Topic Stats

• 2,380 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by HE-MAN44
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

2 years later
#2185 10 months ago

Hello, LW3 owners. I wanted to give a personal update regarding the three piece ball deflector/plastic protector set that Willie68 and I have been developing. After a couple of iterations the shape of the pieces have been finalized, and are currently being tested for functionality and durability. To give everyone a little background if you are not familiar with me, for the last 5+ years I've been designing and selling pinball mods as a hobby. I openly offer many 3D printed mods for a variety of games, apron cards, decals, as well as a variety of custom projects. One of the services I offer are custom plastics, and I've been making these for the last couple of years.

Willie68 came to me a few weeks ago needing a set of ball deflectors/protectors for LW3, and we've finally connected and worked on the project together (he is local to me and owns a LW3). The result is a 3-piece laser cut acrylic set of protectors to prevent ball launches on the center and right target banks as well as a protector for the left stand-up target bank plastic. There is a falsehood out there that acrylic is not good for making pinball plastics. Actually, extruded acrylic is more durable that PETG that pinball plastics are made from, it is crystal clear and will never yellow, the material I use is thicker (3/32"), acrylic never warps due to heat generated by pinball lamps, and it can withstand ball impact even better than PETG plastics (also, nearly all plastic protector sets on the market are made from acrylic, not PETG). Over the last 3+ years I've been making and selling pinball plastics, and I've literally sold hundreds of pieces for a multitude of games without a single failure reported.

With all of that stated, I'm going to do a single run of the 3-piece LW3 protector set. The set will be $50 including US shipping, and I need anyone who is interested to please PM me to get on the list. At this time no payment will be required but once we sufficiently test performance over the next week or two, then I will set a cutoff date and provide payment information (will be via PayPal or personal check). If you miss getting in on the first run, I will not be making these on a one-off basis, so this may be your only opportunity.

As far as installation goes, the left and right protectors are designed to be mounted under the OEM plastic. The center will be mounted over the current plastic because otherwise it sits too low (i.e. interferes with the targets). You can use all of the existing hardware, except the right helicopter plastic will require two longer replacement screws. I believe these are #6, and I'm working on sourcing these so I can include with the set of plastics.

Please post if you have any questions, and I'll be happy to respond. Until then, don't forget to PM me if you want to get on the purchase list.

Be default, all plastics are clear, but for an extra fee I can add customized laser etching.

Center Target BankXXZB1603 (resized).JPGXXZB1603 (resized).JPG

Left Target BankUMAC8874 (resized).JPGUMAC8874 (resized).JPG

Right Target BankMQGI0366 (resized).JPGMQGI0366 (resized).JPG

#2188 10 months ago
Quoted from Krentz:

The protectors look great! I am hoping to put some mirror blades in mine and I was worried about the ball smacking the side of the cabinet so often and breaking them, so this should hopefully solve that problem. I'll definitely be ordering a set.

Typically, mirrored blades are highly polished metal so not they are not going to break (I have a set on my AFMr LE, and really like them). However, they do scratch rather easily and certainly can dent from ball impacts.

#2190 10 months ago

FYI, for those interested here are the shapes of the three plastics along with secure points (i.e. holes for screws). For the left piece it is designed to use existing screws on the blue dome which will stick through the holes but not actually grab (you can always replace the OEM wood screws with sheet metal screws and nuts on bottom side). For the right plastic, it uses the top post and the two helicopter posts. I will include 2 x 1/2" #6 screws since the OEM screws on these posts are too short to support any additional thickness to the plastic.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2195 10 months ago
Quoted from Willie68:

Just in case here are the apron cards for LW3 made by Mr_Tantrum installed on our machine. They look great![quoted image]

BTW, I also make chrome vinyl DE center apron logos for those who have ratted out ones.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/finally-new-chrome-logo-solution-for-data-east-aprons

#2196 10 months ago

After 50+ games with protectors/deflectors installed, everything has performed perfectly and successfully addressed airballs coming off the targets. Therefore, I'm now officially taking orders for the 3-piece set as well as apron cards and chrome DE apron decals.

To order, please PM me and I will provide payment information:

- 3-piece plastic protector/deflector set with two replacement screws for helicopter posts | $50
- 2-piece custom LW3 apron cards | $12
- Chrome Vinyl apron DE logo | $12

CUTOFF FOR PAYMENT IS MONDAY, JUNE 5TH AT 8:00AM CENTRAL.

Again, if you miss the cutoff I will NOT be making one-off orders.

Here is current list of those who have confirmed interest:

willie68
pin_fandango
kba78
krentz
bozotheclown
sirgubster9

#2198 10 months ago
Quoted from Krentz:

I haven't decided that yet. That will probably be one of the last things I add after changing out the bulbs with LEDs, replacing plastics, cleaning the playfield, etc., to minimize playfield lifts. I am worried about scratching too.

That is a good approach. I've torn up a couple of sets of decal blades since I installed those first before doing a ton of other mods/work. Lifting the playfield up and down dozens of times will certainly lead to at least one human error.

#2210 10 months ago

Saturday morning reminder that all orders for the 3-piece protector/deflector set closes at 8:00am Central on Monday, and there will be no exceptions.

Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing a set and/or my apron cards & DE chrome decal.

Thus far the following have placed orders:

BozoTheClown
kba78
Krentz
Sirgbster9
slizzap
Willie68

#2211 10 months ago

This will be my last alert before the 8:00AM Central cutoff tomorrow morning regarding ordering the 3-piece plastic protector/deflector set. As a reminder, the set is $50 including US shipping (international shipping extra).

Thank you to everyone who has purchased thus far, and I will be providing tracking info via PM when your package ships.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_tantrum.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=mr_tantrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.