Thanks to SuAnn and John for hosting this party. The meatballs are fabulous!
    Thanks to Pete and Julie for all of the behind the scenes support!
    The T-shirts are great and I even got 2nd place in the Zen Tournament with my partner Nick. Thanks Nick! Had an awesome weekend with my family! Thanks John.

#24 5 years ago

What an amazing party. I'm so glad I got to go. Thanks John and SuAnn. It's just awesome to be in this hobby and to meet the great people in it that make it awesome. Thanks to everyone that has a hand in making this party happen. I'll be back next year for sure and hope to meet even more pinheads.

#25 5 years ago

wish that we could have stayed to play in the "zen" tourney, but I had a fantastic time. john and suann were wonderful hosts and had a great collection for all to enjoy.

definitely more than a few machines in their collection that you won't see "in the wild" (or for that matter, in many other people's collections [big bang bar, king kong])

a huge thanks to john and suann for hosting and opening your doors to the rest of us

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Also was able to make it to the winning pin on John's newly acquired Bally Skill Roll to light the star. Not with the highest score though.

That skill roll was Crazy addictive!!

I played that game way more than I should have. It was evil...

Here's my 400 point game. Absolutely NOT skill-based. Totally luck for me...

Pete

IMG_6081.JPG
    #27 5 years ago

This is the one party that happens every year that makes me want to save up for airfare. Seriously... wish you were closer.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

I even got 2nd place in the Zen Tournament with my partner Nick. Thanks Nick!

Not too bad for neither of us having played that game much before!

Nick

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 64.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside