(Topic ID: 189882)

DaveH is a hypocrite!! AC/DC VE in da house!

By DaveH

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 180 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by newpinbin
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5976 (resized).JPG
IMG_4824 (resized).JPG
ACDC_VE_alt_sml (resized).jpg
IMG_3287 (resized).JPG
IMG_3278 (resized).JPG
IMG_3295 (resized).JPG
IMG_3288 (resized).JPG
c (resized).jpg
b (resized).jpg
a (resized).jpg
h (resized).jpg
IMG_4081 (resized).JPG
IMG_3974 (resized).JPG
IMG_3972 (resized).JPG
the-burger-king-shot-by-terry-richardson-2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3965 (resized).JPG
There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

I had said I was done with New In Box games. I haven't bought one since my Game Of Thrones. I was irritated with the quality issues, and I was still annoyed that it took 6 months to replace the playfield. It all left a bad taste in my mouth. I've said that I wouldn't buy again until the playfield, and the cabinet splitting issues were proven to be resolved.

I've also railed against the crazy price increases. It is nuts how much these things cost now.

Higher prices, lower quality... and then Stern announced a vault of AC/DC, and I cracked. All the resolve I had disappeared and I placed an order for one.

So now I'm going to document how this level of hypocrisy works out for me. Will I get a good copy of it? Will it have quality issues? Playfield? Cabinet? Decals? The next cost cutting issue? I'll put it all in this thread... including if it comes in perfect. And by perfect, I mean the usual stuff. A switch out of adjustment or even a bad board that needs to be replaced is minor stuff. But if there is a problem in the main structure or difficult to replace parts of the game, I will bitch like there is no tomorrow.

If I'm shining a flashlight on my hypocrisy, I'm also shining one on the current quality state of a NIB Stern game. You will see ever bit of the fit and finish of the game in this thread. Are their issues resolved? The game is ordered, so I will let you know.

Oh, and until I have the answer to how this works out, I'm not going to bitch anymore. I really did give up that right. I can't bitch about prices because I paid them. I'm part of the problem. We shall see how this works out.

#2 6 years ago

Pro or premium? What was the problem with your GoT playfield? It took me 5 months to get my (warped) MET Premium playfield replaced so I understand the frustration.

Rob

#3 6 years ago

Nice, I appreciate you admitting it right up front. A refreshing change from the usual "I never said that" nonsense from guys like our icy friend...

#4 6 years ago

Right behind you. Waiting to see premium.
-Mike

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Pro or premium?

I went Pro on this one. The Angus face is gone now, and although the lower playfield is fun for a bit, I'm not that wild about mini playfields anymore.

As for the problems of my GOT, I'll just leave it at Stern needed to replace the playfield, and they did. It took longer than I thought, and was a bit frustrating that I had to keep bugging them to move it along. But that's all the past now. On to AC/DC.

#6 6 years ago

Great thread, I will be following.

#7 6 years ago

You won't be disappointed and if there is a problem with the game I fully believe that Stern will stand behind it.

#8 6 years ago

Meh. We're all hypocrites in one way or another at various points in our lives.

But not all hypocrites end up with a brand new pin to play!

Hope it ends up being in perfect condition. Good luck...and congrats!

#9 6 years ago

I wonder how many more hypocrites there will be when Star Wars is announced...

#10 6 years ago

I'm still holding out until Stern gets their act together!

( or until there's a machine and theme that really appeals to me too! Good thing it wasn't Tron VE... )

#11 6 years ago

Congrats and I hope it all works out with the new AC/DC.

#12 6 years ago

I will personally enjoy the fruits of your hypocracy! (And, uhhhh, I'm keeping my eye on those premium listings myself...)

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm still holding out until Stern gets their act together!
( or until there's a machine and theme that really appeals to me too! Good thing it wasn't Tron VE... )

I do wonder if there were other games that would have made me flip flop like this. There were no games on my radar right now.

And seeing this will all be totally transparent, I may as well give deets.

I ordered through Cointaker. I'm sure other distributors would support their customers, but I know for a fact that Cointaker does. They gave great support last time, so I'd be crazy to use someone else after that.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Knoler:

I will personally enjoy the fruits of your hypocracy! (And, uhhhh, I'm keeping my eye on those premium listings myself...)

Thank goodness someone volunteered to help me haul this puppy out of the box when I get it

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Thank goodness someone volunteered to help me haul this puppy out of the box when I get it

New pin smell!!

I wish Schlitz was half as good as Blitz wax, because "I'll bring the Schlitz, you bring the Blitz" cracks me up.

#16 6 years ago

I have always held DaveH in the highest regard and I'm shocked in hearing this. I wish him a speedy recovery.

#17 6 years ago

I'm totally OK with your hypocrisy. I'm in on your thread because I want to hear all of the details of your new AC/DC. What you say could have a big influence on whether I would go for one myself.

#18 6 years ago

I forgive you Dave. But only if you can pm me, explaining in great detail, how to beat every song.

