Topic Stats

• 2,379 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 hours ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rvapinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#446 5 years ago

Hey friends! I was in the LW3 club, then had to leave as a nice Getaway came my way. However I love the game and I was happy to find a project LW3 to try and get working 100%. I'll describe current state, hopefully some of you fine folks can help me along my journey. I'm excited to get this game playing

Good:
Game boots to attract mode. Thanks cabuford
It will start a game - back in action!
Sound is bright and clear
DMD bright and clear
All switches seem to work as they should
Most coils work

Bad:
Plunger coil doesn't fire
Flippers don't work
#2 hole VUK coil doesn't fire

When I start a game and hit the flipper buttons, the LEDs flicker on the flipper board under the playfield. However something interesting I noticed when I hit the flipper buttons, was that the fuses closest to the front of the cabinet glowed as I hit the button(corresponding to whichever flipper button I hit). Does this point to a particular problem area?

As far as the other coils not firing, seems like there are no loose wires etc going to those coils.

For what it's worth, the 5v and blanking LEDs on the CPU are solid lit as the repair manual says they should be.

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Does the Laser Kick work, or the knocker?
Check the fuse at F5 on the PPB board. Looks like that's for the 50v that goes to the those coils and the flippers.

Good question, those are two coils I didn't think to check. I'll report back this evening on those and the fuse status.

I still think it's odd that those fuses on the solid state flipper board would glow/blow even if the flippers weren't getting power. Hmmm

I found this thread that points in that direction, might give me some leads.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lw3-blowing-fuse-constantly

#450 5 years ago

cabuford you're right, those fuses control the low power to the flippers. I'll replace the 50v fuse on the PPB and the two on the Flipper Board and see what I get.

#451 5 years ago

Alrighty, confirmed that the 50v fuse was blown on F5 on PPB. Replaced with CN2 on Flipper Board plugged in. Blew the fuse on power up. Replaced F5 fuse again, unplugged CN2 on Flipper Board, powered up and immediately blew fuse.

Per the link I mentioned above, seems this indicates there's a problem with the other coils' circuit, not the flippers.

My next step is to remove connector J8 on the PPB, the return for that circuit. If the fuse still blows there's probably a ground short somewhere. If not, there's a problem with a coil, diode, or transistor most likely.

Edit: I disconnected J8 and the fuse did not blow - probably no ground shorts. I'll pull the PPB and test Q4 transistor. Wiring at coils looks good at first glance, but could definitely be coils or diodes causing the problem as well.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Nice work! Do you hear or see anything specific coil lock on or does it just blow?

I watched the fuse and listened at power up. It blows instantly, and the general pop at power up masks any noise, if a coil did attempt to fire briefly. Next step to test all associated transistors to those coils. If I find a bad one, I'll replace it and test the associated diode/coil to make sure it's good(or replace).

2 weeks later
#458 5 years ago

Quick update on tracking down my LW3 issues. Replaced the Q2 and Q3 transistors that were bad . Also replaced the corresponding coils/diodes on kickback and VUK. F5 no longer blows and those coils work yahoo! Left flipper worked, Right flipper wasn't working correctly. The transistors and SCR on flipper board were bad. Flipper would be fine at boot, then when you flip for the first time it would stay up. I replaced flipper coil diode, tested coil, and ended up buying a new solid state flipper board to speed up the troubleshooting/repair process. I now have a flippable playable game which is fun! Just have some various adjusting to do. Thanks to cabuford for lending his power supply to help turn this from a non booting mess to a flippable game!

I do need a kickback nylon plunger tip - does anybody know what part that is? Do you buy just the tip, or a whole plunger and shaft? Marco wasn't able to help when I called them. Edit: think I found the part. $20! Lot to play for a little plunger, but guess it's better if the kickback works.

3 weeks later
#461 5 years ago

Congrats. LW3 is a ton of fun. Great music, lights, fun shots, fast orbits with spinners, and actually pretty balanced rules I've found

7 months later
#547 4 years ago

Diplomatic immunity revoked!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,800 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rvapinballer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=rvapinballer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.