Topic Stats

• 2,380 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by HE-MAN44
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 55 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(147 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1405 2 years ago

Is there a way to adjust the left saucer to avoid those constant drains? I catch it with the tip of the left flipper but most casual players at the arcade get SDTM.

Also noticed a strange coincidence. My kickback works every time EXCEPT when I’m playing an extra ball, then it won’t activate. Happened 3 times now. Works before and after the extra ball but will not kicksave the extra ball.

Curious if the ramp is supposed to be backhandable? My flippers seem extremely strong, and they’ve already broken 3 drop targets, yet the ramp requires a PERFECT shot or it won’t go. Just checking if this is by design or maybe something’s wacky in the flippers.

3 weeks later
#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

Anyone else notice this on their game? Danny Glover apparently has a 5 foot long dick. Haha
[quoted image]

I figured that was old news.
The second I got mine I noticed it. Those sly dogs at the DE art department!
The shit-eating grin really brings the piece together.

I imagine they told the line guys “to line up the flipper guides, just make sure to nail him in the crotch”

Any sources for the blue dome? I called Steve and he gave me an earful. He loathes that I always call him for DE parts. Paraphrasing slightly: “Respectfully, maybe you should look into buying a different manufacturer, one that actually did QC?”

#1474 2 years ago
Quoted from JustJared:

And yes the clamp is new,
Looks like both versions of mine have a spring attaching to the bottom of the coil
[quoted image][quoted image]

This is how mine is as well, and I can vouch that it has never been touched from the factory. This guy didn’t fix ANYTHING.

1 month later
#1547 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Anyone replace the stand up targets recently?
I purchased new stand ups from Pinball resource but they came without diodes, just looking to see how someone else did it so I make sure I do it right…
Anyone got images of their diodes on new drop targets…

I ordered mine about a month ago and Steve said he was out of the translucent yellow standups. Are they back in stock?

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

I got mine from Pinball Resource - Marco or Pinball Life never had them - always out of stock. They worked great thanks to ALexRogan84 for the pics and the help on the install (they differ slightly on the tabs).

I should have clarified, Steve is the owner of Pinball Resource, he’s the “grumpy” guy on the phone. Did you email them instead? I’ve never gone that route.

1 week later
#1602 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

It's funny because I thought the same way about boards and mine is also brand new. I didn't buy it but the guy I bought the table from just put in a brand new "Pin-tek" power supply. That appears to be what the issue was. I spoke to the team that made the board and they noted that the newer resisters and power supplies can have trouble with the high voltage the old Data East DMD draw. Basically old power supplies do better in their opinion, mainly because of the quality of the older resisters/capacitors. They said the older the DMD the quicker the problems can develop. Sadly my old power supply still "works" but is unreliable and just a real mess that isn't worth the cost to salvage. Thus I'm kicking around a new color DMD.

I would recommend saving an old boards and selling them to someone who wants to fix them (nothing really beats rebuilding the Originals) or sell them with the game when you sell it. I always appreciate getting the old boards with a game even if they don’t work at the moment!

My LW3 is having some sound issues. The game constantly says “we’re back in action!” over and over again while attempting to play the music. The music cuts in and out or sometimes totally disappears but the sound and noises all remain.

Where should I start looking, or does anyone know what the issue is? For reference this game is bone stock, been on route it’s entire life and never had any upgrades or rebuilds. I repinned half the burnt connectors already, but otherwise it’s been a tank.

1 week later
#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

Finally after 11 years of Research, I managed to find the original dome not broken[quoted image]

Holy sweet lord, HOW?!? WHERE?!?

I’m having a new issues today on my lethal weapon. I posted about my sound randomly resetting when the volume gets too loud, such as when multiball starts it keeps saying “we’re back in action!”

Now the left flipper is staying energized. In the middle of my game this morning when I fired up the arcade, the left flipper engaged and stayed on, low power, and when I opened the door I felt the coil and tried tugging the link. It’s not magnetized or bad stops, it’s definitely somehow staying energized, but the flipper button is open.

Any idea what could be causing such a strange issue?

#1631 2 years ago
Quoted from jamex:

My first dome is also broken at the top, as I will never sell the pinball, I will keep this dome in the best possible way

Is it possible for someone State-side to acquire one of the rare NOS domes and send them to one of the ramp makers for them to make new plastic domes?

#1632 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

On your flipper issue, look at the first 10 minutes of this video. He had a similar issue on his Data East "Hook" and traced it to the flipper board:

I’m having the reverse issue that the flipper hold
power is locking ON. However his video seems to suggest maybe the transistor is locking on the flipper board. I’ll give it a check

Can someone with an original dome take some clear pictures of it with the plastic off? I don’t want to replace mine, I’ll get this one working. I think it’s missing some sort of connector between the reflector and the motor. It’s different than a Mars light.

#1638 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexRogan84:

Could someone post some pictures of what the official, original dome and mechanism look like? Installed and / or uninstalled.

That what I was asking for above.

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m having the reverse issue that the flipper hold
power is locking ON. However his video seems to suggest maybe the transistor is locking on the flipper board. I’ll give it a check
Can someone with an original dome take some clear pictures of it with the plastic off? I don’t want to replace mine, I’ll get this one working. I think it’s missing some sort of connector between the reflector and the motor. It’s different than a Mars light.