#19 6 years ago

Hey Dave, It is all good. I am surprised that you lasted this long. We lasted one release!

#20 6 years ago

Following thread. I'm not going to be getting a NIB Stern this year for sure (unless they release Deadpool), but I'm curious if they have addressed the issues.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

We shall see how this works out.

I hope it works out well for you. And you get a great game that you truly enjoy !

LTG : )

#22 6 years ago

for a while there i was getting worried that stern wouldnt survive the backlash created by raising prices in the middle of a QC crisis. thank god you changed your mind!!

#23 6 years ago

You're brave!

All of the poor quality issues have scared me into ever buying a NIB Stern again.

#24 6 years ago

I just ordered the Pinbits plastic protectors for it. I'm looking over a few other mods as well. I don't usually go nuts, just a couple tasteful ones.

I've gone back and forth on a playfield protector for it. On one hand, it would protect it, but on the other, this is really sort of a public airing of the current state of the issues Stern has had. I figured if I was going to be a hypocrite and drop the cash on this, others would be interested in seeing the real condition, any issues, and how it holds up. So I'm leaning towards the usual "give it a good wax and play the snot out of it" as far as the playfield goes.

#25 6 years ago

These "call out" threads never end well.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You won't be disappointed and if there is a problem with the game I fully believe that Stern will stand behind it.

I have proof that Stern does not, but if you pick a good distro hopefully they do stand behind the game, and DaveH is good to use Cointaker, though 5 months for a playfield replacement is still BS, but at least he got one

#27 6 years ago

Good idea Dave. The jury was out in relation to playfield protectors until I actually had one. I can't tell you why because I don't know. What I do know is I don't like them. Maybe the OCD in me but I keep my machines very clean. I was always thinking how much dirt dust rubber will get under them and then how difficult is it to remove. I don't like them. Just my opinion. I was worried when you said GoT issues. Just got one and touch wood, nothing bad to report as yet.

Great idea for the thread, nothing like a bit of humble pie to focus on what's really important. We rant and rave but in the end it's just a pinball machine. Very very nice pinball machines.

#28 6 years ago

YOU BASTARD!!! You were one of my favorite Pinside members, but that's it, I am done with you!! You were a "rock" for so many years, the voice of reason on so many threads, but today your Pinside legacy falls!! I thought we were part of something special.....A band of pinball brothers uniting to refrain from NIB Stern purchases for the greater good of pinball??? You weak little pinball whore!!

PS.....Can you let me know when it comes in so I can come check it out? Thinking about getting a premium.

#29 6 years ago

Here is hoping your ABDC clear coat is dimpled, ghosted and that the corner gaps and cracked plastics make you realize that life is short and pinball is fun. Thanks for keeping the stern doors open and enjoy the hell out of whatever you get!!

If there is a problem don't post it here.

Be a man and take care of your own issues without trying to rally a lynch mob. At least within the first month.

I hope the code is done??

Party on!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I hope the code is done??

It's F'n AC/DC, code will not be an issue

#31 6 years ago

Dave - I gotta disagree on the Pro, and here's why, the stationary targets!

Cannot hits what it's supposed to - then ball side drains.
It is the single most irritating thing about the PRO.
With a new code, hopefully they will program in a 2 second (adjustable) ball save....but until they do the Premium is way to go.

I also noticed the newton ball may be in the PRO...but the left escape lane is not...so what happens with stuck balls behind the newton ball?
I honestly do not know if this is even an issue...but it looks potentially problematic.

Still a great title overall - good for you.

#32 6 years ago

Congrats on the purchase but we all know someone at Stern is probably reading this thread and thinking...

66133929 (resized).jpg66133929 (resized).jpg

Lol

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I also noticed the newton ball may be in the PRO...but the left escape lane is not...so what happens with stuck balls behind the newton ball?

It's not like the bell in the premium. The shaft of the bell is a lot longer. And yeah, it looks a bit goofy. The ball on the bottom of the shaft is so low that the normal ball can't get under it. Then the ball on the shaft hits the stationary target. There is no saucer. It's kind of hard to explain, but the ball cant get to the place that escape hatch is for.

As for Pro v Prem, I did give that a lot of thought. I wanted the drops, and the lighting, but the lower playfield really doesn't do it for me. Plus (to be brutally honest), I've seen foggy ones, I've seen good ones, I've seen dirty ones, really the whole range. It just added risk and complexity I didn't want.

