(Topic ID: 225109)

Dayhuff's 16th Annual Pinball Party Invite...Please RSVP.

By Dayhuff

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dayhuff
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Group shot (resized).JPG
    IMG_0126 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0123 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0124 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0122 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0128 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20181104_015244_572 (resized).jpg
    53BAB065-BBDE-49B2-B45A-2BB71F7CB18E (resized).jpeg
    3A9B7E11-7F92-40DC-BF02-CC28DACC5003 (resized).jpeg
    B1B9BB15-3D21-47DE-BAB0-15061F4522EA (resized).jpeg
    A560BB87-A49C-4221-A9FC-5F61664742AB (resized).jpeg
    20181103_121453 (resized).jpg
    20181103_121438 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0086 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0082 (resized).JPG
    dayhuffFRONT-1 (resized).jpg
    There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

You guessed it, it's that time of year for the "Dayhuff's 12 Hours of Pinball Party" on November 3rd 2018 (it's always the first Saturday of November every year) from noon to midnight. This is an open invite to anyone on the group, plus anyone they might want to bring along with them that's into playing pinball. This is something that we started doing to try and get the local and some not so local pinheads together to play, talk and brag about pinball stuff for the day. This is a family friendly party so kids are welcome as always. Please make sure the kids know the rules though as they probably won't be reading this invite.

Each year this party has grown to such a huge amount of people coming through that it's hard to keep track of all the names and faces so name tags are provided at the door when you first arrive. They are located in the kitchen so please come through the front door or the garage when you first arrive to get yours since we all want to match up the name to your lovely face. Please be sure to find SuAnn and myself at some point, even if it's just to say hi.

There is no monetary admission fee for the party but if you could bring a dish or some type of treat to pass that would be great. Try to stay away from cookies or a bag of chips unless it goes with a specific dip you're bringing or we will end up with 40 bags of unopened chips at the end of the night. Something homemade is always a big hit, rice krispie treats, or anything else you can think of is always fine with us. We always have a few munchies out to get things started and SuAnn will make meatballs and her world famous sausage dip as always. I'm providing about 10 different kinds of pop, bottled water and some diet stuff too, but if you want anything else specific make sure to bring it... and as always I'll buy the pizza from Pizza Hut around 6-7 pm for everyone. Please remember when the pizza gets here (and you'll know when the siren goes off) that everyone would like some. Please RSVP me back personally at [email protected] or by phone if you're coming and how many people will be with you. That way we can better plan for the amount of people that will be attending. At last years party there were about 200 people that came through...some stayed all day and some for just a few hours..., it's up to you and NO, I don't need any help setting up the games the night before or even three hours before the party...so no sneaking in early. Thanks anyway, but noon does mean noon.

Each year we have been doing official T-shirts to commemorate the event and will be doing so again this year. We have a new artist this year and her name is Lora Carolyn Root and she has came up with a really cool design for the back of the shirt this year and it looks great. I will be posting artwork very soon so you can see what a great job Lora has done. So if you're wanting a shirt or even more than one please let me know ASAP since the cut off date to get it to the printers will be the 14th of October. I'll need to know how many shirts and what sizes. These shirts are made up ahead of time based on your request and can be picked up here the day of the party. I will NOT have extras the day of the party, if you don't preorder you won't be able to get one. Price is $20 regardless of size and I'm pretty sure I can get all the way up to 6x but I'll have to double check with the printer. Remember the cut off date for just the shirts is October 14th. You can still RSVP for the party after that date but the sooner I know you're coming the better, and if you can't make it after you've RSVP'd then please let me know that as well.

As always there will be a Zen tournament this year on a preselected pin that has been kept a secret for the last month or two and only a small handful of people know which pin it will be for obvious reasons.......
    There will be pinball related prizes for the winners that take 1st through 4th place, remember you can't win something unless you play in the tournament...which is a pretty fun time and a great way to meet fellow hobbyist. If anyone wants to donate some sort of pinball prize for the tournament winners feel free to do so and it will be greatly appreciated. And of course you don't have to get into the tournament if you don't want to but it is free. The way the Zen tournament works is great because it gives everyone a fair chance to win no matter how good (or if you're like me), how sucky you are at playing. My own mother took fourth place a few years ago and she never played before in her life........LOL. Pete Mathis will be around to collect your names for the tournament, please be sure to stick around until the ending if at all possible, other wise your partner will be scrambling to find someone to take your place or worse yet have to bow out of the tournament because you left before it was over with. The entire tournament takes around 3 hours from start to finish...give or take and usually starts up around 5-6 pm.

