Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Roverius
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I recently replaced the caps on my Tommy power supply board, after reinstalling the board, my Power supply fuse for the DMD is blowing. I removed the power cable to the DMD, and I have all my power supplies on the board, plug in the DMD, fuse blows?....sort of coincidental that the DMD would just blow, I did find a bad transistor in the high voltage area of the board. Is this common for a DMD failure to blow the fuse ie shorting out? Thanks Gents.

#3 4 years ago

yeah checked the polarity again....all good, I'm getting the correct voltages at the connector without the dmd plugged in...? so weird.

#5 4 years ago

Yeah did that...one was bad, I wonder if it did something to the display....diodes all good too

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jgadzia:

if you are only blowing the fuse when you plug in the dmd. the short has to be in the dmd or on the cable to the dmd.check and make sure no connectors on the dmd are touching something they shouldnt be.

Yeah that's what I thought too, maybe a screw dropped I to it, but all good.

#9 4 years ago

any way to specifically test the dmd? for a short ( no pun) of replacing it with another? I'll probably just do a color dmd.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The problem is not nessesarily with the display.
Removing the connector from the display just opens the circuit of the high voltage.
The fuse is connected to the center tap of the HV section and is in fact a return fuse.
Anything in the HV-section can cause the short.
A bad transistor can cause the short.
Do you have the oppertunity to test the DMD in another game?
Then you will know for sure.
I think the problem is your HV-section on the power supply board.

Hmmm would it work in my William's game...just enough to fire it up?...I'd have to check the connector pin out

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've seen shorted DMDs before. Before you install the DMD in another game I would urge you to do a short citcuit test on all pins against ground. With the DMD removed from the game, take a multimeter and put it in ohms mode. Take your black probe and touch one of the the metal screw contacts on the DMD for your ground connection. The take the red probe and touch each high voltage power supply pin on the DMD. You should only get a beep/zero ohms/OL on the meter when touching the red probe on the ground pins (only pins 4 and 5). If this happens when touching any of the other pins, the DMD is shorted.
Pin 1: -125 volts
Pin 2: -113 volts
Pin 3: Key
Pin 4: Ground
Pin 5: Ground
Pin 6: +5 volts
Pin 7: +12 volts
Pin 8: +62 volts

I'll check it out tomorrow!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I've seen shorted DMDs before. Before you install the DMD in another game I would urge you to do a short citcuit test on all pins against ground. With the DMD removed from the game, take a multimeter and put it in ohms mode. Take your black probe and touch one of the the metal screw contacts on the DMD for your ground connection. The take the red probe and touch each high voltage power supply pin on the DMD. You should only get a beep/zero ohms/OL on the meter when touching the red probe on the ground pins (only pins 4 and 5). If this happens when touching any of the other pins, the DMD is shorted.
Pin 1: -125 volts
Pin 2: -113 volts
Pin 3: Key
Pin 4: Ground
Pin 5: Ground
Pin 6: +5 volts
Pin 7: +12 volts
Pin 8: +62 volts

VCC, which is pin 6, 25 ohms, everything else off scale (meter set at lowest range), so I'm going to guess that its not shorting out? ...

#15 4 years ago

So my color dmd came today, installed it, it powers up(able to see menu ect), but now my cpu won't boot. PIA is on steady (no blinking), but my blanking led never comes on...5v on as well. Book says 6821 may be bad, replaced all of them (rottendog board mind you). and still no difference....thoughts gents.

#17 4 years ago

yes...normal voltage a solid 5v. Need some info on the blanking circuit...Does the 555 make a steady output for this? Is this something that I should be able to see with a logic probe?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
Flipper Parts
TheDudeMods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

€ 25.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 18.95
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 27.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 45.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider monkfe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/date-east-dmd-fuse-blowing?tu=monkfe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.