(Topic ID: 196644)

Date for advent of easily detached backboxes?

By Jason_Jehosaphat

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi.

Do Pinsiders have any idea when, approximately, wiring harnesses in pins evolved to the point that separating a backbox from a cabinet completely involved simply disconnecting modular connectors?

The only way I can install a pin in my home is to separate the backbox from the cabinet, and I do *not* want to attempt such a separation *unless* the wiring harness will allow it without too much fuss.

Must I buy a modern Stern, or would a late-nineties Bally/Williams pin have such a harness?

Thanks a bunch for reading. Any insight would be much appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

Probably around 1947 in the EM period.

Simply undo 2, 3, or 4 bolts and unplug 3 or 4 connectors and the headbox lifts right off.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hi.
    Do Pinsiders have any idea when, approximately, wiring harnesses in pins evolved to the point that separating a backbox from a cabinet completely involved simply disconnecting modular connectors?
    The only way I can install a pin in my home is to separate the backbox from the cabinet, and I do *not* want to attempt such a separation *unless* the wiring harness will allow it without too much fuss.
    Must I buy a modern Stern, or would a late-nineties Bally/Williams pin have such a harness?
    Thanks a bunch for reading. Any insight would be much appreciated.

recent Sterns and all JJP games are incredibly simple. Remove the hinge bolts, a handful of cables (seriously, it's maybe 10 - tops), and you're off to the races. WPC are more complicated, but still absolutely doable. Forget about it if you're buying a Gottlieb...

#4 2 years ago

I used to "have to" take the backbox off to get games into my house and then into my game room. I figured out how to remove my sliding glass door (extra 2"-3") and I put them on their backs with the head folded up and strapped and slide them on furniture movers sideways (about 1" skinnier) through my game room door. So much easier even though it still sucks.

Worst one I ever took the back box off was Bally Spy Hunter. The displays were fed from the cabinet and I had to remove a lot of wire dressing and clips to get that head off!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Forget about it if you're buying a Gottlieb...

I've found WPC games to be more complicated and have more of a chance to mix up connectors than Gottlieb games.

#6 2 years ago

If Heighway gets their act together they are by far the simplest. I think there are 2 small connectors for my Full Throttle along with a couple bolts--super easy, no fold down hinge or anything(it's made to come off). You could actually play the game without the head if you wanted.

#7 2 years ago

Gameplan used connectors for all the wiring between head and cabinet so the head came completely off. Sounds great but the connectors are sometimes a real PITA to get apart and all those pins added another layer of unreliability. That is a lot of pins to replace when you get a non-working game.

That is one good thing that Stern did was to make their backboxes fit thru a 28" door. Thank you Stern.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've found WPC games to be more complicated and have more of a chance to mix up connectors than Gottlieb games.

No kidding? bad luck on my end.. or perhaps didn't know what I was doing at the time

#9 2 years ago

Williams 3-7 games all have connectors for easy removal

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Gameplan used connectors for all the wiring between head and cabinet so the head came completely off. Sounds great but the connectors are sometimes a real PITA to get apart and all those pins added another layer of unreliability. That is a lot of pins to replace when you get a non-working game.

On top of that, there is a chance the pins get corroded, making them nearly impossible to seperate without wrecking the connector housing.

#11 2 years ago

Thank you, all of you, for your quick, helpful replies!

I really appreciate it!

It sounds like I was misinformed. I was dead sure that even "System-Eleven" pins from Williams were too old for easy separation. I will have to research "3-7" games, but I assume they are a newer generation from Williams.

You guys are great!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I will have to research "3-7" games, but I assume they are a newer generation from Williams.

Williams System 3-7 preceeded system 11.

It's only with gottlieb that the numbering of the game systems seems odd at first glance.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 110.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pin Mods
    € 9.10
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 16.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 6,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside