Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200814_142436 (resized).jpg
lw-playfield-142.png
Backbox-419.png
LW3 start button.JPG

#1 10 years ago

Ok, here I go again

I have spent a few hours on my LW3 pin finding all the lamps and their placement. I have then created an excel scheme over the lamps referring to the two images (play field and backbox) where I have placed the different types of lamps as an overlay.

I figured this could be useful for any of you that are aiming for LED-replacements or updating the pins light.
It helped me structure my needs ant wants.

So here they are, I hope it will spare you some time....

Just give me a shout if it seems like i have missed out on something.

Btw. Color code on images is as follows: Orange-Flashers; Green-Lamps; Purple-GI

Thanx for reading
/Micael

Post edited by mima : File attatchements seems to work again, but I can not uppload a zip or excel document

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/828999/LW3_Lamps_and_Flashers.xlsx

Backbox-419.pngBackbox-419.png

lw-playfield-142.pnglw-playfield-142.png

#2 10 years ago

Nice work, too bad I already put LEDs in my LW3 about 9 months ago. This would have saved me a lot of time and effort. I'm sure there are plenty of others who could benefit from this.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from kcpinchip:

Nice work, too bad I already put LEDs in my LW3 about 9 months ago. This would have saved me a lot of time and effort. I'm sure there are plenty of others who could benefit from this.

Did you swap the start button bulb as well?
How does one replace that bulb?

#4 10 years ago

I did swap the start button light for a red LED, but it was way too bright so I put the incandescent bulb back in. As far as replacing it it, you will have to raise the playfield to get good access to it.

#5 10 years ago

I didn't realize there were so many flashers on this game. Im getting ready to do a LED conversion on mine also.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from kcpinchip:

I did swap the start button light for a red LED, but it was way too bright so I put the incandescent bulb back in. As far as replacing it it, you will have to raise the playfield to get good access to it.

I have looked at it but i do not get how to access the lamp itself. What and how to dismount from the start button assembly

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I didn't realize there were so many flashers on this game. Im getting ready to do a LED conversion on mine also.

I was a bit surprised as well, not only flashers but the amount of lights. I t ink ive got it all right, but i am not 101% sure of it

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mima:

I have looked at it but i do not get how to access the lamp itself. What and how to dismount from the start button assembly

With mine I had to remove the screw for the red ground wire first. Then there are 2 small black tabs on the bulb housing that have to be pushed/pinched in. This will allow the whole bulb housing to pull out of the start button.

Sorry for the blurry pic, my phone is a piece of junk.LW3 start button.JPGLW3 start button.JPG

2 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

Now the pin is shopped and LEDed. Plays superfast and bright. Awsome!

Thanx for reading
/Mima

1 month later
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from mima:

Ok, here I go again
I have spent a few hours on my LW3 pin finding all the lamps and their placement. I have then created an excel scheme over the lamps referring to the two images (play field and backbox) where I have placed the different types of lamps as an overlay.
I figured this could be useful for any of you that are aiming for LED-replacements or updating the pins light.
It helped me structure my needs ant wants.
So here they are, I hope it will spare you some time....
Just give me a shout if it seems like i have missed out on something.
Btw. Color code on images is as follows: Orange-Flashers; Green-Lamps; Purple-GI
Thanx for reading
/Micael
Post edited by mima : File attatchements seems to work again, but I can not uppload a zip or excel document
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/828999/LW3_Lamps_and_Flashers.xlsx

Backbox-419.png 4.4 MB

lw-playfield-142.png 6.0 MB

Just a bump, to help you out if you are on a LED-replacement quest....

2 months later
#11 10 years ago

Thanks from me as well. Very useful!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Thanks from me as well. Very useful!

Thanx, I hope you will benefit from it. Please point out if it has some errors in it, and i will update the material

cheers
/Micael

1 month later
#13 9 years ago

What a fantastic job!!!!! Great pics!!!! I will be doing my LW3 right after I do my TMNT. This is a great benefit. On the other 2 machines I restored, I had drawn on some grid paper and put them in the manuals.

2 years later
#14 7 years ago

I am getting ready to LED my LW3 and the Excel file would be very helpful but the download link no longer works. Does anyone still have a copy of the spreadsheet they could send me?

Thanks.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from csbelli:

I am getting ready to LED my LW3 and the Excel file would be very helpful but the download link no longer works. Does anyone still have a copy of the spreadsheet they could send me?
Thanks.

I agree, I could use this file as well if anyone still has a copy they want to share.

#16 7 years ago

I just LED'd my Lethal Weapon about a year ago. Overall, it looks great, but there are times when it's a bit too much. For example, when ALL the GI (playfield AND backbox) flash when multiball is ready, it is a bit seizure-inducing if you're playing in a dark room. I've got a plan to fix that, but I've loaned the machine to a buddy, so I cant try it right now.
Just keep it in mind. I'd think about leaving some of the backbox GI incandescent so the bulbs don't do such a sharp ON/OFF when they're flashing, but that's just me.

Jeff

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from csbelli:

Thanks.