And you've played all my games. I've always gravitated towards the Pro models. I find them to be the best overall value in a game. When I did drop 8k on a game I didn't like having that much in only one game. So even though it's only a Pro, are you still going to come down here to put the GC on it?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I have proof that Stern does not, but if you pick a good distro hopefully they do stand behind the game, and DaveH is good to use Cointaker, though 5 months for a playfield replacement is still BS, but at least he got one

Where is your playfield clearcoat chipping at and what is sterns explanation for not replacing your playfield? Also do you have pics of the damage?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It's not like the bell in the premium. The shaft of the bell is a lot longer. And yeah, it looks a bit goofy. The ball on the bottom of the shaft is so low that the normal ball can't get under it. Then the ball on the shaft hits the stationary target. There is no saucer. It's kind of hard to explain, but the ball cant get to the place that escape hatch is for.
As for Pro v Prem, I did give that a lot of thought. I wanted the drops, and the lighting, but the lower playfield really doesn't do it for me. Plus (to be brutally honest), I've seen foggy ones, I've seen good ones, I've seen dirty ones, really the whole range. It just added risk and complexity I didn't want.
And you've played all my games. I've always gravitated towards the Pro models. I find them to be the best overall value in a game. When I did drop 8k on a game I didn't like having that much in only one game. So even though it's only a Pro, are you still going to come down here to put the GC on it?

I'm a broken record with AC/DC Pro, but it has lasted the longest in my collection. It's my favorite game ever.

Having said that, I added a lot of stuff to it that really makes it pop:

TimeBandit's color changing GI
Premium train
Mirror blades
Color DMD
Powdercoat
Hemi's swinging bell
Tons of other stuff

I miss the drop targets and swinging bell, but not the lower playfield. Good luck and post pictures!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm a broken record with AC/DC Pro, but it's latest the longest in my collection. It's my favorite game ever.
Having said that, I added a lot of stuff to it that really makes it pop:
TimeBandit's color changing GI
Premium train
Mirror blades
Color DMD
Powdercoat
Hemi's swinging bell
Tons of other stuff
I miss the drop targets and swinging bell, but not the lower playfield. Good luck and post pictures!

That looks awesome!

#37 6 years ago

Say one thing and do another. Hypocrite! But I applaud your effort and will follow this thread on its journey.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The lower playfield is actually a lot of fun to play in Hells Bells. The other songs, not so much.

Rob

#39 6 years ago

While you might be a hypocrite, Dave H, you have damn fine taste in NIB pins. Good luck with this purchase!

#40 6 years ago

DaveH is a nice guy but he's also a sick compulsive buying pinhead who we also call Jaws

He will drive up and down the east coast at 3 AM to be the first in line to snatch up a pin. Good luck with the latest ramp game acquisition Dave!

2 weeks later
#41 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Cannot hits what it's supposed to - then ball side drains.
It is the single most irritating thing about the PRO.
With a new code, hopefully they will program in a 2 second (adjustable) ball save....but until they do the Premium is way to go.

This happens on my premium A LOT too and it's supremely annoying. Cannon shoot -> left target bank -> right target bank -> left outlane.

Quoted from ejg10532626:

I honestly do not know if this is even an issue...but it looks potentially problematic.

The ball can't get behind the bell pendulum on the pro.

Rob

3 weeks later
#42 6 years ago

I talked to Cointaker this afternoon at Pintastic, and my game finally ships out on Monday!! Yay! So after a little hitch in this gittyup, things are moving again.

AC F'in DC. The plastic protectors have been sitting on the counter for about 5 weeks, so it will be awesome to finally put a game under them.

2 weeks later
#43 6 years ago

IMG_3786 (resized).JPGIMG_3786 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago

Oh boy, here we go!

#45 6 years ago

This is going to take a bit of time. I've been out of the country and just got back last night. When it showed up, the box had some forklift fork holes in it, and various scuffs and crush points (you can see a small one in the pic I posted), so I opened it up immediately with the driver still here. Just one small scuff on the bottom and a tiny nick on the back, so I accepted it. I'm always amazed what a beating packing material takes to protect the contents.

So let's start with the first surprise. The cabinet corners look to be the same design as my Tron. There have been different designs over the years, and I was very surprised to see this:

IMG_3811 (resized).JPGIMG_3811 (resized).JPG

Now I need to go move a bunch of games around. I hadn't cleared a spot before I left, so I'll take care of that before I get it up on some legs.

#46 6 years ago

Good to see that the cabinet looks solid. Would you mind posting pics after unboxing? I'm quite interested in the AC/DC vault pro as well. Thanks and congrats!

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

Good to see that the cabinet looks solid. Would you mind posting pics after unboxing? I'm quite interested in the AC/DC vault pro as well. Thanks and congrats!

Oh I'll be posting all kinds of pictures. I'm comparing this to the quality of games from Stern over the years. When I saw the cabinet corners I jumped under games finding the one it was most like.

And of course:

IMG_3819 (resized).JPGIMG_3819 (resized).JPG

If you ever see a game with this nick, it used to be mine. That's the first nick I put in it moving it from the garage to the gameroom. And anyone that owns more than a few games has done it too

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If you ever see a game with this nick, it used to be mine. That's the first nick I put in it moving it from the garage to the gameroom. And anyone that owns more than a few games has done it too

Stern-PinballCover-04a_web (resized).jpgStern-PinballCover-04a_web (resized).jpg

#49 6 years ago

The obligatory half way up picture.

IMG_3824 (resized).JPGIMG_3824 (resized).JPG

#50 6 years ago

More pictures!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/daveh-is-a-hypocrite?hl=shootthepyramid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.