(Topic ID: 134663)

Daughter wants to raid the college fund

By iohonnes

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

no they don't, at this moment in history there is a massive pinball bubble. historically they have all dropped in value with very few exceptions, just like cars.

Actually pins have not really gone down much in value when adjusted to inflation. Cars are not a good comparison. How much is my $40,000 1994 Mercedes 300E worth today? Probably around the price of my $3200 1994 TZ.

History shows that bubbles are usually caused by investors and/or leverage. There are no investors in Pinball and no one I know borrows money to buy them. Because of this I don't see a bubble coming anytime soon.

Pinball is a want not a need though, so People should put money in 401k's, emergency funds and college savings first.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Actually pins have not really gone down much in value when adjusted to inflation. Cars are not a good comparison. How much is my $40,000 1994 Mercedes 300E worth today? Probably around the price of my $3200 1994 TZ.
    History shows that bubbles are usually caused by investors and/or leverage. There are no investors in Pinball and no one I know borrows money to buy them. Because of this I don't see a bubble coming anytime soon.
    Pinball is a want not a need though, so People should put money in 401k's, emergency funds and college savings first.

how can you look at this site and not see people thinking they are investing in pinball? Most games fall in value. Most games went on route and fell in value until they were thrown out. its the crazy people here who think that buying a game then playing it will make it worth even more when they try to see it in a few years.

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

They are a collectible. You have a highly complicated and very large toy. It requires special skills that are expensive to pay for or a large investment in time and money (tools) to maintain. Add in that there is an age band that has an interest in it. IE those of us that played in arcades, most of which died off over before 2000 or shortly thereafter. Eventually these things will drop in value. Might take awhile, but anyone who banks on the value is a fool.

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

They are a collectible. You have a highly complicated and very large toy. It requires special skills that are expensive to pay for or a large investment in time and money (tools) to maintain. Add in that there is an age band that has an interest in it. IE those of us that played in arcades, most of which died off over before 2000 or shortly thereafter. Eventually these things will drop in value. Might take awhile, but anyone who banks on the value is a fool.

Most pinballs do drop in price, just not like cars though, and no one invests in pinball either. So let's clarify those things up front.

If you put 100 hours into fixing a pin - you love doing it. So the time put in is not a drain on those people at all. It is a passion. If you think pinball is expensive you need to try other hobbies like boating, car collecting, paintball, skiing or golf. Perhaps pay an 20% auction fee + sales tax to buy a toy, stamp, or baseball card at auction. 20% sellers fee is paid also. Pinball is cheap compared to other hobbies.

True - If you could not sleep at night if your pins fell 50% in value in one year, you should sell a few and start an emergency fund instead.

I would say the ages of pin players is 25-65. The owners are a small segment right now and growing every year. The main problem is people do not know they can actually own these things. When they do find someone to help them, like you or I, they get hooked. So I say as long as people like you and I are into it pinball will be here for a long time.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from hawksfan:

how can you look at this site and not see people thinking they are investing in pinball? Most games fall in value. Most games went on route and fell in value until they were thrown out. its the crazy people here who think that buying a game then playing it will make it worth even more when they try to see it in a few years.

You invest money to make money. Pinballs do go down in value., so people know it is really hard to make money on them. Is there anyone here that thinks that they can invest in pinballs to make money? Maybe a flipper or dealer, but that is it.

Route games paid for themselves though and new pins still make money today.

Bubbles usually do involve investment and leverage and there is so little of that here I just don't see that coming in the near future.

#56 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

There are millions of eldery people that have to "spend down" their savings in order to qualify for Medicaid and be able to enter a nursing home or the like and have Medicaid cover the differences. This is why this Country is going bankrupt. They're called entitlements.
    A LOT of people aren't fiscally responsible and look to Uncle Sam for a handout. I work in this field. I see it way way too much for my taste. If fact, the majority of the estate representatives I represent deal with Medicaid issues nowadays. It's more common than not.

Gotta disagree here....been through it twice ( Mother in Law personally, and a business acquaintance)....both had six figure savings and cleaned out with major surgery first go around.....then they don't " spend down" their savings, but rather, go through the embarrassment of having to be virtually broke ( give it ALL to a child or relative) in order to qualify for Medicaid.......bullshit.....they worked all of their lives for what, exactly?

Have a major illness once, and it's game over......funny how the " magic #" for targeting savings and investments is never given by the commercials...or your investment agent.....

Yes, our Country is beyond broke, but for much different reasons ( no politics in this forum, thankfully)...

Oh...of course.....don't raid the college fund for the pin...just start a pin fund...our children are going to need all the help possible to succeed in this f**ked up economy.....

Sorry.....touched a nerve w this one......mark

#57 8 years ago

maybe get a 1-2k game. scholarship, it's hers. sold otherwise

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Noahs_Arcade:

i'm twenty-seven. ask me about my government.

Exactly my point......I have four kids ( 27,25,18, and 14 years, respectfully).....your government ( and theirs) scares the hell out of me......

#59 8 years ago

Get the game. More fun than a piece of paper(if you finish).

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Something this Country seems to disregard are the trades. The education systems tends to steer students to college without any thought into the trades. Plumbers, carpenters, electricians, HVAC, etc. All great careers without the necessity of college (and the loans).
    Also, trades type work is always in demand, as opposed to most college based career jobs.

Don't forget Boilermakers, Millwrights, Resilient Floor and Tile layers. Painters, Elevator installers/repair persons. My late dad was a carpenter. He made a good, honest living.

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Don't be stupid.

I agree with Frax - don't be stupid - buy it quickly before they run out!

#62 8 years ago

Meh...buy it play it, keep it in good condition, then sell it in few months/years once you/they get tired of it, for same money, and get best of both worlds.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/daughter-wants-to-raid-the-college-fund/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.