Each year the party is in the late fall for a few different reasons but the main one is that it's just to dang hot out in the summer and then comes Expo...and well, we're all just too busy doing other things plus it's soooo much cooler. Even though it's cooler outside it still tends to warm up on the inside what with the games, lights, people etc... so dress in something comfortable that will keep you cool when you're rubbing butts with someone you don't know. LOL.

Now for the RULES, and yes we must have a few basic rules (because lets face it, without rules...there's chaos) to avoid some past issues. First, please make sure you have a good time and play as many games as possible, you have less than nine minutes per game to hit them all in 12 hours. IF something breaks down ( yeah like it won't happen...LOL...) please let me know ASAP and this year I'll have sticky notes and pens so you can even leave a note on the glass letting me know what's going on with the game, and I'll try to get it fixed when it's not so crowded or while everyone is chowing down on pizza or sooner if possible. For instance if a ball is stuck in the game feel free to open the game and take care of it yourself, just PLEASE be careful with the glass and let people around you know what you're doing...we don't need thousands of pieces of glass all over the basement, especially during a party. Please no drinks or food on the games, under the games is fine or even balanced on your head if you're that talented or just leave your soda on a coaster upstairs as I'm sure nobody will mess with it. Ha ha. Please remember there are separate garbage cans for trash and empty soda bottles and cans. With close to 200 people coming through there is a lot of garbage to take care of. Remembering to throw your trash away and put the empty soda cans in the correct receptacles will be helpful and much appreciated. The bin for the empty soda cans and bottles will be located next to the cooler with the water and diet soda and the garbage cans will be in front of the microwave and the kitchen sink area. Please no smoking in the house. There is plenty of fresh air to pollute outside or in the smokers lounge (garage) which might have a game or two set up to play as well. Parking is available up and down the street but please don't block anyone's mail box or driveway. I've not had any neighbor issues with these partys yet so let's not start now. PLEASE DO NOT park on my lawn whatsoever, we just had a underground sprinkler system put in and top soil...etc. We'd like to see some actual grass growing come spring.

OK, with all that BORING stuff said ( and if you're still reading this and even still awake ) lets get on to more important stuff like the list of games that you're in for. Even though it's really not all that important to some, others like to know. This list is ever changing so don't hold me to it.

Revenge from Mars, Terminator 2, Secret Service, DE Batman, King Kong, DE Simpson's, DE Star Wars, Tales from the Crypt, Gun's and Roses, Batman Forever, Apollo 13, Monopoly, Simpson's Pinball Party, Elvis, Circus Voltaire, Champion Pub, Cactus Canyon, WHO Dunnit, Tales of the Arabian Nites, Big Bang Bar remake, Pinball Magic, Cueball Wizard, Spirit, Haunted House, Black Hole, Rocky, The Amazing Spiderman, James Bond, Charlie's Angels em. version, Canada Dry, Fast Draw, Central Park, Nags, Blackout, Barracora, Wizard of Oz, Blackwater 100, Special Force Girl's, Gilligans Island, Judge Dredd, Twilight Zone, Theatre of Magic, Shadow, No Good Golfers, Bram Stokers Dracula, Monster Bash, Williams Indiana Jones, Funhouse, The Getaway (HS II), Taxi, Big Guns, Banzai Run, Superman, Iron Maiden, Orbitor One, Bally's Rolling Stones, Kiss, Centaur, Fathom, Spectrum, Wizard, Nip-it, Four Million BC (new this year), Fireball Classic, Six Million Dollar Man, Bally's Playboy, Harlem Globetrotters, Mata Hari em. version as well as the Evel Knievel em. version, 1931 Baffle Ball, 1932 Bally Hoo, 1933 Worlds Fair Jigsaw and M. Redgraves 1871 + 1876 Parlor Bagatelle's, and of course the HERCULES, hey doesn't everyone have one of those in their basement? Plus other fun stuff like, Spy Hunter, 1968 Space Pilot, 1957 Ten Strike Bowler, two Rush the Rocks, 1938 slot machine, 1958 Skill Roll, jukebox and pop machine. If you're still curious how I managed to cram all that into my tiny basement you can go to U-tube and type my name in and see video's that Marcus Anderson and others have shot over the years, it's really cool to see how much the basement has changed over the last few years.

When you call or email with your RSVP, I'll give you my exact address if you don't already have it for GPS'ing. It's pretty simple though. Remember you MUST RSVP no matter what and if possible PLEASE use my direct email address which is [email protected] since it just makes my life easier.

I guess that's about it.. We hope to see many of you again this year, and hopefully many new faces this year as well.

Thanks

John and SuAnn Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#2 5 years ago

I think it’s very cool that you open up your house and do this every year. I hope I get to attend it one of these years, the pics of your game room look amazing!

#3 5 years ago

Definitely going this year. Missed the last few.

