You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-11-19 20.06.25.jpg
switch-matrix-chart.png
right_slingshot_ass.png
#1 10 years ago

As a total noob in pin ownership and maintenance all feedback is hugely appreciated.

Having had my first pin (LW3) for some days now i have found a few oddities, it has a very nice play-field
and plays well except for a few things (the poppers kicks well but it is hard for the ball to activate, another post, and) the right slingshot shows a few oddities.

Usually in game play it fires seldom. in game diagnostics it fires all the time, in self test of 'missing ball' it fires all the time (but rarely when manually closing the triggers), when ball is locked in guns fires when triggers are closed, some times it fires fairly well during game play.

The coil kicks well when it fires.

Where to start? What could be the fault?

(see attached video)

Thanx for reading
/Micael

#2 10 years ago

Well that's weird, never had that problem myself, but I would check the wiring on the switches first. It's possible they're loose or have bad solder connections. I have had plenty of things act funky only to find a bad or broken connection.

#3 10 years ago

As RonB said, check the wires at the switches and then trace them back to see if they're getting pinched someplace (especially round the gun area).

It fires in diag and ball search because the switches aren't being used--the CPU is directly firing the solenoid. So the problem is with the switch wiring.

#4 10 years ago

The switch blades needs to be gapped so they aren't touching. Then when you press them, they should touch. It looks like they are touching right from the start?? Hard to tell...but hopefully it's that simple lol

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

The switch blades needs to be gapped so they aren't touching. Then when you press them, they should touch. It looks like they are touching right from the start?? Hard to tell...but hopefully it's that simple lol

This^^^^^

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Its not that simple, they are aprox 1-2mm apart, thanx anyway.
Sometimes the obvious are overlooked.

#8 10 years ago

It looks to me like that are sporadically working. So maybe just try and clean the contacts. Squeeze the blades together and run a business card through them a few times...

#9 10 years ago

It really looks like they are touching on the right side to me..they have to be totally seperated at the top where the contacts are...

Gap them farther apart...then push them together to test...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It looks to me like that are sporadically working. So maybe just try and clean the contacts. Squeeze the blades together and run a business card through them a few times...

Thx, first fix ill try to apply when i get to my pin

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It really looks like they are touching on the right side to me..they have to be totally seperated at the top where the contacts are...
Gap them farther apart...then push them together to test...

I will also double check this first

#12 10 years ago

Ok, im back for some more, much needed guidance. I have checked the two easy things today, the switch gap and the oxidation on the (the business card trick) switch surfaces. All good to go, but still no response.

I did a thorough diagnostics and only found two bad lamps and three flashers plus the right slingshot switches
The coil fires in diagnostics, so nothing bad there. The slingshot switch is the only non working in its row & column in diagnostics (so that indicates that the boards are all fine and dandy, right?)

I measured with a multimeter (beep on ohm setting) the following (see image)

1-2 - circuit closes when manually pressing the switch together
3-4 - same as above
1-3 - circuit is closed
2-4 - same as above
right_slingshot_ass.pngright_slingshot_ass.png

As a non electrician i would appreciate some detailed help of how and what to do next in my fault finding quest.
I assume the problem would lie some where along the green-black or white-blue wiring (a short?). How do i measure? what to look for?, what settings to use in the multimeter?

What is the "thing" just below "4" connecting 4 and white-blue wires? What is it for/does it do? If its faulty, how do i measure to figure that out?

Sorry for all the questions, but im all new to every aspect of pin-balling and i am eager ti learn it all.

Thanx for reading
/Micael

#13 10 years ago

Check the diode with the diode test of your multimeter.
Make sure that green/black wire(at your 3) is making it's continuity all the way to it's connector in the head and not only to it, but also to it's next hop on the MPU board. Do the same continuity check for the white/blue wire (at your 4).

Report findings here.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Make sure that green/black wire(at your 3) is making it's continuity all the way to it's connector in the head and not only to it, but also to it's next hop on the MPU board. Do the same continuity check for the white/blue wire (at your 4).
Report findings here.

Do I understand you correct if I should do a continuity check between the point at the switch and the point at the MPU board to see if the circuit is working the whole length of wire?

#15 10 years ago

To clarify: The following Switch Matrix Chart is the result of my diagnostics test.

switch-matrix-chart.pngswitch-matrix-chart.png

/Micael

Edit: i realized that i did not test the two tilt switches and there are no "left coin" or "4th coin installed"

#16 10 years ago

When measuring over the diode it felt a little "spongy", a closer exam gave that the leg was broken and loose at the solder point, giving contact once in a while.
2013-11-19 20.06.25.jpg2013-11-19 20.06.25.jpg
That was the cause of the odd behavior. A solder later and the sling now works like a charm. A test-game later made me feel like the poppers has become a bit more sensitive as well, not so lazy (as described in one of my other posts) is it imaginary or could the faulty diode solder affect the poppers behavior?

Thanx a lot for the great support and directions of what/how to move forward. Its invaluable for noobs like me.

/Micael

#17 10 years ago

Sweet, that's a hard one to find a lot of times. Good work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-odd-slingshot-behaviour and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.