Topic Stats

• 2,374 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by koji
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“I am planing to make my self a set of repro plastics and are considering a making a very very limited run of sets. Are there any interest out there for this?”

• I would run and grab me a set since there are no NOS made for this pin 69 votes
    47%
  • I would want to get a few single plastics, some are missing on my pin 54 votes
    37%
  • My pin has some beaten up plastics but I prefeer original plastics 5 votes
    3%
  • Nah, waste of moey. the pin plays well without / with warped and beaten up -plastics. 18 votes
    12%

(146 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8176 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8175 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8174 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8172 (resized).JPEG
IMG_8173 (resized).JPEG
IMG_1258 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240213_090711 (resized).jpg
IMG_8944 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8935 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8934 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20231205_203432.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 10.05.03?AM (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_3222 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 LW3 3.0 Chad Code Released! Posted by ChadH (3 years ago)

Post #1536 LW3 Apron Cards Posted by Malenko (2 years ago)

Post #1559 LW3 Lamp Layout Posted by AlexRogan84 (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1878 1 year ago

Picked up a LW3 over the weekend. It has a nice playfield and looks mostly already filled with comet LED's. Currently it partially boots with (some) GI, music, no DMD, and a random coil pop once in a while. The GI looks to be a connector issue. When I fiddle with one of the IDC connectors the rest of the GI will come on. That will get re-pinned along with a trifurcon connector. The MPU is original and does not appear to have any corrosion that I can see, unless it is underneath the battery pack. Its a clean board. A couple of the other boards are aftermarket. I haven't gone further than this at this point.

I have just began looking into the various and common problem points on a DE machine as this is my first. I have headers/trifurcon connectors/pins. I plan to rebuild the flippers too. Anything unique I should throw in the parts order?

#1881 1 year ago

Thanks for the input gents. I will certainly check the spots mentioned. I also read about the LED lights on the MPU and need to check those at startup. I know after its on, only the 5v is lit, nothing from the other two. I will watch it to see if there is an error message next time.

#1882 1 year ago

PIA light flashes very briefly at startup. I do get the quick back in action callout. The boards actually look really nice. Some are new repro, power supply is a rottendog and the playfield power board is a gulf pinball. The mpu has no corrosion at all. Connectors and headers (including the 4x3 molex mentioned above) all look pretty nice as well. I have been reading through the pinwiki articles and Clay's guides. I don't have the test rom, but I was thinking about ordering that along with all the Chad 3.0 roms. I need to take a look at what I have for the display roms to make sure I order the correct chip.
Pop bumpers and drop targets all look to be in really nice shape top side.

#1885 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check the 5v, the RD board is a big red flag in my experience.

I have 4.96 at the +5v to near cn17 on the mpu. On the power board I have voltages that all look pretty close to spot on at cn5 and cn6.

It looks like my issues is on the mpu at this point. I have the Leon test rom coming along with the 3.0 set. I grabbed a 6802 and a pia chip just in case as well.

1 week later
#1893 1 year ago
Quoted from Utubereefer:

Well crap… I pull the trigger and nothing happens. I’m guessing I gotta replace the shooter solenoid. Does this part number looks right?
[quoted image]

Before replacing a coil, check the switch, diode, and connectivity. Coils are less likely to fail.

1 week later
#1900 1 year ago

Summary of what all has been done to this LW3 I have:
Non-booting, no DMD, flaky at best GI, etc- went through the main chips, CPU, RAM, ROM. Swapped to no avail. Was about to send the MPU off when I found a random solder blob shorting two pins on the back side of the MPU. Removed that and the game booted with DMD, attract mode, etc

Now that it was booting, the trough kicker was not firing. I had voltage, coil fired when I shorted the transistor to ground. Transistor has been replaced at some point previously and I found one of the legs was not making connectivity due to a obliterated pad. I fixed that up and put in a TIP 102 since the transistor that was there was reading a little different than all the others. Then the coil was locked on. Back to beeping out the board. ChrisHibler was giving me advice along the way and suggested the 7408 upstream. I installed a socket and a new chip and we are "Back in Action!".

Big thanks to Chris.

Today I swapped the IDC connector for the GI with a trifurcon. GI is fully working.

I also put in a flipper rebuild kit from pinballlife. I bought the kit that was listed for LW3. When installed the stoke is very short on the flippers. When aligned at the holes with the mech resting on the rubber nub, the flippers only got to "flat" or even when fully raised. I did some bending work on the rubber stop end of the bracket to get some more stroke travel. I also worked on grinding off a bit of one of the coil stops to get more travel. I probably have to do a bit more to make them match. I was wondering if this one had something different, but the parts look similar to other machines that I saw pics of.
Anyone else have any weird issues with flippers?

3 weeks later
#1906 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Please fix the typo in the title... my OCD can't take it anymore.

the haf one part? Isn't that a play on Leo's accent?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one?tu=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.