#4 5 years ago

Wow. Speechless. Wish I could come have fun everyone.

#5 5 years ago

Video of last year's party:

Info on the Zen Tournament:

Can't wait to see you there!

#6 5 years ago

I was fortunate enough to attend last year and can attest to how much fun this is!

Thanks again for opening up your home for all us crazy people to have a good time!

I hope my schedule works out again this year so I can come hangout again!

#7 5 years ago

Hope I can make it this year.

#8 5 years ago

Last year was a blast me and my partner took 2nd in the zen tourney. I probably won't make this year's since I'm throwing a tournament that day.next year I'll know it's the first Saturday in November and not schedule anything conflicting.

#9 5 years ago

Made it lat year. Crazy fun event. Can’t make it this year. I brought the mac n cheese so somebody gotta step it up and bring some of theirs this year.

#10 5 years ago

Whoever brought the cans of EZ-CHEEZE and crackers was a genius imo

#11 5 years ago

Wish I was closer!

#12 5 years ago

Wow what an unbelievable collection. King Kong too? Get the hell out of here. Nice!

#13 5 years ago

Awesome!
    Can't wait.
    Thanks John and SuAnn!

#14 5 years ago

RSVP sent. Thanks John.

#15 5 years ago

I'll be there for sure. RSVP will be coming soon.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

This is a family friendly party so kids are welcome as always.

I hope you're still doing these when my little guy is big enough to see over the lockdown bar! Can't justify one more Michigan pinball weekend to the wife, but if I can make it a family trip, hey, who knows?

#17 5 years ago

rvsp'ed this morning (sorry for getting the misses name incorrect

I'll probably bake a cheesecake or two this year to make up for that
    (turtle, caramel cinnamon apple, pumpkin? who knows)

#18 5 years ago

Thanks to John and SuAnn for hosting an awesome party! We were lucky to have attended last year and had a great time!

Unfortunately, one of our nieces is getting married on the 3rd, so we are out unless I am able to talk her out of it

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

one of our nieces is getting married on the 3rd.....

Oh, I'm sure she would understand........

#20 5 years ago

Freaking awesome. Wish I was in the area.

Dayhuff = legend.

#21 5 years ago

Just wanted to post the artwork for this years shirts. This is what the back will look like and there will be a smaller imprint on the front left chest area with totally different artwork which I'll post that very soon as well.

John

colorB (resized).jpgcolorB (resized).jpg
    #22 5 years ago

so based on the shirt design shoud we assume the zen game is..........

#23 5 years ago

If one of, if not the largest private collector in the country hosting this party for everyone to enjoy is not the single most generous thing in the pinball hobby, I'd like to know what is.

#24 5 years ago

Amen brother. Went in 2016 with my son, what great hosts. Two hour first road trip for my son in his Camaro that day. Even the pop machine had a cup of coins on it for a free drink. My son did pretty good in the Zen tourney. Thanks for throwing this super awesome party again John and SuAnn. I think i've just decided to come out again this year. Any pinball fan within driving distance should put this party on the bucket list.

#25 5 years ago

I made the Trek last year last minute and it was most definitely Awesome, wish i could say I was coming back for sure but would once again be a week of decision I guess. Either way I will never forget this place and if you are on the fence just go you will not regret it.

#26 5 years ago

RSVP'ing as we speak. Great fun GREAT people. cant wait.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If one of, if not the largest private collector in the country hosting this party for everyone to enjoy is not the single most generous thing in the pinball hobby, I'd like to know what is.

Also, John starts in the summer, months before the party, to check and fix machines. One person. Dozens of machines. Lots of work - kudos to Dayhuff!

#28 5 years ago

With a collection like that, I would imagine that John starts checking and fixing machines around the third week of November.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from marcand:

Also, John starts in the summer, months before the party, to check and fix machines. One person. Dozens of machines. Lots of work - kudos to Dayhuff!

We'll later summer anyways, by the end of August I'm already into the games and will be starting on week three come tomorrow. Five weeks minimum spent on just the games alone, and then there's everything else that has to happen during the three months prior of the party. Games, food, Tshirts, trophies, details details...., working seven days a week, death in the family...you just never know what life will deal you at any given moment.....but the show must go on since it's in our "continued contract"....LOL.

We do appreciate all of you and your nice comments and this is how we pay back to the pinball community so grab a friend and hit the road November 3rd because like I said, you just never know when things could change...

John

#30 5 years ago

Left chest logo for the front of the shirt.

John

dayhuffFRONT-1 (resized).jpgdayhuffFRONT-1 (resized).jpg
    #31 5 years ago

We definitely are looking forward to coming ! This day will be awesome

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

so based on the shirt design shoud we assume the zen game is..........