Ill try to get it up as a google spreadsheet instead, just need to locate it (if I still have it)

cheers
/mima

#18 7 years ago

id like to have it to please!
thanks in advance!

#19 7 years ago

Thank you mima for looking for the file, I appreciate it.

Thanks Grangeomatic for the suggestions. I was thinking about leaving most if not all the back box as incandescent for that reason. Did you primarily color match the inserts? Are you happy with the colors you choose?

#20 7 years ago

Ok.. here we go a reworked sheet, Ther may be a few errors and oddity's, it´s been a long time since i LEDed my LW3, I am not sure that this guide I made is 100% correct...

I hope this url works for you guys.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bIVS2l99MoLLjaU-mrgQsTvaORH6RmgjAKOgocYGmOw/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers
/mima

#21 7 years ago

This link works and this will be very helpful. If I find any errors I will post an updated version.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

#22 7 years ago

thanks a lot verry helpfull!

3 years later
#23 4 years ago

6 years later and still helping out new owners. Great helpful thread. Thanks!!!

Wish there was a collective post of all of these bulb diagrams, I'd rather build my own color LED kit than buy one someone else created. 100%

1 month later
#24 3 years ago

I am from PORTUGAL and i ve a few monhts a pinball machine.
I have same problem wth my LW3 to change lamps incandescent to LED ones. I ve the very usefull scheme ( thanks ) but i m not an expert in that things...i really need some advise .
In play field there are in total 28 lamps to change ,called " flash lamps ", right? What is the reference ? There are 35 lamps GI to change ,what is the reference ? And green lamps 67 , which reference ?
Therefor i need to knohw were can i buy those Led Lamps ,please.
I think that is better to begin whith those ones and if that works change the upper box lamps.
Hope someone can help me and my best regards to all of you and hope that the pandemic days finish very soon and we will be allright.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from turgal:

I am from PORTUGAL and i ve a few monhts a pinball machine.
I have same problem wth my LW3 to change lamps incandescent to LED ones. I ve the very usefull scheme ( thanks ) but i m not an expert in that things...i really need some advise .
In play field there are in total 28 lamps to change ,called " flash lamps ", right? What is the reference ? There are 35 lamps GI to change ,what is the reference ? And green lamps 67 , which reference ?
Therefor i need to knohw were can i buy those Led Lamps ,please.
I think that is better to begin whith those ones and if that works change the upper box lamps.
Hope someone can help me and my best regards to all of you and hope that the pandemic days finish very soon and we will be allright.

turgal everyone has their own opinions on LEDs and what they think looks best. Please do what YOU think is best for your machine. I did not change the flash lamps on my machine because I feel that the LED flash lamps are too bright. So whenever I change any of my machines over to LEDs I do everything but the flash lamps. I just feel like they are blinding during gameplay and that's the last thing I want when I'm trying to focus and play a machine well.

Thanks!

EDIT: WWW.cometpinball.com has a great selection of LED bulbs and their website explains it very well if youre just getting started!

4 months later
#26 3 years ago

I have just noticed that the lamps on the UZI clip and the UZI itself are RED.
My lamps are YELLOW.
What color do they have to have? Or, is it a colored screen on the playfield?

Also, is it possible to resend the exell file again please

IMG_20200814_142436 (resized).jpgIMG_20200814_142436 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#27 3 years ago

I just finished LEDing my LW3 and this guide was great. It saved me so much time and money. This was my first LED job and it was great to have a guide to make my own decisions instead of just buying a kit and living with whatever they included.

5 months later
#28 3 years ago
Quoted from DrFred:

I just finished LEDing my LW3 and this guide was great. It saved me so much time and money. This was my first LED job and it was great to have a guide to make my own decisions instead of just buying a kit and living with whatever they included.

I'm happy that my old guide helped you out!

Comet Pinball is now selling a led kit based on my guide.

Great people, awesome quality LEDs....

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

6 years later and still helping out new owners. Great helpful thread. Thanks!!!
Wish there was a collective post of all of these bulb diagrams, I'd rather build my own color LED kit than buy one someone else created. 100%

I'm happy that you're happy with my old guide.

5 months later
#30 2 years ago

I see on the COMET site they said they used non-ghosting LED's in the kit, I was planning on doing a DIY based on mima 's diagram. Thanks Mima. Looks like it will save me as well a lot of time and money.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

I see on the COMET site they said they used non-ghosting LED's in the kit, I was planning on doing a DIY based on mima 's diagram. Thanks Mima. Looks like it will save me as well a lot of time and money.

I'm just glad that it still is of some use. Cheers!

1 week later
#32 2 years ago

The link to the excel file seems to be broken. Can you check and see if it works for you? Thanks. I’m trying to troubleshoot a few lamps and think this file would be a great aid.

5 months later
#33 2 years ago

Can someone explain for me how to use the chart. I'm wanting to do the conversion to LED bulbs. Do I need multiple colors? I see others say to just use warm white bulbs for GI and leave the flashers alone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-lamps-flashers-scheme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.