#1644 2 years ago

Swapped in a working flipper board, the rottendog replacement I had way back for my checkpoint.
Same issue.
Think I found the problem.

29F0C626-897D-4800-A25B-4170F23DAB43.jpeg29F0C626-897D-4800-A25B-4170F23DAB43.jpeg6E6B8998-F837-4584-9F0A-D39C2180D84E.jpeg6E6B8998-F837-4584-9F0A-D39C2180D84E.jpeg
#1652 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nope, thats all lamp matrix at least in the image posted.

Wow then what resistor is the one that’s burnt up?!

Quoted from gdonovan:

1) Does the flipper stay on when the flipper board is unplugged?

No. But I tried pulling the low voltage fuse and then the high voltage fuse for the left flipper and in all cases (one pulled, than the opposite pulled than both pulled) the flipper still would energize and the hold circuit would lock on. It didn’t seem to blow any fuses or anything.

Quoted from bushav:

I had a coil locking on (VUK) when I purchased my pin. I chased the issue for weeks. Only after buying a logic tester was I able to do some real trouble shooting. It turned out to be corrosion under the connector assembly. I had to desolder and clean up the board. That said, the most common cause is a shorted diode. You’ve got to dig into the schematics to troubleshoot your issue. If your coil isn’t blowing a fuse or melting diodes I’d say your flipper board is functioning correctly as it would seem to be switching to low voltage as a hold current which is correct response to a constant “on” command.

As mentioned I swapped to a working flipper board and same issue. Fuses pulled same issue.
Worked for several months on route prior without issue. Also was routed it’s entire life in a bowling alley with minimum upkeep until I got it

3 weeks later
#1705 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Related to the voltage that the controlled lamps receive.

Oh, they still work even with that resistor totally smoked. Any idea?

The flipper board ended up blowing the fuse after all, and I swapped in a rottendog and my brand new board let out the magic smoke. Blew up C46.
Pretty pissed off. Might start a tech thread. Any suggestions on what to check?
Again the issue is intermittent left flipper locking on. Happened with both the original CPU and the rottendog. Happened with both new and old flipper board.
What else may be the issue here, possibly the PPB board?
Very Frustrated chasing this.

1 week later
#1715 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Oh they can but the voltages might be off. You will have to meter the voltages on that string and compare to the others. I have a Siegecraft test lamp matrix I plug in and the string could be picked out with the naked eye.

1) Check the diodes on the coils and coil resistance.
2) The flipper circuit is fairly well contained looking at the manual. I would look close at the diodes and coils, examine the wiring too and fro to the board and check your voltages at the board connectors. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Bad diode! 8C0AFEF6-DE59-441E-A6C7-E3AD26FC643B.jpeg8C0AFEF6-DE59-441E-A6C7-E3AD26FC643B.jpeg
Looked good! Had weird results testing it. Went to bend it away from the coil to test better and found this:
E2F606B0-6975-488D-B97B-AB97ADBD1498.jpegE2F606B0-6975-488D-B97B-AB97ADBD1498.jpeg
Broke right where it meets the flipper! Strange and sneaky!
The diode and flipper intermittence suddenly made sense. This stupid diode issue also caused the transistor on the flipper board to blowup so that’s why it was hard to track. One issue had caused 2 that made the flipper stick!
What’s the part # for the flipper transistors?

#1721 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Could just solder it back.
1N4004 or 1N4007 diode would be fine, I use 4004 can keep about 50 around.

I tried, it was bad anyway.

Now it’s good as new! I’m so happy

1 week later
#1725 2 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I have mirror blades on mine. I bought them from pinballsidemirrors.com. I don't think they are still in business though. They have been on for about 2 years with no scratches. I am careful when lifting the playfield each time. I also installed a thin felt strip (1mm thickness) on each side of the playfield to help with scratches .
This is the felt I bought:
amazon.com link »

Gonna use this on my BPM which chews up the sides when you lift the playfield!

2 weeks later
#1737 2 years ago
Quoted from STLOkie:

Where should I add the motorcycle toy?
1)ramp entrance,
2)scene 2 pop out
3) rear right back by the mirror
4) launcher area
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not a fan of toys, but I like 3 because the back right corner is barren and forgotten. Thanks DE!
2 looks really cool but that area is so busy that the motorcycle gets lost in it

1 year later
#2244 9 months ago

WEIRD ISSUE!

I walked up the my LW3 on location, and the flippers don’t work, the shooter lane doesn’t work, and when you hold the flipper button it activates the kickback/laser-kick.

Any ideas what would cause this?!? This is the 2nd major issue it’s had and the power supply was recently rebuilt. The other day it was locked up with no images and total garbage in the RAM. It ruined 30 years of audits I was pretty upset!!

#2246 8 months ago
Quoted from prl867:

I’m sorry I do not have an answer for you, but I’m just shocked and pleasantly surprised that someone still has this old classic on location! Bravo, sir!
The mesmerizing eyes of Mel Gibson deserve to be revered by all.

I’ve got all the weird ones on location! LW3 is fairly popular.

Turns out Q3 fried for some reason. Not sure why. Blew up the fuse which also powers the auto-plunger and flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,800 (OBO)
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.