Looks like a Far Out to me.

#33 5 years ago

I just wanted to put my 2 cents in and say that if you have never been to this party, it is in some ways much better than a show. I think there are 88 games all super nice and working. Some very expensive games you would never see because no one in their right mind would pack up a super rare game and take it to a show to get abused.
    The hosts are great, I can smoke on the back porch, plenty o food. John puts sever months and several grand (I imagine in to this party).
    I always go when it starts before it gets crowded so I can play, then I talk when it gets to be butt to butt.
    Except for clays vfw museum, this is the best collection I have seen. gene had more games, but most didnt work, and he never had an open party.
    The t shirts are collectible, so if you want one you have to order them in advance. they are not for sale at the party.
    so there is my 2 cents.
    Its very generous of john and suzy to open their house to everyone including many people they dont know. I am not a party, or people person. (yep its the truth) but I never miss this party

#34 5 years ago

This is so nice of you to host an event like this!!!! I live about 3 hours away, but this party sounds well worth the drive. I will talk to the wife and see if she would be interested in coming with and I will hopefully RSVP soon.

#35 5 years ago

Please count me in plus 2 guest's. Should be fun.

Many thanks for the invite.

#36 5 years ago

Please send me private RSVP's to [email protected]
    Just saying your coming through Pinside doesn't count in the grand scheme of things.

John

1 week later
    #37 5 years ago

Just a reminder bump that time is quickly ticking down on the Tshirt cut off date of the 14th. Get me your orders ASAP not to mention your RSVP's.
    Thanks,
    John

#38 5 years ago

@dayhuff - thanks for another global invitation. Echoing what others have said it's incredibly generous to share your collection. I had a spectacular time at your party last year.

For those considering going, here's how last year went for me: Left home on Friday, Uber ride to BWI to catch Southwest to Detroit. Took an express bus from DTW to Ann Arbor. Picked up lunch at a sub shop along the ~1 mile walk from the transit center to the Amtrak station. Took Amtrak to Battle Creek where I met a salesman from Freedom Motors to pick up a handicapped-capable vehicle for a family member. Drove car back to Detroit and went to Marvins Marvelous Mechanical Museum. Picked up a buddy Saturday morning at DTW and headed to the party. Returned to a hotel adjacent to DTW for the night. At dawn Sunday dropped my friend at the airport and drove 13+ hours to North Carolina to deliver the car. Early Monday took the Amtrak to Alexandria, VA and then Uber completed the loop to home.

Who cares what I did? Well, let me say the party was unquestionably worth all that and more (well, it was also very rewarding to deliver that car to my parents). But the point is, if you're on the fence about it, GO!

Of course, if I can get there this year the logistics will be simpler...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#39 5 years ago

One week and a few hours left before the Tshirt cut off date on the 14th at midnight will be here already so get your order into me ASAP.
    O'yeah and don't forget to RSVP, we have plenty of space available but there wont be extra shirts to purchase during the party, only those lucky ones that ordered ahead of time will be the ones getting there shirts. Snooze you looze!!

Thanks
    John

#40 5 years ago

We are coming . Just sent in 2 t shirt order. Can't wait thx John.

#41 5 years ago

So cool of you to this John. Great Collection!

#42 5 years ago

Thanks Matt. RSVP's are coming in REALLY slow this year for some reason, I hope this is not the beginning of the end? Still plenty of space for more so please don't wait as it will be here before you know it.

John

#43 5 years ago

Super cool can't wait!!!

#44 5 years ago

I will be there, but am waiting for word from a couple of buddies before I officially RSVP.
    Definitely looking forward to this!

#45 5 years ago

I will be there. Can't wait. It has been a few years since I have been out to one of John's parties.

#46 5 years ago

Just RSVP'd for the party. Been there a couple of times before. Can't wait to see everyone again. If you're on the fence about maybe going, but maybe not..... This is a "Bucket List" Party. You will not be disappointed! See everyone there!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigB:

This is a "Bucket List" Party.

Thanks BigB. That's right folks get in on it while you can. Tshirt cut off is this Sunday at midnight and then off to the printer it goes. Lets get those RSVP's to me.

John

#48 5 years ago

Only eight more hours before the Tshirt orders have to be in, cut off is midnight tonight so get them to me now. Also if your waiting to just RSVP please do so soon so we have a better idea of head count this year. Remember you must RSVP if your coming and how many.
    Thanks
    John

#49 5 years ago

RSVP Sent! Looking forward to it as always.

Chris

#50 5 years ago

This is the Expo is over with so start slamming me with your RSVP's for this years party bump. It will be here before we know it so get them into me.
    Thanks
    John

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dayhuff-s-16th-annual-pinball-party-inviteplease-rsvp?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.